Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II and AF 540 FGZ - Manual HSS / Manual not working - or am I doing it wrong?

Hi all, I have a K3 II and a AF 540 FGZ.

I have a couple of problems. One problem is that I can't utilise High Speed Sync when the camera is in Manual mode and the flash is set to Manual / HSS. What happens is that my shutter speed drops to 1/180th as soon as I half press the shutter? If I then leave it for a few seconds the shutter value on the camera screen reverts back to the preset value, half press the shutter again and it goes back to 1/180th again. However if the flash is set to P-TTL then the manual shutter speed does stay at it's preset, faster than 1/180th value.

Then in every other mode other than manual, HSS is working fine - BUT, the flash will not stay in manual mode instead going into P-TTL. So say I have the camera in Tv - I set the shutter to 1/500 and have the flash set to a manual output. As soon as I half press the shutter the flash goes into P-TTL?

I have tried the flash on my K5 and the results are exactly the same. The K3 II has been updated to the latest firmware V1.1

What am I missing!!!???

09-19-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete Prue Quote
I can't utilise High Speed Sync when the camera is in Manual mode and the flash is set to Manual / HSS
What am I missing!!!???

You are missing the fact that on the Pentax flash units HSS is a P-TTL mode only. You cannot use HSS and manual flash output together.
09-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are desperate to use HSS and manual flash power control in combination, you could get two Cactus V6II triggers and remotely control the flash power from the camera. The flash would remain in P-TTL mode, thus would keep supporting HSS, while the V6II trigger on your camera would give you manual control, or P-TTL as you desire.
09-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are missing the fact that on the Pentax flash units HSS is a P-TTL mode only. You cannot use HSS and manual flash output together.
Thank you pschlute, that's exactly what I was missing. Is this the norm on other flash systems as well or is this a Pentax thing?

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you are desperate to use HSS and manual flash power control in combination, you could get two Cactus V6II triggers and remotely control the flash power from the camera. The flash would remain in P-TTL mode, thus would keep supporting HSS, while the V6II trigger on your camera would give you manual control, or P-TTL as you desire.
Thanks Class A, I have three V6II triggers on their way from B&H so I should have that capability. I really thought it would have been something available on the camera though

09-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you pschlute, that's exactly what I was missing. Is this the norm on other flash systems as well or is this a Pentax thing?
Yes, and no. There have been other threads where this was discussed; IIRC, Nikon and Canon are in the same boat with Pentax. One of the mirrorless brands (Sony?) offers HSS in manual mode, but that flash system had zero logic on the flash itself.

Steve