Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Metadata and JPG files

I ran into missing exif info on some images I shot as JPG and edited with Darktable then saved/exported as JPG.

I usually shoot Raw and have had no problems saving/exporting to JPG's with exif intact.

In researching the problem I found this remark "I would suspect it is because the metadata is too big and don't fit into jpg.".

Well, they were correct.
I edited the same image and exported as a TIFF and the exif was there, I then re-saved as a JPG with Faststone and the exif was still there.

I guess I don't understand why The exif data is in the original JPG and not in the edited version until it is saved as Tiff and re-saved as JPG.

I guess I need some schooling. Can someone explain.
Thanks
Craig

09-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Craig. There was a bug reported for this issue back in 2015. Supposed to be fixed as of 2016. Turned out to be neither an exiv2 nor a darktable bug. The JPEG format can only store up to 64k of metadata which was supposed to have been fixed a while ago. Here is a link to the original bug report:

Bug #11130: Export to JPEG issues - missing metadata - darktable - darktable - photography workflow application

If you are hitting this now, best to bring it to the darktable devs attention.

Jack