Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Help me identify these Pentax models!

Hi, my first post in this forum, so thank you in advance for your attention.

My grandfather used several photo cameras, mostly Pentax, through his life, and I am trying to know which were some of them. I only have a few pictures of him with these cameras, and the year must be around the 50's and the 60's, but I can't be more precise. Maybe some of you experts can help me find out which cameras these are?

Thank you!

Attached Images

09-23-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dont think they are Pentaxes....
09-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
The first one says PENTAX, doesn't it?

He had a MX, but then he had other pentaxes. The old one might not be Pentax, but the one from the first picture that says "PENTAX" on top, should be a Pentax, right? It is not so easy to read, that's true, but the A and X and pretty much exact.
09-23-2018, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TommySan Quote
The first one says PENTAX, doesn't it?

He had a MX, but then he had other pentaxes. The old one might not be Pentax, but the one from the first picture that says "PENTAX" on top, should be a Pentax, right? It is not so easy to read, that's true, but the A and X and pretty much exact.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that first one might be an Edixa...

I'm pretty sure certain the first one is a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex. The Zeiss Ikon symbol is on the top of the prism housing, with Contaflex above the lens.

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-23-2018 at 08:01 AM.
09-23-2018, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, you can just make out 'Contaflex' in the first picture.
09-23-2018, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And I believe the camera in the third photo is a Bolsey B2 rangefinder, or otherwise, another Bolsey model.
Attached Images

09-23-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that first one might be an Edixa...

I'm pretty sure certain the first one is a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex. The Zeiss Ikon symbol is on the top of the prism housing, with Contaflex above the lens.
You are sooo right Mike. Thanks a bunch, it is defenitely a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex. Never heard of this one before, that was very helpful.

09-23-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And I believe the camera in the third photo is a Bolsey B2 rangefinder, or otherwise, another Bolsey model.
Thanks again, this seems to be the right track to find the exact model and lens he was using back then. The top logo is from the Bolsey and is the perfect hint to find which it was exactly.

Thank you again, amped at your knowledge man!
09-23-2018, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The second photo of the closed case is probably a screw mount Leica with collapsible lens, given the very short lens nose on the case. The shape is certainly right for a Leica from the 1920s into the 1950s, when Leica was among the most popular good camera. The rounded case ends show it isn’t a Canon RF, and while there were other copies of the Leica in the 50s, his Contaflex would be consistent with a German camera.
09-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The second photo of the closed case is probably a screw mount Leica with collapsible lens, given the very short lens nose on the case. The shape is certainly right for a Leica from the 1920s into the 1950s, when Leica was among the most popular good camera. The rounded case ends show it isn’t a Canon RF, and while there were other copies of the Leica in the 50s, his Contaflex would be consistent with a German camera.
I believe the case is for the Bolsey camera in the third picture.
09-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe the case is for the Bolsey camera in the third picture.
I think you're right. If you look at the lens bump, it's flattened at the top. This is quite a distinctive feature of Bolsey cases
09-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
It's defenitely the case for the Bolsey, which also has a very short lens. but thanks!
09-23-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are right - that and the case rides farther out from the man’s body. A Leica would be quite flat, while the Bolsey had a trapezoid shape with a deep back.
09-23-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Your grandpa was super cool!
09-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Your grandpa was super cool!
Thanks. He totally was, for sure. The coolest photography stuff I have seen comes from his father though, from the late 1800’s!