Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Any suggestions about what this is on my lens?

Hi new member here! Finally got around to registering after visiting as a guest for months. What a great site!

Today I've been going through some lenses that have been given to me and I've noticed this mark along the edge of the front element of my SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. Sorry the photos aren't exactly great but hopefully you'll be able to see what I mean.

What would you say this is?

Apart from this mark, the glass is spotless, perfectly clear and the coatings looks pristine. I've yet to run any film through the camera but I don't imagine that this will effect IQ.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated (apart from perhaps that I should take better close-ups )

Greg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G10  Photo 
09-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could either be de-lamination of the glue that normal holds the element in place, or a spill of some sort.

Looks like a similar thing happened here:

Pentax Reflex Zoom - front element delamination - really a problem? - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could either be de-lamination of the glue that normal holds the element in place, or a spill of some sort.

Looks like a similar thing happened here:

Pentax Reflex Zoom - front element delamination - really a problem? - PentaxForums.com
Cheers Adam. Yes looking at it closely I see what you mean.
Hopefully it is a spill of some sort. I think tomorrow I'll give it a gentle tickle with a Q-tip and see if that improves it any
09-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't be afraid to dampen the q-tip with a bit of lens cleaner - some stains can be stubborn and simple rubbing may not budge them (if you rub too hard it can be detrimental and lens fluid will act as a bit of a lubricant). If there is any abrasiveness to whatever is on your lens, that could damage the coating - keep it soft and gentle. A better choice would be some lens tissue if you have access to it.

09-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I doubt it'd affect the image since it's on the front element and on the very edge of the lens circumference. If you feel so inclined to try and remove it, then I echo other's sentiments by using a clean Q-tip and some lens solution, otherwise I'd leave it alone if it doesn't impact the end result.
09-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I doubt it'd affect the image since it's on the front element and on the very edge of the lens circumference. If you feel so inclined to try and remove it, then I echo other's sentiments by using a clean Q-tip and some lens solution, otherwise I'd leave it alone if it doesn't impact the end result.
Cheers all you guys for your input!

Pleased to report that whatever that crud was around the front lens element has come away with a few applications of lens tissues and lens cleaning fluid. I'll probably never find out what it was, but rest assured I'll look all around before I next swap filters!

ps. Today I managed to get my hands on an unused spotless example of a SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 for 79GBP on eBay. I think it was listed for all of 5 minutes

All the best - Greg