Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Death of K-3 LCD?

I take it that this is death of my K-3's LCD? I next swapped lenses, and got no screen at all, just black. The camera still takes pictures and blindly goes through menu settings. I can move by "click-feel" from single shot drive to two-second delay, for example. But I think this is toast. Any opinions or suggestions? Has anyone seen this before, or repaired it, or or seen it restore on its own? Feedback appreciated, including the obvious advice to now get a K-3ii . . .

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LEICA Q (Typ 116)  Photo 
09-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks that way. It could be the screen itself, or just the wiring. In any case, it's easily repairable at a service center.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 II first showed display glitch few weeks ago. I could make out more of the display, but many lines/pixels were offset.

It happened again a second time about a week ago and that day, the display decided to go all black. I could take photos, adjust exposure etc. I could even review photos and enter video mode. But normal screen, LV, WB, ISO, Flash and Drive Mode screens along with Info and Menu wouldn't.

Auto-focus didn't work either and I couldn't adjust ISO. In P mode, the camera would auto focus on it's own.

I've sent it in - still awaiting diagnosis and a quote.
09-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I take it that this is death of my K-3's LCD? I next swapped lenses, and got no screen at all, just black. The camera still takes pictures and blindly goes through menu settings. I can move by "click-feel" from single shot drive to two-second delay, for example. But I think this is toast. Any opinions or suggestions? Has anyone seen this before, or repaired it, or or seen it restore on its own? Feedback appreciated, including the obvious advice to now get a K-3ii . . .
I don't think it is just the screen.

Could be a ribbon cable popped loose, or lost the reference voltage on the driver board.

Either way, looks like a service call for sure. Unless you want to connect it from the HDMI port to an external monitor. Not very convenient...

09-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Unless you want to connect it from the HDMI port to an external monitor. Not very convenient...
But perhaps good for narrowing the source of fault. If the HDMI port is able to drive a television or external monitor, the issue is with the screen itself of its connections.

Steve
09-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No longer have black screen -- the banded view has returned reliably, but still banded. I had been carrying the K-3 in its case, screen facing UP, under another camera case in a backpack. I am assuming that, the two padded cases notwithstanding, the weight of the other case impinged too heavily on the LCD and deformed it enough to damage some contacts. I don't believe it is moisture, even though this was my river-work camera.