Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Lens compatibility from a zx50 to a k3

Hello ive had a nice zx50 for a very long time I love it. im thinking of getting a K3 and I see I can buy just the body at not a bad price and im wondering will the lenses from my zx50 that I have fit and work correctly on the new K3.

Thank You
Jim

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.
09-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #2

All your lenses should be compatible with a K-3. Check the resources below.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-28-2018 at 05:15 PM.
09-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
hmm I do not see either lens on those 2
well these are the 2 I have

1.smc pentax-fa 28-80mm came with camera
2. sigma DL macro super 70-300mm
09-28-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Older Pentax lenses almost always work on newer bodies. However, I'd recommend you get some modern glass for that K-3

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by godzuki Quote
hmm I do not see either lens on those 2
well these are the 2 I have

1.smc pentax-fa 28-80mm came with camera
2. sigma DL macro super 70-300mm
Yes. Both those lenses are compatible with the K-3. They will have a different FoV on the K-3 (APS-C) than they had on the ZX-50 (FF), but they will work just fine. The 28-80 will have a normal to telephoto FoV (43-120 equivalent) and the 70-300 will be telephoto to super-telephoto FoV (105-400 equivalent).

I would suggest getting the DA 18-55 WR at the very least, the 18-135 or 16-85 would be even better...
09-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

As I recall the biggest incompatibility will be with the power zoom functions like the retract on power off.
09-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As I recall the biggest incompatibility will be with the power zoom functions like the retract on power off.
ZX-50 never had the contacts for power zoom.

09-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
ZX-50 never had the contacts for power zoom.
Power zoom you mean auto focus sorry I'm a newb at some of these terms. I know ours did auto focus and the lenses moved by itself but you could switch to manual.

I'm basically getting this for a trip I'm going to take next year. I'm riding my motorcycle from Indiana to Alaska and the artic circle and back. It will take me 4 weeks. I know I'm going to want to take pics and I want some thing easy to shoot and to store the images. The 35mm rolls well those will take up space and there would be a ton of them. I can snap alot of pics and I like how far the digital slrs have come. I also liked how easy my zx50 was to use. So I've decided on the k3 which is a realy nice price right now and I was hoping to save some cash if the old lenses will work which it sounds like they will. I may get another modern lens to take with me for comparison and see what that's like.
09-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #9

Power zoom you mean auto focus sorry I'm a newb at some of these terms. I know ours did auto focus and the lenses moved by itself but you could switch to manual.

I'm basically getting this for a trip I'm going to take next year. I'm riding my motorcycle from Indiana to Alaska and the artic circle and back. It will take me 4 weeks. I know I'm going to want to take pics and I want some thing easy to shoot and to store the images. The 35mm rolls well those will take up space and there would be a ton of them. I can snap alot of pics and I like how far the digital slrs have come. I also liked how easy my zx50 was to use. So I've decided on the k3 which is a realy nice price right now and I was hoping to save some cash if the old lenses will work which it sounds like they will. I may get another modern lens to take with me for comparison and see what that's like.
The powerzoom was something introduced on their more expensive bodies and lenses. You could zoom the lens by twisting the ring as in many zoom lenses. But if you moved the ring back, it became sprung loaded and the lens was zoomed electrically. It could also be used for other functions.

More information here Features and Operation of the KAF2 Mount | The K-Mount Page and here Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features | The K-Mount Page

However, neither of your lenses had the powerzoom facility so not really relevant to you. However if they had, the powerzoom can be used on a K3. Because the K3 has an APS sensor, it would be worth getting a lens which covers the wider angles as has already been mentioned.

Last edited by Kim Coxon; 09-30-2018 at 04:55 AM.
09-30-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add one new lens in the wider and weather resistant department and you’ll have a nice set up for the trip. Personally I’d recommend either the DA 20-40 or the 18-135, both are WR and with the K3 will give you a WR kit for those times you get stuck in the rain.

Enjoy the trip and be sure to share some pictures!
09-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add one new lens in the wider and weather resistant department and you’ll have a nice set up for the trip. Personally I’d recommend either the DA 20-40 or the 18-135, both are WR and with the K3 will give you a WR kit for those times you get stuck in the rain.

Enjoy the trip and be sure to share some pictures!
09-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
Okay I understand now no mine do not have this.

Yes the wide angle I've been seeing and water proof or is that weather resistant. I'm sure at some point on this trip it will rain on me lol I have all water proof gear just for this but I hadent thought about the water proof. Thank you.
09-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay I understand now no mine do not have this.

Yes the wide angle I've been seeing and water proof or is that weather resistant. I'm sure at some point on this trip it will rain on me lol I have all water proof gear just for this but I hadent thought about the water proof. Thank you.
You probably will see package deals with a WR lens in the deal, one of the ones other people mentioned. It's nice to have at least one WR lens for a little extra piece of mind, and it my work out better to buy it with the camera.
10-01-2018, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #14

Original Poster
okay thank you all I just ordered the k3 and a 18-135 wr lens to go with it. woo hoo

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.
10-01-2018, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

okay thank you all I just ordered the k3 and a 18-135 wr lense to go with it. woo hoo
Enjoy the new kit! It is very capable and should provide you years of great service!