Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Also take a head whose size roughly matches that of your tripod.
Thanks for such considered advice.
The velbon base has a circumference of 5".Whether the ball is 54mm or smaller seems like it will fit. I'm a bit worried a really small head would look disproportionate.

In UK import duties make many of the suggestions quite a bit more expensive than in USA. An exception is benro, I can get benro b2 for £77 and it seems to meet your criteria. It's got friction control, separate drag adjustment and lock knob, and 40mm ball. PU-60 qlr plate and 5" head.

No one on the thread has recommended them yet, so it's less appealing despite the high specification.

Lots of recommendation for Sirui and as it's not a lot more I may go for one of these, the k40x is £99 excluding duty.

10-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the Neewer Gimbal head for my wife. On Ebay for $60.00. Am well pleased with the quality out of the box, too soon to say how it will perform long term. A gimbal requires a level tripod. In that respect it works much like a pan and tilt as it does not allow all the angles of a ball head. Arca Swiss is the way to go, it is easy to adapt an Arca clamp to any head.
10-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My heavy tripod has a joystick on it. Very versatile.

My lightweight tripod has a ball head on it. Stable and compact but useless for moving subjects IMHO.
10-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just make sure whatever brand you go for in a ballhead, make sure it has a separate pan adjustment, so as you can get the angle right on the ball section, but still pan freely.

10-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go with an Arca compatible head. BUT you should also consider getting an L bracket. Modern cameras with their polywhatever bases do not grip very well to tripod heads and your camera tends to move on the head in portrait position and, if nudged slightly, in landscape. My K3 and Nikon D610 are both less secure on my tripod than my old beast of a camera, my Bronica Etrs.
10-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Patricia1066 Quote
An exception is benro
No one on the thread has recommended them yet, so it's less appealing despite the high specification.
I hear that Benro is ok, especially their newer heads. Some older stuff isn't as well regarded.

Lots of recommendation for Sirui and as it's not a lot more I may go for one of these, the k40x is £99 excluding duty.
The K40x is huge. Really huge.

Let's put it this way : I use a K-1, 60-250 on a K10x head and it does not come close to reaching its limit.

Except if you regularly use an ultra-tele (in which case a gimbal would be better) you'd be well served with the K1-x or K20x at most.
10-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I hear that Benro is ok, especially their newer heads. Some older stuff isn't as well regarded.

The K40x is huge. Really huge.

Let's put it this way : I use a K-1, 60-250 on a K10x head and it does not come close to reaching its limit.

Except if you regularly use an ultra-tele (in which case a gimbal would be better) you'd be well served with the K1-x or K20x at most.
Review here which slates the benro b0 head, even a kit lens caused creep as the b0 just couldn't support camera and lens safely.

Review: Benro Travel Angel A-1691TB0 - The Phoblographer

Probably will get the sirui k10x

Last edited by Patricia1066; 10-06-2018 at 01:17 AM.
10-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #23

Original Poster
I chose the Neewer ball head, 360 panoramic and Neewer L plate.

All the suggested criteria are met, and I'm happy with the security of the camera using the supplied plate.

I also bought the Neewer L plate. This isn't compatible with the ball head unfortunately, and is currently secured with a rubber band which gives necessary grip to the clamp.

The quality of the ball head is very good, and the knobs provide effective control of the ball movement.

The L plate is very well finished, and can be fitted to the K5 leaving access to the battery and card slots.
Total £26 for both.