Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #1

Help me choose a tripod head please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm close to decision time, 2 ball heads are in my price range but maybe there are others.

Price range up to £70 for K5ii and heaviest lens currently vivitar zoom 28-90

Tripod is Velbon VE3 an oldie but goodie.

Thanks

10-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a pistol-grip Vanguard pistol grip one a few years ago. It has a trigger you can use with the camera's input jack, so it's very convenient.
Vanguard ALTA GH-300T Pistol Grip Ball Head ALTA GH-300T B&H

It's a bit out of your price range but pistol grips are something to consider if you do wildlife work.
10-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #3

Assuming you are in the UK I guess it is always going to be cheapest buying locally with free shipping?

Vanguard TBH-250 Magnesium Ball Head for DSLR Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Vanguard Alta BH-100 Ball Head - Anthracite: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

For 70 pounds you aren't gonna get something super duper I guess but just decent. With this one you get an Arca Swiss-ish plate which is nice to have if you wanna use a L-bracket (although other options may exist).

For 100 pounds you are looking at much more qualified heads.

Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head, Magnesium Body with 200 PL: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Vanguard BBH-200 Ball Head for Pro DSLR Camera and: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
SIRUI K-10X Ball Head with Quick Release Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
10-04-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I tried a bunch of different tripods and heads. My heaviest setup runs around twelve pounds. Many say they will handle that weight, well, they will hold it up but I found stability lacking. I now have a Feisol 3472 tripod and Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head. When I load it up it doesn't move. When I lock that head it stays put at any angle. Is it overkill, maybe, I dont have to keep spending over and over on weaker products. YMMV.

10-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
For 100 pounds you are looking at much more qualified heads.

Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head, Magnesium Body with 200 PL: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Vanguard BBH-200 Ball Head for Pro DSLR Camera and: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
SIRUI K-10X Ball Head with Quick Release Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

pretty happy with the sirui ball head here..
10-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is my favourite Manfrotto MA410 Junior

Manfrotto MA410 Junior Getriebeneiger - Calumetphoto.de
10-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #7

+1 for anything SIRUI - I use the SIRUI K-40X + W-2204 CF Tripod. Never have to worry about any lens or camera weight at any angle again.

10-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

The Manfrotto 460MG Magnesium Three way tripod head with QR Plate
10-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions some of which I have added . I missed out mentioning the two I chose originally.
Benro g00
Sirui G20kx
10-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Markins

First of all I would highly suggest staying with something that has an Arca Swiss quick release system. There is nothing wrong with Manfrotto heads, but a lot more options are generally available with Arca Swiss.

Almost 15 years ago I had to make the choice too and after much analysis I went with a Markins ballhead (Korea). It is possibly the best single equipment choice I ever made. Hot cold, wet dry, dusty. It has never failed me and was less expensive and lighter than Kirk, Really Right Stuff, or actual Arca Swiss (which had a famous issue of locking up).
10-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the Oben 117T travel head, but they also make the normal 117. I had it for about two years and it hasn't had any problems. I mounted it on a Manfrotto 190x. The head maximum weight is 8kg, but I've used aboout 2kg max on it. It has a ballhead plus an independent horizontal panorama panning knob. It uses Arca-swiss compatible plates.
10-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
Wish I could ignore the budget I set myself, the better heads do seem a long lasting choice with none on second hand market.
Sirui 40x has a limiter which seems to borrow from the Markins. I like that feature and the 54mm ball. Any other ball heads that meets these criteria?
10-04-2018, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Suggesting a particular brand is difficult. There are many good ones. I'll start by suggesting an arca-swiss compatible head instead.

Then there's budget and features. You didn't mention if you want a gimbal, ball head, something else. Ballheads are the most common so let's start from there.

Relatively inexpensive products include brands like Sirui (think maybe K10x based on your description, no need for more) and Oben (not familiar with all their products). Vanguard, Velbon and a few others also make nice products, not as cost-effective.

Prices can go up from there. Manfrotto do offer some arca-swiss heads, and their new pneumatic heads look excellent. Gizto and others are expensive, and luxury items.

In all products, look for a head with adjustable friction, locking pins for the plate, ideally a low profile included plate except if you already own one, independent rotation and ball operation. A larger ball will be stronger and give smoother friction but will be heavier, that might be an issue. Also take a head whose size roughly matches that of your tripod.
10-04-2018, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another recommendation for Sirui. Solid and not too expensive.
10-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got this geared head. Loving it and think it is great value.
Attached Images