Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

K7 Night sky photography

I want try taking an image of the milky way. (All the rage now &#128526

Unfortunately, the camera doesn't seem to operate in that low of light. I turn the camera on, see the battery indicator for a moment, then the LCD screen goes blank. I tried several different modes with no success. When I'm back in a normal light setting, the camera operates as normal.

Is night photography not possible with this model? Or is there a setting I'm missing?

10-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

So the camera powers on in daylight, but not at night ..... Is that really the specific problem? Is there a big drop in temperature at night, as it sounds like a battery issue.
10-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-7 and night photography is possible. As Mcgregni hinted, the battery might be suspicious. How many shots can you do normally How cold is it a night time? The battery life can be as much as 50% lower in cold temperatures.

BTW do you use Liveview or the OVF? Personally I use the OVF and always switch off the LCD screen to save battery.

Hope that these comments may help you....
10-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The back LCD will go black if it is showing you a picture preview (live view or video mode) and there is not enough light. You won't see stars in the preview, because the exposure times required are multiple seconds, even with a fast, wide-open lens and high ISO.

Set your shutter speed to 30 seconds, focus on infinity and take a test shot, and you'll start to get an idea of what you're working with.
One other tip... run pixel mapping before you start. This will clean up most of the hot pixels, which can otherwise ruin your shot.

10-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photographing the Milky Way is a little more involved than point & shoot and all we know is that you have a K7. Variables include lens, filters, location, weather and a lot of other things. Since you don't get anything on the LCD I suspect that Canid is correct and there simply isn't enough light but we can check that easily. So, step by step...

Set the camera on a tripod and aim the camera more or less at the horizon

Remove any filters and lens caps from the lens.
Turn the camera on

Lens aperture wide open
Exposure mode manual 15 second exposure time

ISO 1600
Autofocus off.
focus to infinity

Drive mode 2 second self timer
Press the shutter release. When the exposure is complete*, check the LCD. If nothing appears on the LCD boost the ISO to 3200 and repeat. If you get white speckles (stars), the camera is working fine and you can start refining your technique.

*If the High ISO and long exposure noise reduction is on, the exposure will take twice as long as you think. It's not a problem with the camera. It's normal and we can work on that later. Right now we just need to be sure that the camera is working.