Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lens repair tool recomondations.

So I decided to do my first eBay "as is" gamble. I've been finding that my Magnicon 70-210mm (Tokina AF745) hasn't been fulfilling my zoom needs with railway photography and the low cost of this lens presented an opportunity to learn how to dismantle, clean, and repair a lens.

While screwdrivers are not an issue, there is the issue of which spanner wrench would be the most cost effective if I even need one. Also, is there any special tools I need when dealing with the electronics of a KA lens? In addition, is there any other tools I should consider?

10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DrMindbender Quote
So I decided to do my first eBay "as is" gamble. I've been finding that my Magnicon 70-210mm (Tokina AF745) hasn't been fulfilling my zoom needs with railway photography and the low cost of this lens presented an opportunity to learn how to dismantle, clean, and repair a lens.

While screwdrivers are not an issue, there is the issue of which spanner wrench would be the most cost effective if I even need one. Also, is there any special tools I need when dealing with the electronics of a KA lens? In addition, is there any other tools I should consider?

There are no "electronics" in a KA lens. The contacts are passive.

Features and Operation of the KA Mount | The K-Mount Page
10-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spanner wrenches are available on ebay.
10-06-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Needed but not a tool

There are small parts which are easy to lose. you need to have good light and a clean and uncluttered work space. Also spread a pad or towel to prevent parts from rolling or bouncing away. I used a white towel. A head mount magnifying aid will also be good if you have one, a pair of readers will also work. Parts on a mount all have to fit the camera so are very interchangeable between lens. I bought a DA* 60-250 f4 for parts only, used a pair of doner lens and bought an aftermarket foot and a pentax hood. Total cost $365.00 for a DA* 60-250. All working except auto focus thru the OVF, works fine thru Live View. Good luck and have fun trying.

10-06-2018, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screw drivers MAY be a problem. Many lenses use JIS screws, not Philips. They look similar but are not. It is quite easy to ruin a JIS screw with a Philips driver.

My kit includes:
- parts box
- several types of tweasers
- several magnifiers
- spanner
- JIS screwdrivers
- needle nose pliers
- magnetic pickup
10-06-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I listed my own lens servicing tools in a post some time ago, HERE.

I believe that's still a fairly accurate list, although I add to it and swap things out from time to time...
10-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I should be asking at this point whether there are any tiny springs to be worried about. I am well aware of their ability to teleport away at a moments notice and would rather not deal with them.

The good news is that I have most of the tools needed thanks to my interests in electronics and model railroading. It's just the more lens specific ones that I'm currently lacking. Also, I've seen lots of different spanner designs out there. Is there really a difference beyond "whatever works for you"?
10-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Springs

The contacts on the lens mount are backed up with very small springs. The contacts look like balls when you look at the lens mount. Before I took the mount off I expected them to be round with springs backing them. In fact they are round ended cylinders with the ends of the springs inside them. If you lose one or more any old lens can be a donar. Stop-Loss is in part where the white towel comes in, the parts wont bounce or roll on it.

10-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrMindbender Quote
Is there really a difference beyond "whatever works for you"?
Not all lenses will be the same so a spanner that works well on one brand might not be 'best' on another. Get a decent one that is adjustable and don't fret over it. UNless you intend to do a lot of lens repair. My 'best' spanner is actually a set of draftsman's dividers I picked up at a yard sale for $2. Whatever works.

One trick when concerned about springs and contacts is to do the tricky bits with the lens inside a large plastic bag. Sort of like a glove box. If things go sprong at least all the pieces are in the bag.
10-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not all lenses will be the same so a spanner that works well on one brand might not be 'best' on another. Get a decent one that is adjustable and don't fret over it. UNless you intend to do a lot of lens repair. My 'best' spanner is actually a set of draftsman's dividers I picked up at a yard sale for $2. Whatever works.

One trick when concerned about springs and contacts is to do the tricky bits with the lens inside a large plastic bag. Sort of like a glove box. If things go sprong at least all the pieces are in the bag.
I wasn't joking about the teleportation bit. No matter how hard I try to contain things with tiny springs, the springs still manage to vanish to the sound of loud colorful metaphors.

That said, I'm hopeful that I won't have to touch the contacts this time since it looks like the fungus is on the front element which is a common problem for slider zooms from what I understand.
10-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #11

When I needed a spanner wrench I splurged on one from SK Grimes. It was around 50 USD but it is a solid and well crafted tool. The ones on Amazon for around 12 USD have gotten a lot of criticism for being wobbly and sketchy to use.

Jatrax is right in that if you're only going to do this a couple of times then use something like calipers, dividers or holding two screwdrivers. However, if you think or plan on working on lenses more often then buy a proper wrench. Being a mechanic I learned long ago the value of having the proper tool for the job and while a make shift tool will work, it's easier to slip and scratch or mar something.
10-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #12

In Tomas Tomosys books : Camera maintenence and repair you will find many tricks and tools
10-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Screw drivers MAY be a problem. Many lenses use JIS screws, not Philips. They look similar but are not. It is quite easy to ruin a JIS screw with a Philips driver. . . .
the OP and other interested parties might want to review this:

" Cross-head screws - a caution:

Posted By: pacerr, 10-22-10, 11:03 (Offline)

Those screws that look like Phillips 00 and 000 in Japanese cameras and lenses? They aren't. They're JIS cross-heads and life's a lot simpler using JIS screw driver bits on 'em.

Whether you do this only once and run into trouble, or intend to do it often, it's worth your sanity to do it with the correct JIS tools so you don't risk stripping a screw head. T-shirts should be available for those that have been there, done that!

Sooner or later, you'll be sorry if you don't use the JIS bits since the Phillips bits make great roto-rooters in JIS screw heads because they don't fit all the way into the cross slots as you can see here: . . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/119344-c...#ixzz5TLxrMa33

" I ordered this from Ifixit.com

" This is our set of hard to find JIS drivers in #000, #00, #0, #1 sizes. Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws are very common in personal electronics from digital cameras to RC Helicopters. JIS screws are often marked by a single dimple pressed into the screw head.

JIS screws are not designed to "cam-out" or strip the head when overtightened like a Phillips screw, and can be damaged if a Phillips driver is used. JIS drivers can be used in both JIS and Phillips screws with no damage.

This made in the USA set of 4 JIS drivers matches our Professional line of screwdrivers and has ergonomic swivel top ESD safe handles. "

JIS Driver Set ESD / USA / USA - iFixit

they are made by Moody . . . "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/119344-c...#ixzz5TLxfcg5r

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2018 at 09:11 AM.