Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter

action setting w k-30

Using the action scene on the K-30, what is the default speed?
I never use the scene settings but my niece is having some blur w the action scene on the k-30 and 18-135 that I gave her when I updated to new pentax. I ask her to bring me the camera in order that I can check her set up but would like to know that default....thanks in advance

10-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a program line not a single default.

---------- Post added 10-07-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

Maybe you can get some pics with EXIF Data and post them.
10-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I’d think Shutter Priority would be better for action, speed depends upon how fast the action is. May want a good flash for fast action.
10-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes I would use shutter priority but my niece wants to keep it simple....I told her to use the tv with auto iso
I would like to know how the scenes work since I never use those settings....can you still set auto iso w action scene?

10-09-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A reasonably simple thing would be to use TAv. Set shutter speed to something like 1/1000th or 1/1250th, set aperture to f/7.1, let ISO go where it needs to.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 10-09-2018 at 10:24 AM.
10-09-2018, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by follansbee Quote
I told her to use the tv with auto isoI would like to know how the scenes work since I never use those settings....can you still set auto iso w action scene?
You can use Auto ISO (and set minimum and maximum) with any of the positions on the mode dial. I have never used SCN on my K-30 before this, so I did some experiments. There isn't a minimum shutter speed in the Moving Object mode, but the camera seems to be programmed to keep shutter speed at 1/500 if possible. This mode also seems programmed to maintain lots of depth of field, depending on the focal length, if there is enough light, even by increasing the ISO setting to 6400. If there isn't enough light to get a proper exposure at ISO 6400, then it opens up the aperture and if that isn't enough, it increases the ISO setting to the maximum you have set and eventually will decrease the shutter speed so you can take a picture.

On more advanced Pentax models, it is possible to set program lines for the "P" mode in the camera 's menu and in AUTO mode, the K-30 will select one of the SCN modes based on focal length and available light and possibly change that mode once the camera activates auto-focus. In AUTO and SCN on the K-30, you lose control of the shooting mode of your camera and auto-focus mode. The camera's choices on the K-30 can be less than optimal. For instance in almost every situation, AF.C is useless on this model and unless you have lots of depth of field, continuous shooting is going to give you continuously out of focus shots. In fact, I suspect the reason your daughter's pictures are blurry is because they are out of focus, not because the shutter speed is too low. In my experience, 1/500 is fast enough for everything but hummingbirds and bees (I won't attempt a dragonfly, unless it is resting), especially if you are panning with the camera.

With the K-30 and the 18-135 lens, I would recommend Tv mode, set shutter speed to 1/500, Auto ISO with a range of 100-12,800, AF.S and Continous Shooting (Lo). There is also a setting for Shutter Priority or Focus Priority in the menu, and depending on what you are photographing, changing this setting can help. If there is lots of light, you could use TAv mode and set aperture to 5.6 or 6.3 to reduce the size of the blurry parts (otherwise, the camera will try to keep ISO down by opening the aperture as much as possible with the lens).
10-10-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If she is getting blur when in the action scene mode, increasing ISO would probably be the simplest solution. The program is apparently unable to provide an adequately high shutter speed under the lighting conditions present. However, I agree that the Tv mode would be her best option, in addition to adjusting ISO to get the shutter speed she needs.