Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Problem with removing top cover on spotmatic

I have been trying to remove the top cover of my Spotmatic. However, as shown in the image, the cover under the rewind knob would not budge at all. I have tried using lighter fluid and even lubricant. I was informed that it requires a spanner wrench but the scratches on the finish(which I truly regret) have been all from it. It is very frustrating for me and I would truly appreciate any help or piece of advice. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
10-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first thought is it's a left hand thread.
10-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My first thought is it's a left hand thread.
Reverse threading is often the case on rotating parts.

Try applying heat with a soldering iron.
Try tapping around on the retainer gently with a flat punch and hammer. A cheap flat bladed screwdriver might do in a pinch.
Try tapping the end of the connecting bar on the spanner with a hammer to turn the retainer.
Try penetrating oil - take care with the amount and clean up after allowing it to penetrate and after (hopefully) removing the retainer.
10-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Link to service manual>http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/spotmatic_sm.pdf

10-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Also...

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/nat_cam_spii.pdf

...has instructions on disassembly.

Google also suggests:

How to Open a Spotmatic

Spotmatic Disassembly

The fitting you have been working on is right-hand thread, but perhaps needs a little penetrating oil. Worst case is someone having applied lacquer or thread lock. In that case, a solvent might be needed.

Steve