Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all,
I really appreciate all of the ideas generated on this page. Scan Disk did provide a copy of Rescue Pro and I was able to retrieve the files from the first night of astrophotography. The SD's were definitely genuine products (purchased at Best Buy), The K-1 was purchased in February of 2017, and I have shot thousands of images on it and the scandisks. I always shoot raw and I have used the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle since purchasing my previous camera (Pentax K-3) in 2014. For the sake of being thorough, I will attempt long exposure photography one more time using a brand new SD but I am not optimistic this will make a difference. I am definitely leaning towards a hardware explanation for the problem.

RT

10-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Possibly the camera's processor, sensor, or memory has an intermittent error, and long exposures (more heat?) and/or the dark frame subtraction (more processing?) makes the issue more likely to occur.
Embedded JPEGs were fine (capture was successful). What failed was import into LR. How the process barfed is not clear.

Steve
10-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRT Quote
For the sake of being thorough, I will attempt long exposure photography one more time using a brand new SD but I am not optimistic this will make a difference. I am definitely leaning towards a hardware explanation for the problem.
In your original post, you said that you were able to review the capture on the rear LCD. That image is read from embedded JPEG within the DNG and is extracted from the file on the card. I.e., the capture apparently worked and at least the JPEG was written accurately. How did the import into Lightroom fail? Was there an error message? What other software did you try and how did they fail?

It is tempting to reject the long exposure aspect as a "red herring". 30 seconds is not really that long. On further thought, there may be a heat issue if several shots were made in succession with live view being used for framing. Normally, the camera will shut down if temperatures go too high. The EXIF metadata includes internal temperatures and might provide a clue, assuming the EXIF is not also corrupted.

Steve
10-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On further thought, there may be a heat issue if several shots were made in succession with live view being used for framing. Normally, the camera will shut down if temperatures go too high.
If a component is bad, "too high" might be significantly less than what the camera normally regards as too high.

10-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRT Quote
Thanks all,
I really appreciate all of the ideas generated on this page. Scan Disk did provide a copy of Rescue Pro and I was able to retrieve the files from the first night of astrophotography. The SD's were definitely genuine products (purchased at Best Buy), The K-1 was purchased in February of 2017, and I have shot thousands of images on it and the scandisks. I always shoot raw and I have used the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle since purchasing my previous camera (Pentax K-3) in 2014. For the sake of being thorough, I will attempt long exposure photography one more time using a brand new SD but I am not optimistic this will make a difference. I am definitely leaning towards a hardware explanation for the problem.

RT
I guess you have not tried importing into Raw Therapee. Try that before assuming it is a hardware problem.

10-12-2018, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Rarely there have been issues of grunge in the camera card slot
You get pearl jam and the smashing pumpkins performing in your cards slots?...impressive.
10-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any chance in these long exposures you are shutting down the camera (power switch) before the files are written to the SD card? The K-1 should continue to write and finish that process switching the camera off prematurely could introduce glitches??