Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To change mount, or not to change mount?

I have an Icarex 35S camera that needs CLA. It came with a CZ Ultron, which I really like. I am thinking of getting a Fuji camera specifically for that lens. Yesterday I pulled out the Icarex and was looking at it again. And then I had an idea. I hope you are patient and lenient with me, because I don't know anything about electronics or mechanics... But I thought, what if I take that mount off of the Icarex, and put it on my K100D, that's been sitting in the cupboard collecting dust? Worst case scenario, I can just put the mount back... Not sure if the Pentax will survive it though. If I slap the mount on, I may be fine for infinity focus. Icarex is 48mm, Pentax is 45.47, so I should be able to add another 2.5mm to get infinity focus, right?

Now, does that sound completely stupid or I can actually get it to work?

10-09-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why replace the camera's mount? Wouldn't be easier to get a cheap K- or M-series Pentax lens and replace the mount on the back of the Ultron lens? Then you can mount it on any of your Pentax cameras.
10-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Why replace the camera's mount? Wouldn't be easier to get a cheap K- or M-series Pentax lens and replace the mount on the back of the Ultron lens? Then you can mount it on any of your Pentax cameras.
Registration distance is different, so I assumed I won't get infinity. Plus, if I'd rather lose a K100D in the process, than Ultron...
10-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as the registration distance is longer, it doesn’t matter if you add the distance to the back of the lens or the front of the camera. Either way you’ll get infinity focus.

Does anyone made an adapter for that lens (and what’s the mount called?) to Pentax K or, more likely, m42?

10-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Does anyone made an adapter for that lens (and what’s the mount called?) to Pentax K or, more likely, m42?
The mount is called Icarex bayonet, and it's a really weird one...It's more like a breach lock mount, the bayonet is on the camera.

https://www.wide-angle.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/C319696.jpg

Leitax makes an adapter for Canon, but not for Pentax or Nikon. Which makes me think adapting it isn't all that easy...

Icarex lens for Canon cameras

Even RioRico never tried to mod an Icarex...(because he was into lenses you could get cheap)

Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm/1.8 with Bayonet Mount (pics) and HELP!!! - PentaxForums.com

Really the sort of thing to pick up a used Fuji or Sony Nex for...

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-09-2018 at 01:00 PM.
10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The mount is called Icarex bayonet, and it's a really weird one...It's more like a breach lock mount, the bayonet is on the camera.

https://www.wide-angle.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/C319696.jpg

Leitax makes an adapter for Canon, but not for Pentax or Nikon. Which makes me think adapting it isn't all that easy...

Icarex lens for Canon cameras

Even RioRico never tried to mod an Icarex...(because he was into lenses you could get cheap)

Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm/1.8 with Bayonet Mount (pics) and HELP!!! - PentaxForums.com

Really the sort of thing to pick up a used Fuji or Sony Nex for...
I don't know if an adapter is possible because Icarex mount is wider. Maybe there is a way to make an adapter that's wider and only 2.5mm thick... There is an Icarex to Canon adapter, and from there you can adapt it to a mirorrless. Which I have done, but my Fuji isn't working right, so I am wondering if just sticking the Icarex mount on a Pentax will do the trick...
10-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you would be better doing this as a two step process (I have done something like this for the Q). There are various adapters to fit a longer registration distance lens to K mount as well as other mounts. These are basically in two parts - the mount that goes onto the camera is a receiver section. Fitted inside this (usually fastened by grub screws or similar) is a lens adapter piece for the lens to be used. Get one of these and remove the lens adapter piece so you are just left with the receiver that goes onto the camera (in this case, the k mount receiver). Take the Icarex mount off the camera and figure out how that can be fitted into the receiver section. You will probably need to get an aluminium ring machined to screw the Icarex mount to. Then you can fit that into the receiver section, fasten it with the grub screws, and fiddle with the registration distance. If you start with something like a 645 to k mount adapter (70.87 mm registration distance) you should have room for a 2mm thick aluminium ring to fix the Icarex mount to and shim as you need to get your focus.

As long as your new registration distance exceeds the Icarex registration distance (but not by too much) you will get infinity focus. You only lose it if you are too short. But it is easier to shim out than to figure out how to get closer.

Good luck with the exercise!