Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Kr date/time setting

Rather a long story but I have just picked up a Kr at a very cheap price. It was supposed to have an electrical problem. The seller said it was for spares as the shutter fired randomly of it's own accord. Indeed when it arrived, I charged the Li 109 battery and tried it. The problem was that if any button was pressed the shutter fired. Even switching it on caused it to fire. Not really a problem as I had bought it for something else. However on a whim, I tried the AA holder with 4 NiMH batteries. It worked perfectly. So I a full reset on it. Now I could input time and date without the shutter firing every press. I then tried the Lithium again. It still worked perfectly. So a fully working Kr with lithium battery for £30.

Or so I thought. The only thing I can find wrong now is that the date and time reset to the factory setting when you change battery or even take the battery out for a send. On all the other DSLR's I have had, it will reset if left for a longish time without a battery or with a discharged battery. I know there is no "coin cell" like a PC or laptop has to keep the bios setting. So I'm assuming it must be some form of capacitor which returns the time etc normally when you change battery.

So any thoughts from anyone? If there is a storage capacitor, where is it and can it be easily changed? I'm not that worried. I can live with resetting the time every battery change for that price.

10-16-2018, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #2

Many of the Pentax DSLRs use a Seiko "accumlator" (fancy name for rechargeable battery). The accumulator is soldered to the main board and is considered "not user servicable"

MS414GE | Seiko Instruments Inc. Micro Energy Division

If you do some searching on PentaxForums there were some photos posted showing the location of the battery on main board.

Replacement isn't simple due to the amount of disassembly (including un-soldering) one needs to do in order to get to the battery.