Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 01:44 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob C. Quote
I'm hoping that if someone else has had a similar issue, they've managed to resolve it. The issue: I have a Pentax *ist-Ds I've used for about 12 years, and I've always used AA lithiums with no issues. I went to use it a few days ago, and it wouldn't power up - not even the blinking "battery depleted" symbol. I installed *new* (exp. 2027) AA lithiums, and got the blinking symbol. I tried four sets of AA lithiums and found *one* set that worked. I also tried a set of AA alkalines, which *also* worked. (Note: I don't have, and don't want, any NiMH rechargeables; my previous experience with them was not very good, even the top-of-the-line ones were just too much of a hassle, and had invariably self-discharged just when I wanted to use them. And that was using a "best quality" conditioning charger from Maha. NiMH just has too short a "charged" life to be acceptable when I only use the camera every couple of months. *And* one exploded - loud "BANG!"; crap all over the walls - in the charger.)

Anyway, I did some measurements, and found that the set of AA lithiums which worked were down to around 1.70-1.72 volts (unloaded); the AA alkalines were the usual 1.55V. All the AA lithiums which *didn't* work (which were all "new, unused" with expiration dates from 2022-2027) measured 1.84-1.86V (unloaded), the usual open-circuit voltage for new lithiums.

So here's the question: Has anyone experienced a problem with either the *ist-DS or another Pentax DSLR in which a too-*high* battery voltage caused the camera to show "depleted" and refuse to power-up? If so, did you find a solution? If not, I'll continue to use the batteries which work (and I have a pair of Duracell Ultra Cr-V3 lithiums on order, which I'll try when they arrive next week).

Thanks for any help!
kLEEN YOUR BATTERY TERMINALS FIRST

10-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #47

Original Poster
One of the first things I did, along with cleaning the terminals in the camera. No help, and the issue turned out to be about cell voltage; check the later posts, especially 36-45. Note that if dirty terminals had been the cause it almost certainly would have shown up with lower voltage cells instead of higher voltage ones, exactly the opposite of what happened.