Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Beginner question about shutter speed

I used to shoot film SLR Pentax cameras years ago. Then I got point and shoot digital cameras and got lazy. I shoot good photos with the point and shoots but I have a DSLR Pentax K30 and I get it out once a year or so to try to figure it out but it soon goes back in the bag. I am trying once more to get a handle on this thing.
So, I misplaced my user manual but downloaded the PDF and still cannot figure out a few things. Setting shutter speed, for one. Can someone point to a link, video, or post that gives explicit directions to a beginner?

How would I set aperture? Right now I'm sticking with the nifty fifty lens and will use others later once I get more competent.

I have it on auto ISO but the photos are still too dark indoors.

And if someone knows of a good explanation of how to shoot in manual mode I would appreciate any links, videos, etc. I do have Peterson's Understanding Exposure but he writes: Set your dial to M. Then f5.6 and push the button. Only, it didn't take the photo for an eternity and once the shutter clicked, it was all white, no photo of anything. So it ain't THAT easy!

I would like to get at least competent enough to use this camera at a family event this weekend, nothing fancy--just photos that actually turn out!

Thanks for any help!

10-18-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IrishLeo Quote
Setting shutter speed, for one.
Option 1A: while in P mode, simply turn the front e-dial (or rear e-dial, depending on your settings - look through the viewfinder and make sure the shutter speed gets underlined). This will put the camera in "Hyper Program" mode, which allows you to manually set the shutter speed while the camera chooses the corresponding shutter speed.
Option 1B: put the camera in Tv mode and use the e-dial to change the shutter speed. Same effect as 1A.
Option 1C: put the camera in M mode and manually set both the aperture and shutter speed using the e-dials

This should help:
The Fundamentals of Exposure - Camera Modes - In-Depth Articles

You might also benefit from Yvon's eBook (the K-50 version is nearly identical to the K-30):
Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

How would I set aperture?
Option 2A: Same as 1A, but use the opposite e-dial
Option 2B: Put the camera in Av mode and use the e-dial to change the aperture. Same effect as 2A.
Option 2C: Same as 1C

I have it on auto ISO but the photos are still too dark indoors.
You may need to change your metering mode. Matrix metering is the way to go in most situations. If you are using a manual lens, use live view as viewfinder matrix metering is otherwise unavailable with such lenses.

Or, apply exposure compensation.

manual mode

Just start from the beginning of the guide I linked above

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Good luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Unless you've adjusted the settings, shutter speed will be controlled by the front wheel (under/in front of the shutter button) and aperture will be controlled by the rear wheel (back of the camera, near the top right). In fact, I suspect you will see a little half-wheel on the shutter and aperture setting displays on the rear screen, indicating those are the ones you turn for each respective adjustment.
10-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No disrespect but I think you would do best to re-read Peterson's book first.

The default settings for your camera are front dial for shutter and rear dial for aperture. Depending on which mode you are in ..P or Av or Tv or Manual will affect which dial you need to move.

The camera taking a long time to take a picture is a sign that you are in a dark environment and the autofocus finds it difficult to achieve a lock.

so re-read the book, re-read the manual where a lot of your questions are already answered and prictice first outside in well-lit conditions. Once you have a grasp on how a complicated DSLR works you can then approach low-light phography with a better understanding

10-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Option 1A: while in P mode, simply turn the front e-dial (or rear e-dial, depending on your settings - look through the viewfinder and make sure the shutter speed gets underlined). This will put the camera in "Hyper Program" mode, which allows you to manually set the shutter speed while the camera chooses the corresponding shutter speed.
Option 1B: put the camera in Tv mode and use the e-dial to change the shutter speed. Same effect as 1A.
Option 1C: put the camera in M mode and manually set both the aperture and shutter speed using the e-dials

This should help:
The Fundamentals of Exposure - Camera Modes - In-Depth Articles

You might also benefit from Yvon's eBook (the K-50 version is nearly identical to the K-30):
Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

Option 2A: Same as 1A, but use the opposite e-dial
Option 2B: Put the camera in Av mode and use the e-dial to change the aperture. Same effect as 2A.
Option 2C: Same as 1C

You may need to change your metering mode. Matrix metering is the way to go in most situations. If you are using a manual lens, use live view as viewfinder matrix metering is otherwise unavailable with such lenses.

Or, apply exposure compensation.

Just start from the beginning of the guide I linked above

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Good luck!
Okay, a lot of that language is over my head--matrix, etc. I will try to digest it in small portions. I literally have no clue how to set the shutter speed. I know that is a very basic thing but I have not figured it out...I need a step by step--video, link, etc.
10-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No disrespect but I think you would do best to re-read Peterson's book first.

The default settings for your camera are front dial for shutter and rear dial for aperture. Depending on which mode you are in ..P or Av or Tv or Manual will affect which dial you need to move.

The camera taking a long time to take a picture is a sign that you are in a dark environment and the autofocus finds it difficult to achieve a lock.

so re-read the book, re-read the manual where a lot of your questions are already answered and prictice first outside in well-lit conditions. Once you have a grasp on how a complicated DSLR works you can then approach low-light phography with a better understanding
Even when I take the camera out into the sunshine, when I depress the shutter, it does not "click" for some time. My front and rear wheels literally don't do anything no matter how much I turn them, nothing changes. I'm starting to suspect that my camera may be defective.

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Unless you've adjusted the settings, shutter speed will be controlled by the front wheel (under/in front of the shutter button) and aperture will be controlled by the rear wheel (back of the camera, near the top right). In fact, I suspect you will see a little half-wheel on the shutter and aperture setting displays on the rear screen, indicating those are the ones you turn for each respective adjustment.
Thank you. I use both the front and rear wheels but no matter how much I turn them, nothing changes. I am beginning to think perhaps it is the camera--I used to be a champ (back in the 80s) with film SLRs but this digital stuff has me beat. I wish film would come back!
10-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even when I take the camera out into the sunshine, when I depress the shutter, it does not "click" for some time. My front and rear wheels literally don't do anything no matter how much I turn them, nothing changes. I'm starting to suspect that my camera may be defective.
Is the camera in P mode? Look at the mode dial. The wheels don't do anything in the default "green" mode. (the article I linked above shows the mode dial)

If you're in P mode and the wheels don't do anything, go to the camera's main menu, select the wrench tab, and use the reset setting toward the end to reset the camera to default settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is the camera in P mode? Look at the mode dial. The wheels don't do anything in the default "green" mode. (the article I linked above shows the mode dial)

If you're in P mode and the wheels don't do anything, go to the camera's main menu, select the wrench tab, and use the reset setting toward the end to reset the camera to default settings.
Thanks for your help, I am getting there! I'm going to reread and practice a lot, I appreciate everyone's help! But boy, do I miss film!
10-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If your mode dial is set to the "P" mode, the camera will automatically choose both your shutter speed and your aperture. In this mode, as Adam indicates, if you prefer a different value than the camera has selected, you can change either instantly by using your rear thumb dial or the front finger dial. The first click freezes the value already selected by the camera and underlines it to show you have activated the Pentax Hyper System and can change the value, while additional clicks will in fact implement changes you select. When you select your shutter speed, the camera will respond by changing the aperture for correct exposure according to its meter reading. The same regarding shutter speed if you select the aperture. This system is unique to Pentax, giving the photographer instantaneous control. A touch of the green button will restore full automatic Program operation. The same will happen if you turn off the camera and turn it back on.

If you are shooting an event where action is a factor, or otherwise wish to select and maintain a certain shutter speed, then it is best to turn your mode dial to Tv (Time value) which is the mode for control of shutter speed. This way, your selected shutter speed will stay put even if you turn off the camera temporarily. The same goes for controlling aperture by turning your mode dial to Av (Aperture value).

When shooting in Manual mode, with Pentax, including your K30, you can simply hit the green button to instantly get a meter-centered exposure set instead of having to twirl the thumb and finger dials. Then if a different shutter speed or aperture is desired from what the camera has set, you can adjust from there, keeping an eye on the meter reading, as displayed in the VF. If you adjust the shutter speed to a different value, you will need to also adjust the aperture to keep the exposure the same. After using the green button to first get your exposure set, if you want to make such a change in shutter speed or aperture, you can hit the AE-L button before doing so to lock the exposure, and as you select a different shutter speed, the aperture will also change automatically to preserve exposure without your having to do this separately, saving you time. The same goes if changing aperture- the shutter speed will follow along. This is the Pentax Hyper Manual advantage. (be sure the AE-L button has not been set up for another use).

Just one example where the Manual mode is imperative is when your subject is constantly under the same lighting, but is moving past light and dark backgrounds. If in any auto mode, the camera's meter will be constantly adjusting exposure to include the background, so your subject will go at times underexposed and alternately overexposed. The idea is- your chosen exposure will remain, although the meter is showing a faulty exposure.

Your 50mm lens will be a "faster" lens than most zoom lenses- that is it has a larger aperture being able to open more to let in more light, which allows a higher shutter speed under the same lighting and same ISO setting. Yours is probably f/1.4, or f/1.8, or at least f/2. The smaller the number, the larger the aperture can open and the"faster" is the lens. This is a real advantage, especially for low-light and/or action scene use. It also allows you to establish a shallower depth-of-field (how much of your photo will be sharp after you focus on your subject), which can blur the background to some degree to make your subject stand out from it. This can be very useful for portraits, and with your APS-C format K30 camera, 50mm is a very good focal length for this purpose. A 50mm "Prime" lens (non-zoom), is the least expensive way to acquire a fast lens with fine optical quality. Most "fast" and expensive zoom lenses are f/2.8 maximum aperture.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.
10-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Understanding Exposure, I have that book. Its good, it should be what you need to get started. All good exposures come down to some shutter speed, some aperture and some ISO you pick.

I would set the camera to M, turn off auto ISO, start with the aperture open all the way, 2, 1.4, (Staying with one lens is a good idea, keep doing that) whatever the lowest number is.
Focus on something and press the shutter halfway down, find and press the green button, it will help you pick a shutter speed.
Press the shutter button all the way
Review the picture, with some work you can see the histogram, it will show you how your exposure went, if it was over or under exposed.
Try it again with the aperture turned a bit smaller (a bigger number) and try it again.
Once you did a few that way, go back and raise the ISO a little, try more shots. Always review the histogram once you know how to see it.

Experiment a lot, and I'd recommend to keep it in M mode and work with it there. The other auto modes pick everything for you and you don't learn anything when its doing all the setting.
10-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

By the way, the K30 operates virtually identically to nearly all the Pentax AF 35mm film bodies, especially the PZ series (in the US) or Z series, as well as other of those Pentax SLR film bodies that did not employ a lens aperture ring, or could do so as an option. There were a couple of MZ series bodies requiring ring use. There are numerous advantages of a digital DSLR over film use. The lack of cost from buying film and film processing will eventually pay for your camera. So you can shoot away with no added cost, view your results right away, and thus learn much more in a shorter time. You can also adjust ISO sensitivity from one shot to another instead of having to change film type. I usually set ISO manually according to the circumstances I'm facing instead of leaving the camera set on auto ISO.

If you are using an old manual-only 50mm lens with an aperture ring having no "A" setting, you will have to go into the custom menus to enable aperture ring use. Then you have to shoot in Manual mode using the green button to set your exposure. If it has the "A" setting on the ring, leave it there and set your aperture with your camera's thumb dial as explained above.

If this is the case, you have an old lens with no "A" setting on the aperture ring, you'd be best off to consider an upgrade to a more modern 50mm Pentax lens, such as the DA 50mm f/1.8, which is not expensive, and is optically a fine lens. it would allow access to many functions of your camera, including all that is explained above.

All AF (Auto Focus) lenses will either have the "A" setting on the ring, or have no aperture ring at all.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.
10-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

I[...]
Right now I'm sticking with the nifty fifty lens and will use others later once I get more competent.

[...]
All replies are going to be more - or less - useful, depending on exactly which 50mm lens you are using. The exposure options and instructions for using them, are going to depend on whether you have a modern digital-era lens, or a film era lens, and if film-era, whether it has an "A" setting on the aperture ring or not.
10-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are saying that there is a delay in taking the photo, On tha back pad to the right of "OK" is a button that looks like a clock or stopwatch, click that and make sure you are on "single frame shooting".

Have you tried resetting the camera (In the menu) and shooting on green (Auto) mode just to see if you get the same behavior. If you do it may be aperture block failure.
10-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
All replies are going to be more - or less - useful, depending on exactly which 50mm lens you are using. The exposure options and instructions for using them, are going to depend on whether you have a modern digital-era lens, or a film era lens, and if film-era, whether it has an "A" setting on the aperture ring or not.
Absolutely. I just edited the last part of my last post here to make that more clear.
10-18-2018, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By the sound of it, Leo, you'd benefit most not by reading a book or watching some YouTube video, but going to a class and getting real time feedback and instruction. You'll have a lot of 'Aha!' moments in a group.