Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

More K-x problems.

A couple months ago I posted a problem I was having with this camera and thanks to the help I got on this forum I was able to clean some contacts under the selector dial and resolve my problem. The camera was working fine.

So, I take the camera on vacation to Asia and immediately run into a new problem. To put it simply the photos were very dark. But, not all photos. I will attach two successive photos. The only thing is that the second photo was taken a few minutes later. I had turned the camera off and then back on. Photos were shot in the A (automatic) mode.

The problem persisted during the entire trip. That said, a lot of the photos turned out quite good, some very good. But others just dark.

It did not seem to switch while the camera was on. In other words if I had the camera "on" it did not shoot 3 good photos, and then 2 dark. Visa versa, if it was shooting dark photos it would not pop off a good one. It seemed to need turning the camera off and on. But, I have no idea why it would go from one behavior to the other.

I stopped at a camera shop in Penang and let a guy look at the camera. He tinkered a bit and thought perhaps the problem was in the lens. I did not have time to leave it with him and have his tech check it out.

Based on the problems I am having with this camera perhaps I should just trash (as I can certainly not rely on it). On the other hand it is something to tinker with.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing the lens on another camera would be a good way to rule it out. My bet is on the camera's aperture actuator, which looks like it might be intermittently failing. There are plenty of threads on this topic throughout the forum, plus a DIY fix. However, it might still make sense to use this as an excuse to move on from the K-x just for the improvements in future models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

Is your camera set in “bracketing mode” accidentally, where it take sets of pictures with -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 exposure?
It already happened to me, and took some time to figure out what was wrong.
Check/Set it back to single exposure (or “2 sec. delay”) to check this out and try again.
10-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
Is your camera set in “bracketing mode” accidentally, where it take sets of pictures with -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 exposure?
It already happened to me, and took some time to figure out what was wrong.
Check/Set it back to single exposure (or “2 sec. delay”) to check this out and try again.
I checked "auto bracketing order". It seems set to 0-+. Shooting order 0, -1, +1. Is that what it is supposed to be?

10-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agrolingua Quote
I checked "auto bracketing order". It seems set to 0-+. Shooting order 0, -1, +1. Is that what it is supposed to be?
The bracketing order can be whatever you set it to - - if you enable it. Are you using it? You probably should not, for normal shooting. Bracketing is useful in difficult lighting situations.
10-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The bracketing order can be whatever you set it to - - if you enable it. Are you using it? You probably should not, for normal shooting. Bracketing is useful in difficult lighting situations.
Well, I never touched bracketing before. I do not see anyplace where you can enable it, or not. There is just an option. #7 Auto Bracketing Order. Then there are 4 options. You have to choose one of them.

I am paging through the manual and it does not discuss bracketing at all.
10-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am paging through the manual and it does not discuss bracketing at all.
"Exposure bracketing", pages 109-111 in the K-x manual.

10-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
"Exposure bracketing", pages 109-111 in the K-x manual.
Thanks. Found the pages. Gut feeling is that this is not the issue. But, I will check this out a little closer.
10-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

Since the problem seems to manifest itself only on the first few shots after power on I doubt auto-bracketing is enabled.

Are the batteries fresh or fully charged?

Do you have another lens you try to replicate the problem?

Sounds almost like the classic Dark Frame Syndrome commonly called aperture control block failure. As far as I know the K-x uses a similar control block as used since the *stD series through the K-S2
10-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My analysis on your story, it seems like a power on/off problem that occurs intermittently. "...The only thing is that the second photo was taken a few minutes later. I had turned the camera off and then back on. Photos were shot in the A (automatic) mode." , this is a kind of aperture block - I guess. Caused by failure of aperture mechanism to open or never close aperture after some time when the power supply is not enough to power on the circuit and being dull for a moment . After power "on" there is enough amperage to supply the circuit that is why it worked again. In short you needed to replace the battery that can hold charges for a certain period of time.
10-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
Batteries.

I appreciate the ideas. Batteries. Hmm. I was using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Pretty fresh.

I have those batteries because I have an older Kodak digital camera that is very picky about batteries.

So, I think there is more than batteries just being down.

I do have another lens (not a good one). I can try to see if the problem comes up with a different lens.
10-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Batteries. Hmm. I was using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.
You might want to try a different kind of battery in your K-x. I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries in mine. I couldn't get the K-x to work well with the Energizer ones.
10-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-x works equally well with Eneloops or Energizer Lithiums.
10-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
My K-x works equally well with Eneloops or Energizer Lithiums.
Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth right, cause the Enegizer ones didn't work well with my K-x.
10-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #15

Original Poster
Batteries.

It is odd that you mention Eneloop batteries. I have a set that are a bit old. Before the trip I was "conditioning" (charging, discharging) them. I thought they were set and then 2 days before the trip I put them in the camera and they failed miserably. After about a dozen photos they would have juice to light up the camera, but not enough to actually take a photo. I did this probably 20 times without getting a photo. Could that effect the camera? As a result packed the Energizers and left the Eneloops in the closet (where they still are). So, a couple days later on the trip I load the Energizers into the camera and immediately have the problem I have highlighted here.

I only had the Energizers on the trip. Never thought this could be a battery issue. The situation improved as time went on. I got a lot of good photos. But it was/is unpredictable.

How could batteries be related to something like aperture actuator?