Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #31
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimmaunder Quote
Good to know that about the 18-55 ... I tried checking the fine AF adjustment, but still not 100% happy. I'll set up a proper test rig with scales and nd focus targets some time.

As for primes - I have a couple of plastic fantastics ... 35mm and 50mm and both were excellent on the K-30 ... just have not got around to trying then on the KP. I'm thinking about getting the 18-135 when I visit NYC over xmas. Maybe sell the K-30 etc to finance it.
The 18-135 was the first lens I purchased when I got my K-30. I got it because my previous camera was a Canon, and the noise of in-body AF motor was driving me crazy, but its other characteristics make me wonder why anyone would kit the 18-55 with anything - unless they were liquidating their inventory of them one at a time. Dark Image Syndrome forced me to "park it" for now; one problem with my going FF is that it would have to stay "parked".

11-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Getting somewhere now - happy with most of my snaps now - but still just random shots in my garden.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #33
tbi

A Japanese camera website suggested to try using a battery holder with batteries instead of the rechargable battery. The logic is that it slows down the camera just a bit, allowing the aperture control more time to work. (the cause is a weakened magnet for the aperture control module btw) I tried it with duracell batteries, and the problem seems to have gone away...for now. He wrote it disappeared.
09-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tbi Quote
A Japanese camera website suggested to try using a battery holder with batteries instead of the rechargable battery. The logic is that it slows down the camera just a bit, allowing the aperture control more time to work. (the cause is a weakened magnet for the aperture control module btw) I tried it with duracell batteries, and the problem seems to have gone away...for now. He wrote it disappeared.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. There were dark photos in the original post from last year; however, they were due to metering issues (EXIF showed settings consistent with the dark photos) caused by inadvertant user error. In regards to aperture control problems on the K-30, some users on this site have had success with switching to alkaline batteries, though my understanding is that those cameras eventually failed aperture control completely. I hope your camera continues to work well for you.

Steve

09-25-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tbi Quote
A Japanese camera website suggested to try using a battery holder with batteries instead of the rechargable battery. The logic is that it slows down the camera just a bit, allowing the aperture control more time to work. (the cause is a weakened magnet for the aperture control module btw) He (??? instead of 'I'?) tried it with duracell batteries, and the problem seems to have gone away...for now. He wrote it disappeared.
Steve has already answered why the problem happened but the rest is not as you think at all:

If the aperture control fails on a K30 and similar it is not caused by a weakened magnet!
It is because the plunger gets magnetised due to a too strong magnet.

But all the rest you can read Here
and HERE

Also AA batteries do work as Steve said for some time but this actually can enhance the problem.
AA's also won't slow down the camera or give it some more time to work .... this is utter nonsense.
It is the opposite, AA's have a different discharge characteristic and give more Amperes for this short time and thus overcome the adhesive magnetism. But because the corpus delicti is made out of PET using more force damages the PET and thus the plunger has later on more problems to be released.

So the only good thing from Japan in this case is the "made in Japan" white solenoid.

The rest is from the world of fantasia

Last edited by photogem; 09-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.