Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halera Quote
I hope you are doing great! I am a new comer to Pentax.

I have used Nikon D7000, Canon Kiss, Sony 6300/6000 and Panasonic GX8 cameras in the past. So far, I like Lumix GX8 best because of 1) compact size, 2)fast shutter speed and 3)a precise focusing on top of the variangle display.

Due to me being an amateur photographer and don't know much about Pentax options I would like to ask you the following questions to get to know better on Pentax. I currently own Pentax K-30 w/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 & Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4.

1. What makes you believe Pentax is better than other Digital cameras? Or what makes you select Pentax (whatever camera you like)

2. What lens would you recommend if only 2 lenses to chose? I take mostly landscape 20% and close-up object (60%)
3. Which zoom lens would be better for all-around pictures, i.e. Sigma 18-250mm or Tamron 18-250mm lens.

Thank you!
Thank you so much for your valuable/advice. I will make a great reference on all your suggestions/opinions when I purchase future Pentax lens.

10-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you want to do with close-focus? If you're after insect macro, the 100mm macro (or similar range from 3rd party) are the way to go. If you're just after still life, flowers etc. then your options are wide open. The 40mm pancake is great, and inexpensive if purchased used. I find the 21mm more useful in most circumstances.
10-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've used Pentax since the late 80's, so when digital came out, I stayed with them as the old film era lenses with K mount bayonets worked on the new bodies. I have had a istDS, K100D, K10D, K20D, K5D and a K3II. The istDS and the K10D were sold to friends, and are still in use, and I have the rest, still working fine.
Even the 6 mega pixel K100D will give excellent prints at A4 size and the Pentax in body shake reduction works with any lens.
Amongst many other lenses, for landscapes, I like my Sigma 10-20 and my Pentax 16-50, the Pentax 55-300 has its uses also. As for macro, I have a Tamron 90 and a Sigma 50.
If I didn't have Pentax kit, Nikon would be my choice. The autofocus on more recent Pentax cameras has improved a lot, but for landscapes, it is not vital, and I use manual focus for macro subjects.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 10-29-2018 at 11:38 AM.
10-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much for your valuable/advice. I will make a great reference on all your suggestions/opinions when I purchase future Pentax lens.
I don't see that you are that invested in crop sensor gear. So why not consider the new K-1 II, DFA 15-30mm and DFA 24-70mm?
Terry

10-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. What makes you believe Pentax is better than other Digital cameras? Or what makes you select Pentax (whatever camera you like)

2. What lens would you recommend if only 2 lenses to chose? I take mostly landscape 20% and close-up object (60%)
3. Which zoom lens would be better for all-around pictures, i.e. Sigma 18-250mm or Tamron 18-250mm lens.

Thank you!

1. Why Pentax Isn't Doomed - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

2. Looking at the gear you have now, it's fine older equipment. You can add to it the Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24 to get wider for your landscapes, and say the Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro for the close up stuff you mentioned.

3. Everyone's shooting style is different. To be honest, I'd stay away from those superzooms. Your Sigma 17-70 is already fine as a walk around for landscapes and people. If you're trying to shoot things further away, IMHO best to go for for an additional lens, something like the 55-300 everyone's mentioned, rather than the design compromises of the 18-250. You bought a DSLR because it gives you the flexibility of interchangeable lenses that your phone doesn't.
11-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's an FA100 f2.8 for $190 right now.
Excellent+ Pentax FA Macro 100mm F2.8 Lens - PentaxForums.com

It's a great lens.
11-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #22
Forum Member

I hope you are doing great! I am a new comer to Pentax.

I have used Nikon D7000, Canon Kiss, Sony 6300/6000 and Panasonic GX8 cameras in the past. So far, I like Lumix GX8 best because of 1) compact size, 2)fast shutter speed and 3)a precise focusing on top of the variangle display.

Due to me being an amateur photographer and don't know much about Pentax options I would like to ask you the following questions to get to know better on Pentax. I currently own Pentax K-30 w/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 & Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4.

Thank you!
Honestly - I'm a snob - kind of. I like to be different.

(I hung onto Mac when all the lemmings were deserting Apple for the WinTel computer world - - and lo and behold I was vindicated ! (Wish i had bought stock though - that's another story.))

So when i got into digital SLR photography - all i saw 8 yrs ago was Nikon and Canon. So - Pentax was the obvious route for me to take.

Now the rest of the story - and the following is reason enough even if you don't get my idiosyncratic approach:

Superb glass - and lots of it - and backwardly compatible.
Not a company that comes out with a new model every three seconds for marketing reasons.
Robust, usually weather-resistant construction in cameras and lenses.
The equivalent cameras from Pentax tend to be smaller and lighter that the equivalent from Canon and Nikon.

11-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Halera

Welcome to PF

Ok quest 1) First part I made my choice, second part I had Pentax lenses in film days so why change when digital arrived.
...............2) I'll only mention what I have...Landscape DA 12-24,15ltd,21 ltd, close up Tammy 90 macro.
...............3) All my zooms are 1: 4 only ie DA 16 - 45 , F 35 - 105, I just don't like superzooms.

The choices are endless and is only governed by your wallet.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your comment. What you said makes great sense.
As you pointed out, DA15 sounds great. I will look for it.
Many thanks.
11-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #24

I went with Pentax mostly because I got a very good deal on a K50. Two things that were also important was the weather sealing and built in image stabilizer. Although I don't shoot in horrible weather, it is nice to know the camera is when the weather turns. The built in image stabilizer means a lot of savings on lenses. You will probably give up a stop or so of stabilization for tele lenses, but that's something I can live with.

tom
11-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this may be too late for the OP

but I like Pentax because of the ability to use the " latest and brightest " for almost all of the Pentax bodies as well as vintage lenses

look at these charts for details:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

regarding vintage lenses and the 100mm f2.8 macro series:

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. . . .

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and the members of this forum is another nice reason to own pentax, very helpful and informative
11-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
Unregistered User

1. What makes you believe Pentax is better than other Digital cameras? Or what makes you select Pentax (whatever camera you like)2. What lens would you recommend if only 2 lenses to chose? I take mostly landscape 20% and close-up object (60%)3. Which zoom lens would be better for all-around pictures, i.e. Sigma 18-250mm or Tamron 18-250mm lens.
I wouldn't say that Pentax is better than other digital cameras, but their system is. Virtually any Pentax lens ever made will work with any body, not so important for you now, but may become so in the future. The old glass has its charms. Another plus is its excellent menu system, which is very uniform across four formats - 645, FF, APS-C and Q.

You definitely need a macro. All of the true macros for the Pentax K-mount are great, some of which are very affordable if you don't need AF (you don't.)

Since you already have a good zoom, you won't need a tele. A good wide angle is nice, but if you know how to stitch pictures in software you can make great wide angle landscapes.

If I had only two lenses to chose it would be an SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 and a SMC Pentax-A 100mm F4 Macro. The faster versions of these lenses are better, but more expensive. The M versions are cheaper and just as good, but you need to use the green button for exposure.

You've got a good kit now, use it until you absolutely need to upgrade.
11-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
. . . You definitely need a macro. All of the true macros for the Pentax K-mount are great, some of which are very affordable if you don't need AF (you don't.)

. . . a SMC Pentax-A 100mm F4 Macro. The faster versions of these lenses are better, but more expensive. The M versions are cheaper and just as good, but you need to use the green button for exposure. . . .
acceptable price levels depend on the individual

you don't need AF for macro but the 100mm F2.8 series [ capable of 1:1 macro ] are very nice when used as a short telephoto and AF might be of interest in those situations

look for used models of the F, FA and D FA ( without WR ) and you may be able to find something at a price range that you think is reasonable
11-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
acceptable price levels depend on the individual
Who said anything about acceptable price levels?
11-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Who said anything about acceptable price levels?
I thought you referenced price levels

" All of the true macros for the Pentax K-mount are great, some of which are very affordable if you don't need AF (you don't.) "
11-20-2018, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a lot of PF members are film users that migrated to digital, self included, where it was easy to get into digital by purchasing a body only, canon and nikon did not encourage film users, especially at the entry level body level with backwards compatibility.

as for using a pentax camera, compared to nikon or canon, i find that the camera controls are much more intuitive, and the menu structure simpler. that is a big plus for newbies. usually except for super advanced cameras from canon or nikon, pentax cameras offer more features for the money, but get panned by many magazines because pentax does not advertise at the same level so the major publications do little to promote them, to the poiint in one magazine i saw a pentax camera be equal to or better at every measureable criteria in a review, but graded overall less in the summary. how can that be?

to be clear, in todays world there is no such thing as a bad digital camera. pick what you like, fits your shooting needs and budget, and go out and use the dam thing, not analyze your decision to death

Last edited by photolady95; 11-20-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo