Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Kp or K3II

I have a Pentax K50, but i thought of upgrading... Kp or K3II? What you guys say?

10-22-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both are substantial upgrades over the K-50. I would generally recommend the KP over the K-3 II for its better image quality (newer sensor + image accelerator). It also uses the same battery as the K-50, so you'll be able to re-use the one you already have.

The K-3 II is faster (in terms of burst rate and buffer), has a larger battery, and has GPS, but it uses an older sensor which is a bit more noisy. In most other areas, the KP and K-3 II are the same. If you've been happy with the K-50, go for the KP.

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Agi

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both are substantial upgrades over the K-50. I would probably recommend the KP for its better image quality. It also uses the same battery as the K-50, so you'll be able to re-use the one you already have.

The K-3 II is faster (in terms of burst rate and buffer), has a larger battery, and has GPS, but it uses an older sensor which is a bit more noisy. In most other areas, the KP and K-3 II are the same. If you've been happy with the K-50, go for the KP.

I forgot to say, I'm a portrait photographer, I shoot specially outside in the street.
10-22-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Agi Quote
I forgot to say, I'm a portrait photographer, I shoot specially outside in the street.
Probably the KP then. Maybe pair it with a juicy portrait lens like the new D FA* 50mm?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from K-50 to K-3 when the K-3II was an option also. The K-3 (like the KP) offers an onboard flash. The K-3II has an onboard GPS rather than flash. I suspected (and still think) the onboard flash is more useful to me. I do miss the Pixel Shift features for landscapes. As for the KP - I have never used it. I do however like the battery life of the larger battery more than I liked the battery life in my K-50 - but this is a MINOR issue.

The larger benefits were moving from 12 bit to 14 bit raw, moving from 16mp to 24mp, improved autofocus, improved metering, etc. The larger buffer and higher frame rate were also beneficial in niche situations.

The KP unlike the K3ii offers the accelerator chip for improved high ISO output. The KP like the K3ii offers a battery grip - the grip uses the larger battery which means managing two types of batteries for the KP if you want to use the grip.

Finally from what I have read the KP grip - despite being available in 3 sizes - is not loved like the K-3/K-3ii/K-70/K-50. If you love the grip on the K-50, the K-3ii is likely just up your alley.

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 02:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Agi Quote
The smaller KP may make the most sense then. I'm a fan of the K-3 ergonomics but the size isn't the best for street (although it isn't terrible at it either). For Street Portrait work the DA 40 is my favorite - very short and not intimidating. The DA 70 is another option that is diminutive also.
10-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Agi

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I went from K-50 to K-3 when the K-3II was an option also. The K-3 (like the KP) offers an onboard flash. The K-3II has an onboard GPS rather than flash. I suspected (and still think) the onboard flash is more useful to me. I do miss the Pixel Shift features for landscapes. As for the KP - I have never used it. I do however like the battery life of the larger battery more than I liked the battery life in my K-50 - but this is a MINOR issue.

The larger benefits were moving from 12 bit to 14 bit raw, moving from 16mp to 24mp, improved autofocus, improved metering, etc. The larger buffer and higher frame rate were also beneficial in niche situations.

The KP unlike the K3ii offers the accelerator chip for improved high ISO output. The KP like the K3ii offers a battery grip - the grip uses the larger battery which means managing two types of batteries for the KP if you want to use the grip.

Finally from what I have read the KP grip - despite being available in 3 sizes - is not loved like the K-3/K-3ii/K-70/K-50. If you love the grip on the K-50, the K-3ii is likely just up your alley.

The smaller KP may make the most sense then. I'm a fan of the K-3 ergonomics but the size isn't the best for street (although it isn't terrible at it either). For Street Portrait work the DA 40 is my favorite - very short and not intimidating. The DA 70 is another option that is diminutive also.
I see, well I do not think the grip is going to ,be a huge problem since my hands are pretty small hehe.
10-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Agi

Original Poster

Didn't think about the combination of the DA 70 with the KP, I think i will probably give it a try.

10-22-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
If you are street shooting, the KPs flip screen should also make it easier to shoot from the hip.
10-22-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you don't need the bigger buffer, go for the KP, I keep reading about big and small features that I wish my k3ii had (bought it before the KP was released). Such as night mode and bulb timer.
10-22-2018, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

FYI, the KP battery grip lets you use the K5 type battery OR the KP battery (which is awesome). The grip has made the KP a much improved camera from an ergonomic point of view - I liked it quite a lot without, but with, it's fantastic. And the flippy screen would be very helpful for street IMO (I don't do much street, but I do know from event photography, having a cam up to your face can be a dead giveaway. Taking pics from live view, focus peaking, and using the live view zoom helps a ton. By the way, I've been shooting in RAW+jpeg so I can tune the cam to a contrasty black and white (saved as jpg) and the RAW comes with all color info so I can do whatever. The view on the back screen is B&W in live view, so that could be a minus depending on your priorities.

Also, I think the KP is slightly quieter than my K3 (I don't have a k3ii) so that could be good too. And add to all this the KP has 5 axis stabilization for camera at your waist or shoot-and-run shots and I think the k3ii has 3 axis. And the 3rd control wheel on the KP comes in handy at times too.

They're both great cams, but IMO, if you're not doing lots of action (where having a big buffer would help) or lots of astro, the KP fits the bill for street a bit better.
10-22-2018, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have the K-3 II. It does an excellent job. I recommend it.
10-22-2018, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K-3 and K-3II. I like the on-board flash of the K-3 (although I barely use it), and don't use the GPS in the K-3II at all. For me, the K-3 is a slightly more useful camera, but they're more-or-less equal. Both are absolutely fantastic cameras in every respect. The KP offers better high ISO signal-to-noise, though some of this is due to noise reduction in the image capture hardware chain. For most users, that won't really matter, since the end result is generally better performance at high ISO settings. Personally, I like the "flagship"-level build quality and size of the K-3 / K-3II over the KP, and the dual card slots (one of my favourite features in terms of "peace of mind"). But the articulating screen of the KP is genuinely useful and something that I hope the K-3II's successor will have. Battery life on the K-3 / K-3II is better than the KP.

Personally, even though the KP offers better high ISO capability, I'd still pick the K-3 or K-3II in preference if shooting raw files (and I'm a high ISO nut ). But both cameras are outstanding
10-22-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For portrait/street the KP. Tilting screen, 10% lighter than K-3ii, 5-axis SR, on board flash for emergency fill-flash situations.
10-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Where are any new K-3 II bodies for sale in the states? Last I saw was the silver version at Adorama which are gone.
10-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #15
Agi

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both are substantial upgrades over the K-50. I would generally recommend the KP over the K-3 II for its better image quality (newer sensor + image accelerator). It also uses the same battery as the K-50, so you'll be able to re-use the one you already have.

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
What you think about AF?