Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know and respect the durable construction of the K-3 II, as I have its similar predecessor, the K-5 IIs, but in your case I recommend getting the K-70, and get the DA 18-135mm kit lens. For one thing, if using this kit lens for your astro shots, it will be used in the wider-angle range which is its better range. But you might want to get some closeups of the moon, for example, and will need a lot more tele, which this lens can do to a fair degree. Its performance in the central area of the image here is very good to excellent. It can also keep to a pretty wide aperture capability (letting in more light) out to 70mm zoom setting, at f/3.5-4.5, compared to the bigger, more expensive DA 16-85mm though this is a very good lens also. The combination of the K-70 and 18-135mm lens is an especially good deal price wise, and a high-performing package. This lens is especially versatile, so being that you are very new to photography, it will allow you to better explore the many facets of this pursuit. It provides excellent AF (Auto Focus) performance- fast, quiet, accurate, and is very well built with WR (Weather-Resistant) construction, yet is compact. You will find as you go along, there is a great variety of uses for photography that can produce fascinating results. This lens can address many of those. The K-70 is much better for low-light use than is the K-3 series. The K-70 will allow your DA 18-135mm to perform more like a very expensive lens having a much larger aperture (letting in even more light) that is used on a K-3.

When you get the K-70, just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. This will be in the camera's manual, but get back to us if you have trouble doing this, or for any other questions you might have..

You will also eventually find, even in the area of your current immediate interest, that one lens does not do all, under all circumstances, for the best result. This is why a DSLR is an interchangeable-lens system. The good thing is you don't have to go out and buy another camera in trying to fill that need. You just add another lens. You can save up and add bit by bit, so it doesn't create such an impact on your finances. As time goes on you might (and likely will) wind up adding both greater telephoto capability, at least one "prime' (non-zoom) lens, also an extra-wide angle lens, then perhaps even a macro (super closeup) lens. You will have fun in the process of your discoveries.

10-26-2018, 11:31 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaydeep Quote
As far as tilting screen's concerned that ain't my priority. I can live without that
If you are going to do astro, it should be. The lens will be pointing up (Andromeda is about 50°), and the screen down.

The tilting screen allows you to keep the tripod low to the ground with the center column touching it for maximum stability, and still see what you are aiming at without lying down on the floor. Neat.

And the K-70 has red night time illumination on customisable buttons. Double neat

I don't own one though.
10-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

take note

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If you can hold both before you buy then how it feels can make a difference.

The choice is tough. I might choose durability for bike touring. Mainly because if it breaks on the road, the repair is a problem. Also having 2 memory cards in the camera is great if you go sometime between when you can download them.
Stop and think about your budget for a GOOD tripod, lenses, and all the little rubbish. AND swanlefette makes an important point commonly overlooked. Try handling the cameras. That perhaps is the loudest voice you will hear.
10-26-2018, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I would definitely recommend the K-3 II, the lens, and a flash first (all new). The features of the K-3 II are excellent. I have one, and it provides excellent clarity and detail. The lcd screen on the top of the body to view settings (ISO, F stop, Shutter Speed, and EV for example) is very useful to have, and the built in GPS is handy also. If you ever get extra batteries, I would recommend Pentax brand only. A tripod brand that I would recommend is Sirui, when you decide to get one. I have two, and a Sirui K20X ball head type tripod head that I use on both of them (interchangeable).

I recommend the Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax. I have it. It has P-TTL (Pentax through the lens metering), is easy to use, the lighting is great, and it works flawlessly. Below is a shortcut to a listing for it.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-26-2018 at 09:05 PM.
10-26-2018, 11:14 PM - 4 Likes   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for inputs and advice. It really helped. I have finally ordered K-70 + 18 - 135 MM Lens + O-GPS1 + Sirui EN2004 tripod. It was a tough call and while all inputs were encouraging, however after reviewing comments from swanlefitte and gump, I re-looked at the basic camera design. Now one challenge I noticed with K-3ii is that settings dial is on left hand side and there are a few buttons as well on left. I am left handed and would like to hold the camera lens with left hand and control every thing else with right hand. I realized that it will be very inconvenient (for me personally) to handle K-3ii. Considering that I am new to using a DSLR I had to look at that comfort first else the hobby which I am supposed to enjoy would have become an irritation every time I had to make changes to settings. I could be wrong but from the looks of it I couldn't visualize changing setting with left hand when I am holding lens with it. For my bike rides I can buy a protective case as it will rest in my tail bag (I do not use saddle bags that go on side. Got a 220 cc cruiser and prefer placing tail bag on pillion seat) Once again thank you all for taking the time out to guide me. Going to get the equipment by Monday and will share my initial shots for feedback. Happy to be part of Pentax user group.
10-26-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Congrats on the purchase!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Enjoy your new camera. Next up LBA.

10-27-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You couldn't make a wrong choice, only the most appropriate choice. You will enjoy the advantages and miss the trade offs. Most important is enjoy taking pictures and learning.
10-27-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

For the legendary Pentax build quality, the K-3 is the answer. For a camera that's going to be bounced around a fair bit, that would be my first concern. My K-3 currently has 100,000 exposures on it and is still going strong, and it's been bounced around many times.. I've also never upgraded my DA 18-135. People will talk as if that's some kind of expected event, it's not. For what you are planning to do, it's probably the better choice, in that it's lens that can live on the camera day in day out and can give you more flexibility than a 16-85. For astro-phography, I picked up a Rokinon 14 2.8 after it was recommended by a forum member and recommended as the best lens for astro-photography, across all brands on one of those astro-photography websites that rates such things.

Having had the K-3 and 18-135 for some 5+ years now, it's an awesome combination and will meet most of your touring needs, especially if you pick up a DA 55-300 PLM for wildlife and the aforementioned Rokinon for astro-photography.

I'll have to leave the K-70 commentary for someone who owns one. I have had one in my hands, and can say it's more compact and lighter, but I can't really comment on it beyond that.

Oops, too late.

Last edited by normhead; 10-27-2018 at 08:30 AM.
10-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have an EN-2004 tripod also. It is sturdy, nice design, and dependable. As I said, I use the Sirui K20X ball head on it.

Good luck with your new equipment.
10-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy the combo of bike riding and photography as my name suggests. Although I've done so with my larger-bodied cameras, in more recent years I less often take my heavier K-5 IIs, which is the predecessor of the K-3 and also built like a tank but a bit lighter, and take my smaller 20mp Pentax K-S2, which is the predecessor of the K-70 and designed very much like it, rear screen and all, except it is even lighter. The last couple of years, I've been most often taking my new KP, which has a pro-style build of metal (magnesium alloy) construction similar to a K-3 with the latest 24mp sensor, SR, AF etc. but in a much slimmer form with exceptional low-light higher ISO performance and IQ. I did not suggest that for you because it is more costly, even though well-priced for what it is. Your K-70 is actually the only other in the same league now for low-light/higher ISO performance and other features.

Right now, in fact, I'm down here in Gettysburg PA vacationing with my bicycle as I do every year, and which 2 camera bodies did I bring? -my KP AND my K-S2! The K-S2 and the K-70, though not having the metal construction of the K-3, K-5, or the KP, are still very well-built cameras- a very solid plastic over a metal frame. Both have WR construction, and both have a more upscale 2-dial control system, both thumb and finger dials. You will discover this importance when you discover the Pentax Hyper System, including shooting in the Manual mode. Other brands do not offer such upscale controls or the very good WR construction, among other advantages of the K-70, at such a price point.

The fact is, I've been doing this for a very long time, and have had numerous pro-style built camera bodies, yet I do not hesitate to take my K-S2 out biking as I have so many times since getting it. It has served as my lighter alternative to my very fine K-5 IIs for a number of years before getting the KP. It is certainly built well enough. Here is my method- I have a holster-type cross-shoulder strap plus belt-loop camera bag with an additional front accessory pocket. It holds a camera with lens attached. The cross-shoulder strap and belt-loop combo prevents the camera from swinging. The bag has padding for protection (they all do). It is a compact arrangement and allows freedom of motion. Any larger accessories, if needed, are separately strapped on my rear carrier. Maybe you have a front basket as well, I do not.

As far as left hand vs right hand, all cameras are designed so that if held properly for good stability and efficient use of controls, the left hand will hold from the left AND underneath for greater stability- not just gripping the camera itself, AND will thus exercise control of the lens, while the right hand will hold the grip on the right to further stabilize as well as exercise use of many of the camera's controls. The camera's weight will be mostly supported from underneath by the left hand. It is an ambidextrous affair, and everyone learns in similar fashion. You can use these comments as reference when you get your new camera, but also please do keep in touch. Any questions at all, we are here to help. Enjoy yourself- you have much to discover!

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-27-2018 at 01:43 PM.
10-27-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #27

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the encouragingcomments. It's so nice to see that everyone here is so kind and encouraging.Trust me most of the times when someone makes a choice people are too keen onpointing out why it is a wrong choice. Most surprising part is (positivelysurprising) that no one so far has discouraged me by saying oh that was a bigmistake and blah blah blah... That is one reason I stay away from social media,but it already feels that I am going to enjoy and learn both using my K-70 andbeing a part of community. For someone like me who is a photography illiteratethis is certainly the most exciting thing to happen. Thank you mikesbike Iagree with you, I have a lot to learn and I hope this is going to be anexciting journey. Added advantage is that I'll have fun learning. I will beback with questions and seek advice as I start my journey. At least now I ampositive that help is just a click away and won't be left alone. Once againthank you for all the support so far. I look forward to having fun. I am addinga few shots that I took from my mobile (Hope I am not violating any rules ofthe forum). Please feel free to point out my errors. They were taken usingNokia 720.

10-27-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those shots are evidence of a good eye for taking photographs. Just set up your new camera as I have indicated and keep doing more as above! You will be pleased, I am sure, and have fun during your learning process! I anticipate we will be hearing from you, and welcome to the Pentax Forum.
10-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Mike mentioned, how you are holding the camera is important. The mode dial on the left is rarely going to bother you also if you get a camera setup that way.

Here is a good video on holding the camera:
10-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax club, Jaydeep, and congratulations on your K-70. You have received a lot of good information, especially from mikesbike. The one thing I would add is shot a lot and often. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because you will learn from them. Don't be shy in asking questions on the forum and please don't forget to post your photos.