Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focal length Results

I have gone blank, I think it was that if using a film camera on a Digital camera you multiplied the lens length by 1.r to get the resulting Length. Example 105mm lens X 1.5 equaled 157.5mm.
Do I remember correctly?

11-01-2018, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The focal length of a lens never changes, regardless of the camera you use it with. Depending on the size of the sensor or film, it will capture a different field of view.

If you're using a 50mm lens on camera with an APS-C sensor - which has a 1.5x crop factor compared to 35mm film or so-called "full frame" - then the sensor will capture a field of view equivalent to a 75mm lens on full frame (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm). If you used that same 50mm on a micro four thirds camera - which has a 2x crop factor compared to full frame - then the sensor would capture a field of view equivalent to 50mm x 2 = 100mm on full frame.

Does that make sense?
11-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, that makes sense I thought that was the ratio, but it has been a while since I used it I wasn't sure, I am using my trusty Pentax K10 D, 28 mm takumar + 42 mm
11-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

IMO, the best approach is to never multiply. Take a look at this instead, and see what field of view the focal length corresponds to on your type of camera:
The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2018, 07:50 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbuzard Quote
Yes, that makes sense I thought that was the ratio, but it has been a while since I used it I wasn't sure, I am using my trusty Pentax K10 D, 28 mm takumar + 42 mm
The whole multiplication factor thing is, to my mind, an invention with no practical use for people who shoot one format, and of little practical use for people who shoot multiple formats. The sole purpose of it these days seems to be for people to drill into the heads of other people how deficient their small sensor cameras are because they can’t get the razor thin depth of field that can be had with larger ones.
If you only shoot one format, there isn’t much need to know what a lens will do on another one.
At one time I shot 3 formats, 35mm, 6x7 and 4x5. I don’t recall ever doing the mental gymnastics that people inflict on themselves these days to figure out what one focal length would do on the formats I wasn’t using at the moment.
11-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The important thing is that you know how a 28mm lens - and how a 42mm lens - work on that camera. I've largely stopped thinking about focal lengths since most all lenses I use are zooms .... so I just find a setting that does what I want to do.
11-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
The reason for my question was I am trying to achieve Stereo pictures, and am using the Cha-Cha method, place your weight on one foot, snap a picture, shift your to the other foot, snap a picture, I have tried 50mm and 55mm and am not satisfied, I have shot on a rail on a tripod taking two pictures, not really happy. Somewhere I read to use a 48mm lens, I don't have a 48, so was wanting to try the 28mm on my K10, with that is only 42mm. But that is better. Any suggestion?

11-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try with a 35mm lens. I believe you’ll then get a “traditional” stereo image.
11-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Try with a 35mm lens. I believe you’ll then get a “traditional” stereo image.
Are you saying a Digital 35 o=r film 35?
11-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm being picky here, but entirely for your benefit... Digital can mean several different sizes of sensor, so you're best off referring to the sensor or medium size rather than "digital" or "film". In your case, you're referring to APS-C
11-04-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A 35mm lens has the same focal length whether film, apps-c, medium format or large format. The difference is the lens needs to make a larger circle to cover the larger formats. If you take a 35mm lens made for film and shoot it on the K-1, then shoot it on the K3, the image is 1.5x larger on the K-1. But if you crop the middle, you’ll have the same image the K3 captures. Technically there’s no difference with a 35mm lens regardless of format, just the image circle size.
11-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Technically there’s no difference with a 35mm lens regardless of format, just the image circle size.
Again, being picky, but the image circle from the lens stays exactly the same. What changes, based on the size of the sensor or film media, is the portion of that image circle that is captured...
11-04-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Again, being picky, but the image circle from the lens stays exactly the same. What changes, based on the size of the sensor or film media, is the portion of that image circle that is captured...
I’d have to disagree with you here (respectfully of course). Take the DA20-40, yes the image at the wide end is 20mm regardless of the camera it is attached to, yet on the K-1 the image circle isn’t large enough to cover the entire sensor, leaving the corners dark.

I agree, the actual angle in degrees will not change, regardless of format. I think too much thought is put into what one lens does on one camera as compared to another. Since I’ve always shot at least two formats, I stopped worrying about lens conversions long ago.

I try to tell people to get to know the lens you have with the camera you’re using. If you need wider, then buy a wider lens. It actually makes it easier buying lenses because lens manufacturers have always stuck with one format when labeling lenses. Could you imagine what it would be like if aps-c lenses were labeled with the “crop” factor?
11-04-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d have to disagree with you here (respectfully of course). Take the DA20-40, yes the image at the wide end is 20mm regardless of the camera it is attached to, yet on the K-1 the image circle isn’t large enough to cover the entire sensor, leaving the corners dark.
We're all in agreement … Mike's saying the image circle hasn't changed, the sensor under it has gotten bigger leaving the corners dark, same as you.
11-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We're all in agreement … Mike's saying the image circle hasn't changed, the sensor under it has gotten bigger leaving the corners dark, same as you.
I figured that’s what he was saying, but I wanted to clarify a bit for the OP.

A big part of the reason I switched to Pentax was I was shooting film alongside digital. I wanted to be able to have one set of lenses for both. After banging my head on the wall a few times figuring out the crop factor, I realized it didn’t really matter. Just frame the shot you see in the viewfinder and change lenses when necessary.