Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #1

Ricoh KR 5 Super II and Pentax smc m 40mm 2.8

Hey guys,
I have a Ricoh KR 5 Super II and use a Pentax smc m 40mm 2.8. Infact i picked up the lens specifically for this body. Thing is when i use the lens, 9 out of twen shots, the mirror gets stuck against the lens on its way up. Cant do anything afterwards. Cant wind on, cant use the shutter, changing focus makes no difference once its locked. only thing that works is taking the lens off and that releases the mirror.

I can see tiny chips on the bottom of the mirror now and sort of scratch marks on the back of the lens.

When i focus at closer than 10m its fine. Soon as i reach just before 10 m and further, it starts catching. Should this be happening?

you can see the scratches on the lens as well as the chips in the bottom of the mirror.

please help guys.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
11-02-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In a word, no, that should not be happening. I haven't used that specific combination; my M 40 works well on my Ricoh XR7 but that's an actual Ricoh product, where as I think the KR-5's were made by Cosina.

Do other Pentax lenses from the M series work okay on that body? I think you should stop using this lens and camera combination right now. Focusing happens to the front of the lens, it doesn't extend the back of the lens towards the mirror.
11-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Pres.
Yeah i stoped using it within the foirst day of noticing...

On this lens (its a pancake) the back moves to focus.
11-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll have to check my copy to see how much the rear element and baffle move during focusing.

11-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Cheers Pres
11-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
where as I think the KR-5's were made by Cosina.
Ricoh product on same basic platform as the XR-1 and XR-2 bodies, though with fine differences in the details. Oops...my bad. Long story, but short version is that I did not read the thread title carefully. The KR-5 Super II is a Cosina rebadge.

@deede...The mirror on your camera is different than on most KR-5s. Photos I found for the KR-5 show a beveled corner and a frame shaped to retain the mirror at the bevel. I suspect that it is an early design that was improved in later production. It is possible that yours has become dislodged at some point and needs to be reattached in its proper position.

Edit: Your mirror is typical for the KR-5 Super II and the rest about the cause/repair remains the same.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.
11-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't the XR7 on that same platform as the 1 and 2?

11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Isn't the XR7 on that same platform as the 1 and 2?
There are so many Ricoh variants on several different platforms. The earliest KR and XR models (late 1970s) are different construction and different shutter than the XR7 and similar bodies. The second generation bodies are significantly lighter and more compact. They are easily distinguished by the shutter speed dial and shutter release location.

Steve
11-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. So back to the OP's question, what would you recommend he do? I feel like the M 40 is kind of a special thing and it would be easier to change bodies to find something that works with that lens, but I also am really surprised to hear that this failure is happening at all.
11-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is possible that yours has become dislodged at some point and needs to be reattached in its proper position.
Compare to photo of mirror box below. You mirror appears to have slid down.

From: Rocky Cameras | Ricoh KR-5 SUPER II SLR Camera Cased -MINT- 9.99

Steve
11-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Steve nailed the culprit. In comparison to every other photo of his camera, the mirror sits low in the OP’s camera. It likely was dropped and dislodged at some point. I’ve done this to one of my Pentax bodies and had it repaired by my repair man in about 10 minutes.
11-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I’ve done this to one of my Pentax bodies and had it repaired by my repair man in about 10 minutes.
Or just buy a new body. KR-5s in all variants are cheap and plentiful...
11-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Or just buy a new body. KR-5s in all variants are cheap and plentiful...
True. My LX on the other hand...
11-23-2023, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #14

This happens to mine in hotter weather if it’s sitting for long enough. The glue between the mirror and the plate melts slightly, and the mirror slides down, then it cools in place.

All you need to do is heat the back of the mirror plate with a hairdryer until the glue melts enough for you to move the mirror, then, gently push the mirror back onto the plate, until their edges align.

---------- Post added 11-23-23 at 03:52 AM ----------

then let it cool (obviously)

I press the mirror and plate together for a little while at the start.

---------- Post added 11-23-23 at 03:52 AM ----------

then let it cool (obviously)

I press the mirror and plate together for a little while at the start.
11-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your experience...note, however, that this discussion is more than 5 years old, and the member posting the issue hasn't been back since then.