Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting discussion

On a recent overseas trip I noticed that nearly all my photos were 1 or 2 degrees out. All the same way too. All hand held and while I try to line things up to the view finder marks I do not take much notice of the built in level (K5IIs).
Then again many of the old European buildings are not level to start with. (Amsterdam, Venice etc)

I guess I will have to set up a spirit level to check it out

11-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My K10 sensor was misaligned.
Misalignment was a known issue with the K10D. I believe that Pentax eventually recognised the issue, although did nothing about it.
11-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Interesting discussion

On a recent overseas trip I noticed that nearly all my photos were 1 or 2 degrees out. All the same way too. All hand held and while I try to line things up to the view finder marks I do not take much notice of the built in level (K5IIs).
Then again many of the old European buildings are not level to start with. (Amsterdam, Venice etc)

I guess I will have to set up a spirit level to check it out
Put the camera on a table and check for level. Then turn the camera 180 degrees and check the level. If the reading is the same in both directions, the level is good. If the readings differ, the level is off by half the difference.

As an aside, it’s a good idea, when buying a spirit level, to check it for accuracy before you purchase it. A surprisingly high percentage of them are off by a bit.
11-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have to check my cameras now! I always just thought that I was at least a half a bubble off of level. That's what my friends always said.

11-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Misalignment was a known issue with the K10D. I believe that Pentax eventually recognised the issue, although did nothing about it.
Mine was fine and today is the first I have heard of that known issue with the K10D (owned 3/07 through 3/14).

Steve
11-06-2018, 03:50 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mine was fine and today is the first I have heard of that known issue with the K10D
I saw it in a discussion on another forum some years ago. It did not affect all cameras so perhaps it was an assembly issue. There have been discussions in the past here too (some before my time), and this will lead to them :-

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club...l?#post4233565

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 11-12-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Typo
11-06-2018, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
Thanks all, I have done a few tests as recommended, and am pretty sure that the sensor (unit?) is slightly rotated. I have also tested the pixel shift feature, which still seems to work. I was worried that if the sensor was rotated, but still pixel shifted along a truly straight axis the pixels would not line up with each other, but they seem to, which maybe means it is the whole unit off? Anyway, as it is pretty minor I'm just going to live with it, it's probably always been like that, but I've only just recently started shooting straight things!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by alcvet; 11-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.
11-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent picture. Well done.