Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 sensor not level

I think the sensor on my K1 is not level... I've been taking seascapes, and despite having the in built camera level spot on central, and lining up the horizon with one of the viewfinder lines in some cases, the resulting photo (and the live view) is about 0.8 degrees tilted down to the right each time. Has anyone else had this issue?

11-05-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
if it's only in some cases, it's probably the camera moving. down and to the right is the way the camera moves when you press the shutter button. try Auto Horizon Correction (or try it off if it's on?) or 2 second timer? good luck.
11-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's also possible that it's a decentered lens, and not the sensor.
11-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
if it's only in some cases, it's probably the camera moving. down and to the right is the way the camera moves when you press the shutter button. try Auto Horizon Correction (or try it off if it's on?) or 2 second timer? good luck.
Sorry should have said, I always use a cable release, and have checked horizon correction is off...

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
It's also possible that it's a decentered lens, and not the sensor.
I'll try with a different lens cheers. I assume it is the sensor, because the view through the optical viewfinder, (and therefore TTL) is straight, but the liveview is visibly out

11-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

I have had similar issue with K-7. It probably requires software adjustment of level measurement device. I was helped by the Pentax service.

Last edited by bladawiec; 11-05-2018 at 08:24 AM.
11-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

do a mirror lock-up and see if the sensor is visibly tilted as well?
11-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SR off ?

11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

...as continuation of my previous post: you can enable sensor horizon correction function and look for photos. In my case - before service - all photos were rotated for the same little (but clearly visible) angle.

Last edited by bladawiec; 11-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
11-05-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alcvet Quote
I think the sensor on my K1 is not level... I've been taking seascapes, and despite having the in built camera level spot on central, and lining up the horizon with one of the viewfinder lines in some cases, the resulting photo (and the live view) is about 0.8 degrees tilted down to the right each time. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sounds like this is being caused by poor calibration of the electronic level. You can disable automatic horizon correction through the menu.

If updating the firmware doesn't do the trick, you can send the camera in for adjustment if you want to use this feature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Has anyone else had this issue?
This question comes up every so often, though I can't recall if the cause was ever isolated to sensor alignment. There are multiple things that might result in the final image not being consistently true to the horizon. Those include:
  • Misaligned main mirror
  • Misaligned viewfinder overlay or focus screen
  • Misaligned or miscalibrated in-camera leveling sensors (if using that method)*
  • Shift in sensor alignment due to SR system
  • Movement of camera after it was leveled
  • Poorly aligned sensor block
  • Lens axis alignment, either internal or at mount causing keystoning
  • Unreasonable expectations
In theory, leveling the camera to known true features in the subject using the grids in live view should be a good test...assuming the grid lines are not too wide for the desired precision. Another method might be to use a carpenter's level on the tripod head, however, that assumes uniform thickness of any QR plates or L-brackets as well as the camera bottom itself.

Out of curiosity, how does one measure a consistent 0.8° deviance?

Steve

* My understanding that the leveling sensors are part of the main processor chip.
11-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This question comes up every so often, though I can't recall if the cause was ever isolated to sensor alignment. There are multiple things that might result in the final image not being consistently true to the horizon. Those include:
  • Misaligned main mirror
  • Misaligned viewfinder overlay or focus screen
  • Misaligned or miscalibrated in-camera leveling sensors (if using that method)*
  • Shift in sensor alignment due to SR system
  • Movement of camera after it was leveled
  • Poorly aligned sensor block
  • Lens axis alignment, either internal or at mount causing keystoning
  • Unreasonable expectations
In theory, leveling the camera to known true features in the subject using the grids in live view should be a good test...assuming the grid lines are not too wide for the desired precision. Another method might be to use a carpenter's level on the tripod head, however, that assumes uniform thickness of any QR plates or L-brackets as well as the camera bottom itself.

Out of curiosity, how does one measure a consistent 0.8° deviance?

Steve

* My understanding that the leveling sensors are part of the main processor chip.
Thanks Steve, measured by how much I have to straighten it in LR afterwards

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 10:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
do a mirror lock-up and see if the sensor is visibly tilted as well?
I may try this, although it is such a small deviation I may struggle to pick it up just looking at the sensor without reference, it has been the horizon of the seascapes which has led to me picking it up...

---------- Post added 11-05-18 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
SR off ?
yep...
11-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10 sensor was misaligned. As I always shot raw and processed through Silkypix developer studio I created a default setup that meant the alignment was corrected by the processing software without me having to touch it for each individual picture.
11-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-1 is spot on - which I'm chuffed about as my K-5 is out of level in some manner and its always a bit annoying.
11-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Steve, measured by how much I have to straighten it in LR afterwards
I learn something new every day. I've been a LR user since v1.0 and always assumed the rotation was in arbitrary units. Now I know it is measured in degrees.

A service facility may be able to check and tweak the calibrations for the sensor centering and and in-camera level sensors.

Steve

(...suddenly feeling a need to check whether my sensor is true...)
11-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Quite a few years ago I had same issue on one of K20's...had it serviced under warranty. No issue after that....

I'd try the other suggestions before resorting to service. Good luck....