Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Cannot View K-5 Camera Images on PC

Just started using this camera and have several images on it. They can be viewed with the camera's preview button. Connect it to the PC with the USB cable and a removable drive letter is assigned, when I double-click the drive it asks me if I want to format, well no. Cannot even explore the drive with Windows explorer. Jumped through a lot of hoops installing the Pentax Digital Camera Utility v4 and when I try to open the same drive it asks me if I want to Format as well.

I don't have this problem viewing my other cameras with their internal memory, so what is up with this K-5?

As an experiment I also tried to format this same drive with Windows and PDCU and both report an error that they cannot format.

When I check the "properties" of this removable drive in Windows, it shows it as a removable disk but says it is using the RAW file system.

The K-5 can format it fine.

Thanks,

11-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd use a card reader to check if the card can be read that way. Could help you decide whether it's the card that's the problem (try another one in the camera and see if it then works), or the camera itself.
11-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you use an original Pentax USB cable?
As far as I remember, the DSLR industry started using mini and micro USB connectors before these became the official (final) standard. It seems there are lines/contacts used which the standard just ignores. These were left free for proprietary use by manufacturers.
Most cables not designed for Pentax DSLRs will still work, but not all of them.

By the way, I get identical behavior as you if I try to read a formatted SDHC card in early models of SD card readers.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-06-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Typing
11-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I'd use a card reader to check if the card can be read that way. Could help you decide whether it's the card that's the problem (try another one in the camera and see if it then works), or the camera itself.
I will need to pick up a more up to date card reader today for these SDXC UHS-1 cards and try that.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 11-06-18 at 08:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Do you use an original Pentax USB cable?
As far as I remember, the DSLR industry started using mini and micro USB connectors before these became the official (final) standard. It seems there are lines/contacts used which the standard just ignores. These were left free for proprietary use by manufacturers.
Most cables not designed for Pentax DSLRs will still work, but not all of them.

By the way, I get identical behavior as you if I try to read a formatted SDHC card in early models of SD card readers.

I am not totally sure it is an original Pentax cable. The K-5 body was bought new from Roberts Camera and I guess they could have substituted anything.

---------- Post added 11-06-18 at 08:55 AM ----------

Just tried this on my Windows 7-64 computer and it works fine. Guess it didn't like XP.

All is well for now. Thanks again.

11-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The file system of SDXC is from Microsoft and different/not compatible with the organisation of the SD/SDHC file systems.
To make XP understand it, you would need to install special drivers for SDXC.
Presently I am too lazy to search for information whether MS offers these drivers also for XP, but I think you could do this by yourself.

EDIT;
If those drivers exist, it is still not sure whether they would support/be supported by the reader you are using. This may be also pre-SDXC.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.
11-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Windows XP doesn't support the exFat file system that SDXC cards use without an update.The updates are kind of hard to find on the Microsoft site but here are (working) links to the update files. I think the K-5 is supported in the Pentax Raw codec for XP that you can still download from Ricoh. You need the codec to view the thumbnails in the PEF files.

edit: The page requests not to post links so I removed it Search for "Microsoft Windows KB955704" to find active downloads.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.
11-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think the K-5 is supported in the Pentax Raw codec for XP
Indeed its is.
On one of my computers I still use XP/32bit and there are no problems to see PEF files with every viewer and explorer/explorer replacement.
11-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Windows XP doesn't support the exFat file system that SDXC cards use without an update.The updates are kind of hard to find on the Microsoft site but here are (working) links to the update files. I think the K-5 is supported in the Pentax Raw codec for XP that you can still download from Ricoh. You need the codec to view the thumbnails in the PEF files.

Greyghost | Microsoft Windows KB955704 Update Information
FWIW, the update may be downloaded direct from Microsoft...

Microsoft Update Catalog

The XP SP3 entry should be at the top of the list. The download link on that line gets the .exe file for the service pack.

The link is handy for getting SP3, but not for the optional exFAT support in KB955704. My bad...
Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2018 at 12:35 PM.
11-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The exFAT driver provided with KB955704 as linked by Not A Number and stevebrot are only compatible with the English version of XP.

For users of a German XP I found an old discussion in the German winfuture-forum.
One member offered to PM the WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-DEU.exe.
When he got hundreds of requests to send it, he gave up and up-loaded it to the Amazon-cloud.
Presently it is still available there:
Amazon Drive

Of course I cannot guarantee for anything. I would suggest to virus-scan before you install it.

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 19:41 ----------

Searching in old discussions related to exFAT, I found that this file system was made transaction-safe only when used with Windows 6 (Vista, Server 2008) or newer. According to MS, failure of this file system resulting in data loss happens seldom, but cannot be ruled out when exFAT is used with Windows 5 (XP, Server 2003).

This could be the reason why MS withdraw the XP/Server 2003 versions of the driver for all languages.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
11-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The exFAT driver provided with KB955704 as linked by Not A Number and stevebrot are only compatible with the English version of XP.
The link I provided is for XP SP3 (KB936929) in multiple languages, including German. SP3 should include the exFAT drivers as well as other essential stuff. Clicking the download button brings up a second window with the actual links.

Edit: My bad. For some reason, I thought that SP3 included exFAT support. The short story is that it does not. SP3 itself is hard enough to find, but is not the fix needed here.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2018 at 12:33 PM.
11-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Windows XP!

I was horrified enough to be watching 'Ambulance Australia' last night and saw a Sydney dispatch centre had some Windows 7 workstations in the background.
11-07-2018, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
KB955704 worked fine for fixing exFat on XP. -- Thanks.