Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus lock using remote ...?

Working from a tripod. Using wireless remote to flip mirror then wait till ready to fire shutter. I use centre point AF.

Works fine, but if I want to focus off-centre (not manually focusing here, as I sometimes do), I use LV and select a focus point, pressing shutter to focus.

I then switch off LV (to save battery), flick the focus switch to manual and using wireless remote double press to take shot. This works fine in my sloooow shooting mode, but I find it a pain to keep flicking the auto/manual focus switch. The back button AF gets cleared with first press of remote.

Is there any way to stop having to switch the auto/manual switch each time ? It's not much of an issue, but I sometimes forget I'm in MF mode, which is irritating. Of course it may be in the manual, but I don't have a copy to hand and data connection is poor so I can't download. Hope this gets sent ...

Many thanks

11-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you disable af with the shutter button, and leave only the back button focus on, I believe the remote will not focus either. That's how it works with cable release for the k3ii, I don't have a wireless remote.

Edit: I also vaguely remember something about af with remote under custom settings, but I don't have the camera with me now

Last edited by aaacb; 11-08-2018 at 07:31 AM.
11-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you don't want your remote half press to auto focus you will need to make sure it is set to off in the C menu.
11-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, the option is in the settings menu. Where exactly would depend on the model, but it is called something sensible and obvious, like 'Use AF with remote' or somesuch.

11-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some of it has to do with your camera model. Some of them have an auto lock button and an ael button. I believe all of them can be set to auto lock in conjunction with the ael lock in the C menu. If yours has the AF back button then it makes it easier as it will auto lock when it is depressed and released whether you are using AFS or AFC. Another way to AF lock, re focus but not need to use a remote to reduce camera shake Is lock the focus then use the shutter delay setting in the drive mode.
11-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF with IR (wireless) remote is OFF by default on Pentax dSLRs,* unless set otherwise. See the C(ustom) settings menu. With a wired remote, AF follows the behavior of the main shutter release.

On the K-1...
menu --> C2 --> 10. AF With Remote Control

Steve

* At least the five or six models I surveyed for a similar question on another recent thread.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-08-2018 at 08:56 AM.
11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
AF with IR (wireless) remote is OFF by default on Pentax dSLRs,* unless set otherwise. See the C(ustom) settings menu. With a wired remote, AF follows the behavior of the main shutter release.

On the K-1...
menu --> C2 --> 10. AF With Remote Control

Steve

* At least the five or six models I surveyed for a similar question on another recent thread.
I've set that as I want it to AF in normal (centre point) focusing. It's just the need to off-centre focus that I want to manage. It's on a k-1, by the way ...

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
11-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've set that as I want it to AF in normal (centre point) focusing. It's just the need to off-centre focus that I want to manage. It's on a k-1, by the way ...
I don't have time this morning to test this out, but you may be able to configure a User mode for when you want AF off with remote. You still won't be able to fine tune for AF on center-point only, but you at least can cover the case for when you want it off and don't want to have to toggle the AF/MF switch.

Steve

11-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have time this morning to test this out, but you may be able to configure a User mode for when you want AF off with remote. You still won't be able to fine tune for AF on center-point only, but you at least can cover the case for when you want it off and don't want to have to toggle the AF/MF switch.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I've all my User modes already set. Guess there'd be a wear and tear issue with regularly switching the mode dial as there is with keep on flicking the auto/manual focus switch. This is not a major concern, but trying to avoid these sort of wear issues was partly behind my initial question.
11-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Working from a tripod. Using wireless remote to flip mirror then wait till ready to fire shutter. I use centre point AF.

Works fine, but if I want to focus off-centre (not manually focusing here, as I sometimes do), I use LV and select a focus point, pressing shutter to focus.

I then switch off LV (to save battery), flick the focus switch to manual and using wireless remote double press to take shot. This works fine in my sloooow shooting mode, but I find it a pain to keep flicking the auto/manual focus switch. The back button AF gets cleared with first press of remote.

Is there any way to stop having to switch the auto/manual switch each time ? It's not much of an issue, but I sometimes forget I'm in MF mode, which is irritating. Of course it may be in the manual, but I don't have a copy to hand and data connection is poor so I can't download. Hope this gets sent ...

Many thanks
The simplest answer might be to not switch off LV. It seems that you're going through a number of steps for each shot in order to stretch the time between battery charges. Also, I wonder if the total extra time that your camera is on offsets the battery power saved anyway.