Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Swanlefitte just indicated the Sigma is 2/3rds of a stop slower than the F stop wide open (I'm assuming similar at F4), whereas the Nikon is 4.25 at F4 (which is really close to true). So that could well be noticeable, Also assuming that it's those particular lenses and that DXOMark got it right, sample variation, yada yada.

...but yeah, the different brands do work to different values, Having had hands on most brands over the past few years I've noticed that Nikon is consistently brighter for a particular iso value, and Pentax usually dimmer, It doesn't make much of a difference for actual shooting (assuming the cameras are the same age, format, etc).

11-16-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate it.

A few minutes ago, I was about retake the pictures with an 85 mm lens on both cameras, in Manual mode, when it occurred to me to look closer at the blades on the Sigma lens - they were not moving as I turned the aperture wheel on the Pentax. To my great surprise, it was the contacts on the K3 that were not perfectly clean! A gentle wiping and I am getting similarly exposed images from both cameras. Whew! I feel very silly for not checking that first.
11-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate it.

A few minutes ago, I was about retake the pictures with an 85 mm lens on both cameras, in Manual mode, when it occurred to me to look closer at the blades on the Sigma lens - they were not moving as I turned the aperture wheel on the Pentax. To my great surprise, it was the contacts on the K3 that were not perfectly clean! A gentle wiping and I am getting similarly exposed images from both cameras. Whew! I feel very silly for not checking that first.
Well. Mystery solved.