Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a reminder, the issue with non conducting lens mounts came about with the release of the K10. Before that non conducting lens mounts worked. Same issue with stopping down a lense with auto aperture, cameras older than K10 worked regardless but with the K10 this function disappeared

12-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a reminder, the issue with non conducting lens mounts came about with the release of the K10. Before that non conducting lens mounts worked. Same issue with stopping down a lense with auto aperture, cameras older than K10 worked regardless but with the K10 this function disappeared
Sounds like the post-K10 bodies are at the mercy of their own hubris!

I am currently using adhesive backed copper foil to make the contacts on my nonconductive lenses - this foil is thicker than the aluminium foil I have, so it's not getting damaged the same. It will do until I have a more robust solution!

I still think that a brass shim (0.1-0.3mm would probably be more than enough) cut with a pair of scissors and glued on with some PVC/PVA would be more than sufficient for what we actually need here: it's not like this is a high-

I've also experimented with electroplating, but... realised something pretty quickly... You can't electroplate an insulative surface - which is precisely what we are trying to change by electroplating in the first place!

::epic facepalm:: - Some chemist I am! That was literally first year materials science!
12-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I've also experimented with electroplating, but... realised something pretty quickly... You can't electroplate an insulative surface - which is precisely what we are trying to change by electroplating in the first place!

::epic facepalm:: - Some chemist I am! That was literally first year materials science!
I wondered about that... But I figured you had some new method I didn't understand!
12-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I had problems with CIF it had to do with:
the mount (solved by using kitchen foil between the mount and the camera)
light / the subject not having enough contrast (solved by using a flashlight or trying a different angle)

12-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
QuoteQuote:
I wondered about that... But I figured you had some new method I didn't understand!
I believe it'd be possible using a higher plating voltage or a chemical deposition method. I know you can plate phosphate-anodised aluminium (but that has a much thinner surface oxide layer). However, I do wonder... see, the anodised aluminium layer is porous - so it may be possible to absorb an electrolyte into that and then start the electroplating process off with that.

A chemical deposition or electroless plating method would probably be more reliable though, with less chance of accidentally arcing on, near, or across a lens element and covering it in carbon!

It also occured to me that instead of hand-cutting shimming material (though that is also pretty easy!) I could simply get a shim manufacturer to laser cut a small batch of them - they're not terribly costly!