Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ZX-10 help

I've read the ZX-10 manual and it says to practice with the camera without film to become familiar with its operation. Ok. Problem is that the camera powers up, everything sets up and then it whirls and will not function. It seems to be searching for a film canister. So, can the ZX-10 be fired without film in it or is this one just DOA? Thanks.

11-17-2018, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #2

It might be the common problem of the mirror motor gear having broken. The gear broke on my MX-50 and one of the motors runs constantly if I put batteries in it and turn it on - film or no film.

One of the many threads on the mirror gear:
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com

There's a website in Poland (as I recall) that sells a compatible gear - it should be linked in the thread if not I have it saved somewhere.
11-18-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like it’s DOA, likely the mirror gear as Not a Number said. Just to be sure, I checked my MZ and ZX and both will fire without film (or a lens for that matter).
11-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Sounds like it’s DOA, likely the mirror gear as Not a Number said. Just to be sure, I checked my MZ and ZX and both will fire without film (or a lens for that matter).
Gracias. Sad but glad to know it's not something I'm doing wrong.

11-18-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it make a whining noise when you turn it on? I've had a bunch of these and thats generally a sign it's DOA.
11-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Does it make a whining noise when you turn it on? I've had a bunch of these and thats generally a sign it's DOA.
Yup. Methinks it is DOA. Scavenge the plugs and covers and chuck it in the trash.....
11-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sound like it.

Some people sell them on ebay for parts - but to be honest who would buy one for parts when they are generally super cheap anyway... Probably not worth the bother.

11-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Sound like it.

Some people sell them on ebay for parts - but to be honest who would buy one for parts when they are generally super cheap anyway... Probably not worth the bother.
I have to agree. I'd be happy to send it to anyone here that wants to pay shipping. Again, why bother but I thought I'd throw the offer out before I throw the camera out.
11-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have to agree. I'd be happy to send it to anyone here that wants to pay shipping. Again, why bother but I thought I'd throw the offer out before I throw the camera out.
Actually, I’ll probably take you up on that. I’ve been considering finding a known DOA MZ or ZX body to disassemble. I really like the MZ-3 and 5 cameras which seem to have the most trouble with the gear stripping. That way I could see if it’s worth my time to order some gears and repair a couple.
11-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Both the flash pivot and the gear broke on my MZ-50. I don't think it's worth fixing. The gear doesn't strip, but rather splits. I've seen this happen quite often with plastic pinion gears.
11-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Actually, I’ll probably take you up on that. I’ve been considering finding a known DOA MZ or ZX body to disassemble. I really like the MZ-3 and 5 cameras which seem to have the most trouble with the gear stripping. That way I could see if it’s worth my time to order some gears and repair a couple.
I also have a DOA SF1.........

PM my your address and I'll figure out what it will cost USPS to you. We can work that out.