Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Samyang 24mm 1.4 decentered?

Hello, recently I have bought Samyang 24mm 1.4 for my K-1 but since the first shot, I thought there was something off about it. I'm uploading few test corner crops (shot from a tripod, same distance, settings, focus), can any other users of this lens say if that kind of performance is to be expected from this glass or my copy is a dud? I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Best Regards.

Last edited by Higaide; 11-03-2019 at 08:19 AM.
11-26-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like an exchange would be warranted for this copy. Samyang lenses do suffer from poor quality control, but once you get a good copy you should be pleased with the results

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like an exchange would be warranted for this copy. Samyang lenses do suffer from poor quality control, but once you get a good copy you should be pleased with the results
Thanks for the reply, I guess I will return it, hope the next one will perform better.
11-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, your copy is a dud. Exchange it and there's maybe a 50% chance of the next one being good. A properly assembled copy should be quite good but it's difficult to find one.

The 24/1.4 seems especially prone to assembly errors. This applies whether it's labeled Samyang, Rokinon, or Bower. All 3 companies come form the same factory.

I'm curious what the center of your bad copy looks like. My 2 bad copies were bad in the center as well as the corners. It seemed like something more significant than typical "decentering".

11-27-2018, 01:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Yeah, your copy is a dud. Exchange it and there's maybe a 50% chance of the next one being good. A properly assembled copy should be quite good but it's difficult to find one.

The 24/1.4 seems especially prone to assembly errors. This applies whether it's labeled Samyang, Rokinon, or Bower. All 3 companies come form the same factory.

I'm curious what the center of your bad copy looks like. My 2 bad copies were bad in the center as well as the corners. It seemed like something more significant than typical "decentering".
Actually, about center, at f1.4 it is impossible to find a perfect focus (low contrast doesn't help), it either goes into magenta or into green. It improves a bit stopped down. Quick crops attached.

11-27-2018, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

^ your copy is even worse than my 2 bad copies were.

All these bad copies make we wonder just how widespread the problem is. Are there a lot of good copies on the first purchase that people just don't post about? Or do a lot of Samyang/Rokinon buyers not notice the problem until it's too late to return a bad lens? Or does Samyang accept a high level of returns as the cost of doing business, and still makes a profit despite all the bad copies?

...just wondering, Samyang will never release data, and anything compiled via PF will be anecdotal.
11-27-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad to see but when it is good, it can be an amazing lens. Here is one from my get together with @jcsntc at dawn last Friday. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/50522-jcsnyc/albums/12857-pemaqu...ure121199.html
11-28-2018, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
SSGGeezer - I took a quick look at your link, huge difference, no way I could have achieved that kind of sharpness with my copy. I sent it back today, hopefully next one will be better.

12-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Higaide Quote
SSGGeezer - I took a quick look at your link, huge difference, no way I could have achieved that kind of sharpness with my copy. I sent it back today, hopefully next one will be better.
Hello again, just thought I would share - today I received another Samyang 24mm 1.4, and I am having a hard time telling which one is worse, the one I sent back or the one I just received. To sum up - turns out the first one really had a focusing issue (what I mentioned about focus immediately shifting from green to magenta). Second one doesn't have that issue, no problem focusing in the middle of the frame however there is something else... bottom right part is so out of focus i didn't even need to pixel peep to see the problem (see crops). There is also an issue with focus ring making excruciating noise while being turned, becoming louder when nearing the infinity range. I think I'm done with Samyang, hopefully Pentax will realese something in the near future with wide aperture and covering 24-28mm range... (unless there is already an alternative that I missed?)

12-04-2018, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Higaide Quote
Hello again, just thought I would share - today I received another Samyang 24mm 1.4, and I am having a hard time telling which one is worse, the one I sent back or the one I just received. To sum up - turns out the first one really had a focusing issue (what I mentioned about focus immediately shifting from green to magenta). Second one doesn't have that issue, no problem focusing in the middle of the frame however there is something else... bottom right part is so out of focus i didn't even need to pixel peep to see the problem (see crops). There is also an issue with focus ring making excruciating noise while being turned, becoming louder when nearing the infinity range. I think I'm done with Samyang, hopefully Pentax will realese something in the near future with wide aperture and covering 24-28mm range... (unless there is already an alternative that I missed?)
Yep, just send that one back, too, and keep doing it until you get what you paid for, Higaide.

My advice to everyone buying a lens from any company is to test it like you have before throwing any of the packaging away.