Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Tamron adaptal adapter stuck on mount.

Hi everybody.

First, sorry my english is not correct.

I bought cheap adaptall adapter and I tried it on my camera. Adaptall lens was working good and everything seemed to be OK. BUT when I tried to remove adapter, it didn't remove. Camera is an old K10D, but it worked perfectly by using M42 adapter and my old lenses, so I used it quite often. Now problem is jammed adapter. It turns on mount, but it's impossible to remove. It doesn't come out. I still want to use that camera, although it's old.

I wish to get help here.

Jyty S.

12-07-2018, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Your English is fine.

Is the adapter rotated about 1/3 of a turn?

About ten years ago, we went on a cruise out of San Diego. I took my K10d, along with the cheap 500mm mirror lens with a T-Mount that I had just bought.

I was in the hotel room where we stayed the night before the cruise, playing around with the lens and I inadvertently inserted to adapter about 1/3 rotated. There are three locking flanges on the Pentax K-mount, so it was relatively easy to do. Unfortunately, the mount would not release from the camera.

I found a nearby camera shop that carried Pentax gear. They sympathized but could offer no help, other than to send it off to a repair facility, but I needed the camera for the cruise. They did have some tools, though. They wouldn't touch it, for fear of damaging the camera mount, but I removed the lens from the adapter and, using a screwdriver, pried the adapter out of the mount.

It turns out that the steel in the mount was stronger that that in the adapter, so the flange on the adapter bent just enough to allow me to remove it.

In other words, I used brute force. It worked and I was lucky that it did no damage to the camera.

I'm not recommending that you do the same, but it may come down to that. Its your call. I my case, the t-mount adapter could not be disassembled any further to remove it. Perhaps the Adaptall adapter can.

Good luck.
12-07-2018, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #3

Perhaps the user manuals would help. I recall there be discussion on if the proper sequence in attaching the adapters is not followed it can cause problems. I suggest you try the search function of the board to find the relevant messages.

Tamron Adaptall / Adaptall - II instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
12-07-2018, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you haven't unlocked the mount from the lens. if it is unlocked, make sure it is clicked in place and be careful to remove the lens without unlocking the mount from the lens. I accidentally loosened the mount from the lens a few years ago and caused myself problems. I don't have the lens where I am now or I would be more specific.

12-07-2018, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
There shouldn't be anything jamming the original adapter in camera mount as far I can see looking at my adapters.

Are you using a basic manual adapter or a-adapter? A adapter has contacts. I don't know, if they could stuck with some loose screw or focusing motor screw. You could try swiching from auto to manual focusing to release the focusing screw?
Perhaps the adapter has got some damage and just bent a bit?
Here's some piece of advice copied from Photography and Imaging Resources - APOTELYT I hope it helps.

"In order to mount or unmount an Adaptall Custom fitting, it is necessary to open the lens to maximum aperture. Then, during mounting, one aligns the green dots, puts the extending tabs into corresponding slots on the aperture ring, and turns the adapter clockwise. To unlock, one presses the silver release lever, holds the lens firmly, and turns the adapter counterclockwise."
12-08-2018, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WHICH adaptall mount are you using? see here:

Tamron Adaptall Lenses for Pentax: Adaptall Adapters - Pentax Lens Review Database
12-08-2018, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2 Custom Mounts

12-08-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #8

I just came to thought, perhaps the fault is not in the adapter. Could it be the body's mount lens locking release mechanism that's broken. If you've been using m42's you've perhaps not noticed it's not releasing the lock until now with the locking adapter? Just occurred in my mind
12-08-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any chance there was an Adaptall K-mount for Ricoh with the "Ricoh pin"? if so that would act like the OP describes. IF so, search for "Ricoh pin" and you can find methods for getting the mount off.
12-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi again! So my explanation wasn't clear. So adapter jammed to camera mount. Lens is easy to remove, but adaptall adapter stuck in camera mount. Anyway I ordered adaptall 2 adapter and there wasn't any information in box. So I think only way is take Dremel and brake carefully that adapter.
Big thanks to all of you for answers!! If you still find some ideas, please tell me. I'm not in hurry because I can use my other cameras. Pentax is still best for to use older lenses, because infinity focusing is perfect. I have so many old m42 lenses.
12-09-2018, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #11

Pity, you're still in trouble.
I understood your problem.

There should not be anything to stuck the (original k-mount) adapter in body.

Last edited by Supakatti; 12-09-2018 at 11:20 PM.
12-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyty59 Quote
I bought cheap adaptall adapter and I tried it on my camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyty59 Quote
Hi again! So my explanation wasn't clear. So adapter jammed to camera mount. Lens is easy to remove, but adaptall adapter stuck in camera mount. Anyway I ordered adaptall 2 adapter and there wasn't any information in box. So I think only way is take Dremel and brake carefully that adapter.
Big thanks to all of you for answers!! If you still find some ideas, please tell me. I'm not in hurry because I can use my other cameras. Pentax is still best for to use older lenses, because infinity focusing is perfect. I have so many old m42 lenses.
Question...is your "cheap" adapter brand-X or Tamron-made? Do you have a link to the original listing that you used for purchase?

Steve
12-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Any chance there was an Adaptall K-mount for Ricoh with the "Ricoh pin"?
Yes, there is an Adaptall-2 for Ricoh-P mount. It is labeled on its face as "R 1" and has a readily identifiable Ricoh "pin". I have only seen one once in person and my memory is that the pin was of the type that easily becomes fouled in the AF drive well. Amazingly, B&H still sells them new.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/53490-USA/Tamron_C61300_Adaptall_Mount_for_Ricoh.html

Steve
12-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Question...is your "cheap" adapter brand-X or Tamron-made? Do you have a link to the original listing that you used for purchase?

Steve
Hi Steve! It's brand-X... And cheap, so I'm going to put it in to pieces by using some tools. I tried to fiddle it with some thin strips, bit didn't succeed. I think only way is to broke it.