Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

One easy thing that may help if you aren't already doing it is to bring a monopod or a tripod to allow the iOS to stay a little lower at the expense of a slower shutter speed. You will have to experiment to see what works.

12-16-2018, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #17
maj

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion to use a mono-pod, that may be something I will try whilst photographing the surfers, but most of the time I am looking for birds in flight.
I will attach a couple of photos so you can see why I would like to be able to get a little closesr. The photos aren't brilliant but they are ok for me.
Thanks again Margaret
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maj Quote
Thanks for your suggestion to use a mono-pod, that may be something I will try whilst photographing the surfers, but most of the time I am looking for birds in flight.
I will attach a couple of photos so you can see why I would like to be able to get a little closesr. The photos aren't brilliant but they are ok for me.
Thanks again Margaret
Those are great! With a monopod with a tilt and swivel head you *might* get shots like those but I doubt it. You have a good eye and the shots look good, the main "improvement" that you can likely make is additional reach. I'd just keep shooting what you have for now. All the options for more reach are heavier and more costly. If you decide some day you have to have that reach you can come back and ask our help spending your money LOL.
12-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Instead of a TC, rather put the money towards a used manual focus 400mm or 500mm. That will give you some useful extra reach on a budget. The SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6 and SMC Pentax 500mm f/4.5 are good examples. Alternatively, check out the Sigma 150-500mm if you want autofocus.

12-18-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
maj

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Those are great! With a monopod with a tilt and swivel head you *might* get shots like those but I doubt it. You have a good eye and the shots look good, the main "improvement" that you can likely make is additional reach. I'd just keep shooting what you have for now. All the options for more reach are heavier and more costly. If you decide some day you have to have that reach you can come back and ask our help spending your money LOL.
Thanks again for your help, I have settled on just keeping the lens I have and be happy with that reach. A bigger lens would be too heavy for me, but I will take my monopod out more often with me. Hope you have a great Christmas and once again thanks for your help

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Instead of a TC, rather put the money towards a used manual focus 400mm or 500mm. That will give you some useful extra reach on a budget. The SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6 and SMC Pentax 500mm f/4.5 are good examples. Alternatively, check out the Sigma 150-500mm if you want autofocus.
Thanks but bigger lens are just a bit too heavy for me
12-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again for your help, I have settled on just keeping the lens I have and be happy with that reach. A bigger lens would be too heavy for me, but I will take my monopod out more often with me. Hope you have a great Christmas and once again thanks for your help
Post some more shots when you have time! Enjoy.
12-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks but bigger lens are just a bit too heavy for me
You could try a 500mm or 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens. Plenty of those in the used market.

Cheap, small and light (about the same weight as your superzoom) but image quality is not great:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-500mm-f8-mirror-lens.html

More expensive, double the weight but IQ is said to be better:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-600mm-f8-mirror.html

Last edited by Wasp; 12-19-2018 at 02:24 PM.
12-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #23
chd
Forum Member

One minor correction, though probably won't change anything...

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The gold star solution is a DFA 150-450 - a very fine lens but as heavy as a Bigma and it costs in the region of $A3000, even when on sale.

This lens is currently going for around $1700 US, or A$2400 -- though that's still pricey, certainly.

-C
12-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chd Quote
This lens is currently going for around $1700 US, or A$2400 -- though that's still pricey, certainly.
Not in Australia, unfortunately. Pentax Au has it listed for $A3299 (Ricoh Imaging | Pentax D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 ED Lens) and DCXpert (an outlet of C R Kennedy, the official distributor, which is usually the cheapest supplier) has it now for $A3447.55 (PENTAX HD D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 DC AW ZOOM LENS - FULL FRAME | eBay) with a 5% ebay discount. (These prices include GST.) During the November sales, the price dropped to a bit below $A3000.

I see that B&H have it for $US1600. Add $US44 shipping and $US170 in taxes (incl 10% GST) brings it to $US1814. That's about $A2600 once you allow for international transfer fees. Still about $A400 cheaper than the recent sale price in Australia certainly. But there's no manufacturer's warranty. If there's a problem it would need to be shipped back to the US, at the purchaser's expense (probably the return shipping as well). Bit of a gamble I think.
12-20-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #25
chd
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Not in Australia, unfortunately. Pentax Au has it listed for $A3299 (Ricoh Imaging | Pentax D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 ED Lens) and DCXpert (an outlet of C R Kennedy, the official distributor, which is usually the cheapest supplier) has it now for $A3447.55 (PENTAX HD D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 DC AW ZOOM LENS - FULL FRAME | eBay) with a 5% ebay discount. (These prices include GST.) During the November sales, the price dropped to a bit below $A3000.

I see that B&H have it for $US1600. Add $US44 shipping and $US170 in taxes (incl 10% GST) brings it to $US1814. That's about $A2600 once you allow for international transfer fees. Still about $A400 cheaper than the recent sale price in Australia certainly. But there's no manufacturer's warranty. If there's a problem it would need to be shipped back to the US, at the purchaser's expense (probably the return shipping as well). Bit of a gamble I think.
I stand corrected... bummer.
12-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I stand corrected... bummer.
You can't always pick it. I got my KP in the sales for about $A850 - that is just over $US600. That's as good a price as I've seen anywhere. I've also picked up a number of lenses at prices equivalent to those in the US (even with GST payable). It seems to be with low-volume products like the 150-450 where there's a marked price differential. The retailers can have stock like that on the shelf for some time, and I guess that feeds into the price. The falling $A in the last few years makes it more difficult too.
12-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #27
maj

Original Poster
One minor correction, though probably won't change anything...

-C
Thanks but more than I want to pay for a lens
12-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks but more than I want to pay for a lens
And you have already said based on the choices available you'll stick to what you have. Makes sense. Not to continue fanning the flames of buying fever... did anyone suggest a smaller sensor camera? You can get bridge cameras or even the Q series with smaller densely packed sensors and use smaller telephoto lenses for wildlife with good results.

I personally think your shots are great as is. And while you might be able to get more reach with a bridge camera I'm not sure you want a dedicated camera just for this use.
12-21-2018, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #29
maj

Original Poster
I do actually have a Panasonic FZ1000 (bridge camera) which I have been happy with for a few years but it doesn't allow me do several things I wanted to. The F setting only goes up to 8 and the bulb setting only allows the shutter to be left open for 2 minutes. It does have a time lapse which works really well but I had wanted to do star trails and light trails. I have managed to snap some nice wildlife photos and a couple of star shots just from our back yard with this camera, see attachments

I have made a mistake buying the sigma lens and should have bought a prime 300mm lens then I could have added a tc should I want to, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The Panasonic has a 800mm intelegent zoom so I will be content with that.

Thanks again for you helpful suggestions
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ1000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ1000  Photo