Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

Manual to Automatic

New to the Forum. I just received the camera and only used my old K1000 lens on it. I changed the program for the manual lens. Now that I just receive a new 50 m lens, I cant remember what I did.
Do I have to reset everything back to initial setup , or does anyone know how to convert me back to using my auto lens so I can try it.

12-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What camera? What lenses are you talking about?
12-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What you probably did was set "Allow aperture setting other than A" on. This is set off by the factory (for no reason anyone has ever been able to find).

Without knowing what camera you have, its difficult to tell you exactly where in the menu this setting lives.

The good news is that you don't need to worry about it. The setting ALLOWS the use of manual aperture lenses. It doesn't REQUIRE it. Just mount you new 50mm automatic lens (which lens?) and fire away.

Most everyone here who ever uses manual lenses on their Pentax dslr enables that value and leaves it enabled.

Please come back and tell us what camera and what lenses you are using. It will make it a little easier to discuss.
12-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the lens aperture ring to A if one exists. Set the camera mode dial to Av or P or Sv etc depending on what auto mode you want.

12-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

links for owner manuals for many Pentax cameras can be found by going to " Cameras " above

click

go to " Pentax camera review " and click

find your specific camera, click on it and check the " user reviews " of the " in depth review "
12-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The OP's profile says K-5 II. I can't think of anything that would make an AF lens not work, except the switch on the front of the camera that says AF.S, C, MF. Put that on AF.S. If the lens is connected properly to the camera and the camera is awake, you should see an aperture on the top LCD, not F--. The same on the rear LCD and the status line in the viewfinder.
12-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What camera? What lenses are you talking about?
The Camera is an K5-II. The lens I was using is an old Pentax 200mm. I just received a new 50 mm