Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II Firmware Update Help for my K-1???

Hello,

I have recently got a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II... it seems like it's a really great lens...

However, sadly when trying to use the lens on my K-1... it causes my K-1 to simply lock up, and become unresponsive. I believe that it might need a firmware update in order for it to work. I contacted Sigma USA (in NY), and they informed me that they no longer perform firmware updates for Pentax cameras and that there is nothing that they can do. Contacting all of the affiliated repair places (in America anyways) have said that they can perform it, but Sigma has directed them specifically not to do so.

Anyone know of a possible fix for this problem??? It seems like a great lens, and I just want to be able to use it on my K-1.
Any helpful options are appreciated!
Thanks,

12-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Older Sigma 70-200 models (non HSM) do work. The only solution for that model is to update the firmware as you mention.
12-18-2018, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't get it done in NY, I recently had it done by Gentec International in Canada for my former Sigma 70-200 HSM II. While you're at it, you can have them swap your lens mount so it doesn't scratch your K1.
12-18-2018, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The next time someone points to sigma as a model of customer support... I'm going to link this thread.

12-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
I contacted Sigma USA (in NY), and they informed me that they no longer perform firmware updates for Pentax cameras and that there is nothing that they can do. Contacting all of the affiliated repair places (in America anyways) have said that they can perform it, but Sigma has directed them specifically not to do so.
Wow. Not even for money they won't anymore?
12-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is really disappointing. I have this lens and wanted to use it someday whan I upgrade to a K1 or K1ii. With their total disregard for Pentax I don't know why any Pentax owner would ever consider buying one of their lenses in the future.
12-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is now not only a disregard for Pentax, but also for the customer who bought their lens! And why would they care if an independent facility performs the job? Perhaps because of the scratch problem- and they just don't want it to come around anymore? This is very disappointing.

12-18-2018, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Older Sigma 70-200 models (non HSM) do work. The only solution for that model is to update the firmware as you mention.
Just to share information which model works, I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG APO OS HSM. This model is HSM and it works with the K1 II.
12-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #9

Sigma has directed their independent techs NOT to perform the fix? Why the hostility toward Pentax? I can understand if this was when Hoya had the name, but that was years ago. I have a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 which has been working great on my K-1. But I'll have to keep this in mind if I were to consider the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom. Right now I have the Tamron and that's been working out very well.
12-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
Just to share information which model works, I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG APO OS HSM. This model is HSM and it works with the K1 II.
Probably re-chipped?
12-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Probably re-chipped?
No. I am the original owner. The only thing done to the lens is the mount correction by Sigma to avoid the scratch to the K1. Please notice that the lens I have it does not contain the word MACRO in the name description and it reads HSM. Instead of HSM II. Therefore, it is a different version.
12-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to know. My understanding was that none of the HSM versions worked unless updated
12-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to Update...

I called the Gentec International people that K6-III suggested in Canada... and they seemed perfectly fine with doing the firmware, even going so far as to offer the potential change of mount, for he 'scratch' defect (that I haven't really experienced on the K-1 so far). He said how easy of a fix it should be (much like many of the other affiliates in USA, prior to looking at the service and seeing that SIGMA had a 'hold' on that service). It all changed however, once I mentioned that I lived in Boston, MA. He said that I would need to speak with SIGMA USA (He said it was because of the complexity and problematic exchange with USA-Canada trade rates/exchanges). After telling him what I experience with SIGMA-USA and the different affiliates. He said that he didn't have any clue why Sigma would have that stance and that it was news to him. He said he would get to the bottom of this, and that he would get to back to me once he got an explanation.

So we'll see. I almost wonder, if I would have a location in Canada for him to send, could I send the lens, and then potentially have someone on the PForum in Canada to send it to... who can then send it to me. He seemed nice and very knowledgeable about the mechanism for the process.
12-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can probably help you out with this in the new year if you want to work with Gentec to get the mount and firmware updated. Send me a PM if you're interested.
05-20-2019, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thought I would update for those curious... the people at Gentec were a big help and one of the most helpful customer service anything that I've ever been in contact with. Not only did they continually call me back, but they also worked with the SIGMA-USA people to get my lens serviced. Just a note for future users... they do seem to have a shortage of parts in the US (Gentec seemed to have supply on-hand, but Sigma said that they were declining to service because they are running out and it is the only way to make sure that they have parts... sounds like BS or at best faulty logic). Just saying that you might need an affiliated company for the work around. This service is free, and they'll even change out the mount for the scratch-less one (though I didn't notice a difference)

I mentioned the lens itself being a bit weird in terms of focusing. Apparently the HSM needed replacing, which ended up being an extra $150 or so... so definitely not in working order as seller claimed. Been using it for the pST 3-months or so, and its just as good as the Tam that it replaced, if not better. It's snappy, and super silent... in a scary way. I also like the interface far better than the weird MF/AF clutch on Tam.