Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Neeton Quote
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help.

I am really torn between Pentax k-70 and Canon 200D as the canon kit lenses are really good. (Can get Canon 200D with 18-55mm and full frame 50mm prime for £519)

Kit Lens vs Pro Lens - is it worth the extra money? - YouTube

However the k-70 is a better body for photos and will will need to invest a lot into lenses initially.
Yes, Canon EF lenses are really good, which is why I was a Canon user 1995-2015.

Pentax bodies are really really good, especially at making higher ISO values more useful, which is why I purchased a KP last month.

Attached Images

12-27-2018, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for K-70 and 18-135.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-27-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went through the same decision process. I eventually acquired both the 16-85 and the 18-135. The comparisons made here are accurate but in my day to day use I find the extra 50mm at the long end worth more on my K70 than the extra 2mm of width at the wide angle end of things. Both are remarkably capable of producing sharp, usable photos. My 16-85 is now for sale and I'll keep the 18-135. I also have the the 55-300 PLM and with the 18-135 I find most of my unexpected "photos of opportunity" while out and about are pretty much covered.
12-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #34

I have the 18 -135 (with a K-3 mk2) but yearned for something wider, for landscapes and city scapes. Finally caught one of the lens sales at Kennedy’s in Sydney and purchased my dream - 12-24mm. It’s beautiful. The images, if kept level, are very free of distortion and the lens gives epic results.

12-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #35
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SnapperCom Quote
I have the 18 -135 (with a K-3 mk2) but yearned for something wider, for landscapes and city scapes. Finally caught one of the lens sales at Kennedy’s in Sydney and purchased my dream - 12-24mm. It’s beautiful. The images, if kept level, are very free of distortion and the lens gives epic results.
Welcome to PF. I've also got the DA 12-24 and it does give epic results as you say. Hope you'll share some images with us.
You have convinced me, even though I know you are all biased lol. Jessops are doing he 35mm prime for £95 anygood or should I pay the extra and get the 50mm for 129? Want it for family pics
I agree with Mike that with an APS-C camera like the K-70, 35mm is probably more versatile. The DA 35 f2.4 is known as the "plastic fantastic" - it's very sharp indeed. Note that it doesn't come with a lens hood - it would be wise to get an aftermarket one (49mm screw-in or clip on).

Last edited by Des; 12-31-2018 at 08:49 PM.
01-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #36

Original Poster
Thanks everyone and went for the k70 with 18-135mm lens. Should be with me in a week. Jessops said to allow up to 10 days but were the cheapest by £200.
01-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! I know you will favorably impressed. Sounds like you got a good deal. In any case, it could not be duplicated by any other brand for what you have selected. Not even close.

Please make a note, not to forget to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus right off, which will provide optimum fine detail in your images. Why should you need to do this? Because the camera by default is set up at conservative settings, as these conservative settings are preferable for certain types of photography, such as more flattering portraiture for certain subjects. Then all you need do is switch to different Custom Image category for that purpose, where your adjustment has not been made.

The camera might come already set with the mode dial set on the "green" auto mode. This is not to be used except for a novice friend temporarily using the camera to take a shot or two. it disallows many options and disables many controls. For fully automatic exposure control by the camera, which is fine for starting out, set the mode dial to "P" (Program). The camera will keep you informed as to what it is doing at all times, and you will have the capability to override its decisions. Highest quality JPEG images will yield excellent results with this camera- you will get full resolution. It will take a while to familiarize yourself with the camera's operational aspects and features. You will have the ability to exercise whatever control you find necessary in dealing with various circumstances, and will learn how and when to do so. We are here for any questions.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-07-2019 at 12:06 PM.
01-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #38
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone and went for the k70 with 18-135mm lens. Should be with me in a week. Jessops said to allow up to 10 days but were the cheapest by £200.
Congratulations Dan. You got a very good deal. Enjoy the camera and lens when they arrive. Be sure to post some images.
01-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congratulations! I know you will favorably impressed. Sounds like you got a good deal. In any case, it could not be duplicated by any other brand for what you have selected. Not even close.

Please make a note, not to forget to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus right off, which will provide optimum fine detail in your images. Why should you need to do this? Because the camera by default is set up at conservative settings, as these conservative settings are preferable for certain types of photography, such as more flattering portraiture for certain subjects. Then all you need do is switch to different Custom Image category for that purpose, where your adjustment has not been made.

The camera might come already set with the mode dial set on the "green" auto mode. This is not to be used except for a novice friend temporarily using the camera to take a shot or two. it disallows many options and disables many controls. For fully automatic exposure control by the camera, which is fine for starting out, set the mode dial to "P" (Program). The camera will keep you informed as to what it is doing at all times, and you will have the capability to override its decisions. Highest quality JPEG images will yield excellent results with this camera- you will get full resolution. It will take a while to familiarize yourself with the camera's operational aspects and features. You will have the ability to exercise whatever control you find necessary in dealing with various circumstances, and will learn how and when to do so. We are here for any questions.
tried to look for this setting and cant find it. just set to max 3 stars.
01-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh- you already got it, your K-70 outfit! Max 3-stars is the same as maximum or highest quality JPEG. I have not seen the K-70 handbook, but these days only a "get started" overview book may be all that comes with the camera. So you'd be best off to download the full manual.

As to the "green" auto mode, this pertains to the mode dial on top, which selects the camera's mode of operation for regulating exposure parameters. It probably comes set on green auto, which makes the camera like a point-and-shoot, omitting any other controls or settings. With "P" (Program) selected with this dial instead, you still get fully automated exposure operation by the camera as to light metering, aperture and shutter speed selection, but you also have full access to all controls and settings. Unique with Pentax is the Pentax Hyper System, which (but not in green auto mode) allows you to override the camera's selection of either aperture or shutter speed simply by using your thumb and finger e-dials. When you alter one, the camera will automatically change the other to preserve your exposure value. The other options on your mode dial we can go into later as you go along.

Next step, go into the Custom Image menus, as I explain in your other thread regarding the FA 28-105mm lens. Once we dealt with the lens issue, this discussion came up. Get "Fine Sharpening" set at least in the "Bright" Custom Image category. "Fine Sharpening" as the name suggests, will definitely provide excellent fine detail in your images, in subjects that are sharply in focus.

See my post #22 in that thread.

At this point, all might seem a bit daunting and somewhat confusing, but it won't be so for long. You just need some familiarization with controls, etc to get set up and get started. If you have any trouble in doing this, just get back here with this or any other matter. Be glad to be of help.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
01-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
As to the "green" auto mode, this pertains to the mode dial on top, which selects the camera's mode of operation for regulating exposure parameters. It probably comes set on green auto, which makes the camera like a point-and-shoot, omitting any other controls or settings. With "P" (Program) selected with this dial instead, you still get fully automated exposure operation by the camera as to light metering, aperture and shutter speed selection, but you also have full access to all controls and settings.
What you say is quite right, of course. P mode is very useful for its hyper-program function.

But just as an aside, I did a comparison once between green mode and P mode on the K-3, to work out which to use when I handed my camera to someone else. Of course they both exposed the same, but I was surprised how different the settings they chose were. I found that Green mode consistently chose better settings (e.g. a shutter speed that was more suitable for the focal length), especially for a novice. It's possible that it was because of the PLine settings (e.g. MTF priority that might go for a certain aperture even at the price of a lower-then-ideal shutter speed), but from memory I hadn't changed the PLine from the default at that stage. Anyway, it seemed to me that Green mode is smarter than we tend to assume.
01-12-2019, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
What you say is quite right, of course. P mode is very useful for its hyper-program function.

But just as an aside, I did a comparison once between green mode and P mode on the K-3, to work out which to use when I handed my camera to someone else. Of course they both exposed the same, but I was surprised how different the settings they chose were. I found that Green mode consistently chose better settings (e.g. a shutter speed that was more suitable for the focal length), especially for a novice. It's possible that it was because of the PLine settings (e.g. MTF priority that might go for a certain aperture even at the price of a lower-then-ideal shutter speed), but from memory I hadn't changed the PLine from the default at that stage. Anyway, it seemed to me that Green mode is smarter than we tend to assume.
That I have never tested, and this may also depend on which lens is in use. And yes, the green auto mode is just the thing for handing the camera to a novice friend who might accidentally touch a control and throw things off otherwise. As you say, this mode might be extra-conservative or maybe is less affected by the presence of alternate PL lines, since these are no longer options.

But for actual use, I often employ the "P" mode without complaint as to its performance. Fine for quick shots under constantly-changing lighting. As always, keeping an eye on what the camera is doing. Any substantial failing I've dealt with in P mode have been understandable in view of the conditions present, and easily compensated. And the trade-off of the green auto mode prohibiting any control by the photographer, pretty well dumps the learning experience, as well as dumping the custom settings for best image quality.
02-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #43

I'm shopping for the same camera. I started out with a K-x (which I loved) and converted to Nikon (which I didn't love). I've sold off my gear and think the K-70 is my best bet. Because of the versatility and the higher quality that so many have reference in this thread I've settled on the 18-135. I had an 18-140mm on my D5300 and found that I rarely took it off unless it was to use a prime in a low light situation. I'd love to hear what you think of the K-70 if you end up with one in your hands before I do!