Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is the photo I was trying to insert and here is the link to the owner Google Image Result for https://picturecorrect-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/macro-insect-photography-10.jpg

Is it possible to do something like this with a 100 mm with 1:1 magnicifaton?

Attached Images

12-22-2018, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you have more help. I hope you aren't too intimidated and get lost in the tangle of help we have here. Every macro shooter has their own opinion of what is and what isn't right. Take your time to digest what you've so far been told, then take your camera and lens out and do a few shots. Then come back and ask a few more questions. If you

spend your time in here, always asking questions, how are you going to know if your lens you have will actually do, 1:1 bare on?

Things like that, are mostly stacked images, that's what Pascal does, the guy Brian mentioned above, Doundounba
12-22-2018, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might want to try adding a reversed lens on top. @Thagomizer uses this to great effect often.
Above 1:1 is challenging getting dof and light. Focus stacking really helps past 1:1 but with today's megapixels cropping works fine.
12-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Focal length becomes 140mm. The minimum focal distance remains the same at 30cm, but here you'll have 1.4x magnification. I've used the tamron 1.4x convertor with my dfa100mm, it works well. It's a more modest increase in the magnification, but you don't get the working distance hit like with the raynox.
Thanks a lot Brian.

So both a 1.4 teleconverter and the Raynox will give good quality photos and higher than 1:1 magnicifaton? 😊

---------- Post added 12-22-18 at 06:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
You might want to try adding a reversed lens on top. @Thagomizer uses this to great effect often.
Above 1:1 is challenging getting dof and light. Focus stacking really helps past 1:1 but with today's megapixels cropping works fine.
Thank you very much 😊

Is that as an alternative to teleconverter and the raynox thing?

Question: what is a reverse lens? It can be added on top of the 100 mm macro? What about costs and image quality?

12-22-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #20

The Raynox lenses will probably have the least impact on image quality. There are other close up lens "filters" from the manual focus era that are very good too - look for the "big" names like Vivitar. I think Asahi Pentax had a set too.

Another possibility is to use a reverse ring coupler and stack a reversed prime lens on the front of the 100mm. Rule of thumb is to divide the focal lengths to get the magnification. Thus a 50mm stacked with 100mm = 2× and a 25mm = 4×. Image quality can be quite good, somewhat dependent on the quality of the reversed lens obviously
12-22-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm going to let the rest of these guys explain what they're talking about, so, I've got you started, you should have plenty of help to get you confused. LOL Hope you get your answers and can go out and test some shots soon. I'd love to see what you come up with.
12-22-2018, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
Possibly with some cropping, it depends on the size of the Robber Fly. IIRC, Thomas Shahan works with the relatively inexpensive path of reversing prime lenses on each other or tubes. Film era 28mm or 50mm primes are relatively inexpensive. I've used an A28/2.8 reversed on my dfa100 (up to 3x mag) and also reversed on a bellows. A disadvantage for field work, is if you want to stop down the reversed lens, you have to do it manually (like physically move the aperture lever with your finger), but obviously it can be done! The Raynox maintains all the auto controls you'd like (except auto focus), and the camera is still able to work the aperture lever for you.

12-22-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here is the photo I was trying to insert and here is the link to the owner Google Image Result for https://picturecorrect-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/macro-insect-photography-10.jpg

I think the answer is yes, but good macro shots often require the use of focus stacking, which is the key challenge. Through accessories such as tubes and bellows, the lens itself doesn't matter nearly as much.

Extreme Macro: "Boy and Girl" - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

One concern with the 100mm WR macro is that it lacks an aperture ring, so you'd ideally want to find a set of (third-party, because Pentax never made any) A-type tubes or a de-glassed A-type teleconverter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2018, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One concern with the 100mm WR macro is that it lacks an aperture ring,
And the very reason I stayed with manual focus lenses for macro.
12-22-2018, 07:03 AM - 6 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

So both a 1.4 teleconverter and the Raynox will give good quality photos and higher than 1:1 magnicifaton? 😊
I'm happy with mine. By all accounts, the Pentax 1.4x teleconverter is better quality than my tamron (and has other bells and whistles, like WR) so should be a safe way to go, but it is more costly.

Question: what is a reverse lens? It can be added on top of the 100 mm macro? What about costs and image quality?
More on reversing lenses: Coupling lenses for extreme macro. Quality can vary greatly depending on the specific combos. Reversing rings are inexpensive, so if you have a few other lenses to play with, it's an easy thing to try. The lens you reverse should have an aperture ring so you can manually control it.

As mentioned above, lighting at higher magnifications gets tricky, as does depth of field. Learning how to focus stack starts to be vital. I'd make sure you've got your macro lens pretty well mastered before spending too much cash on higher magnification stuff. There are some pretty large insects out there you can concentrate on

12-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Raynox lenses will probably have the least impact on image quality. There are other close up lens "filters" from the manual focus era that are very good too - look for the "big" names like Vivitar. I think Asahi Pentax had a set too.

Another possibility is to use a reverse ring coupler and stack a reversed prime lens on the front of the 100mm. Rule of thumb is to divide the focal lengths to get the magnification. Thus a 50mm stacked with 100mm = 2× and a 25mm = 4×. Image quality can be quite good, somewhat dependent on the quality of the reversed lens obviously
Thank you very much! It would be awesome to have one of my vintage lens gems on the front of my 100 mm 😍

---------- Post added 12-22-18 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Possibly with some cropping, it depends on the size of the Robber Fly. IIRC, Thomas Shahan works with the relatively inexpensive path of reversing prime lenses on each other or tubes. Film era 28mm or 50mm primes are relatively inexpensive. I've used an A28/2.8 reversed on my dfa100 (up to 3x mag) and also reversed on a bellows. A disadvantage for field work, is if you want to stop down the reversed lens, you have to do it manually (like physically move the aperture lever with your finger), but obviously it can be done! The Raynox maintains all the auto controls you'd like (except auto focus), and the camera is still able to work the aperture lever for you.
That sounds awesome and I love my old prime lenses. Do you need an adapter to use reverse lenses in front?
12-22-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

This thread showcases macro solutions. Macro by any means necessary club - Page 33 - PentaxForums.com
12-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I see you you say a reversed ring coupler, Do you by any chance have a link or closed description of this device?
12-22-2018, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You need a reverse lens mount coupler, it looks sort of like a step up ring but there are threads on both sides, one for the thread for the filter size of the 100mm and one for the filter size of the lens you wish to attach. You have to match it to the filter size of each lens. I bought one, but then never used it. It still resides in my gadget bag for one day when I get the urge to do so.

One thing I never liked about some extreme macro, some people bring the insects inside, put them under a cup with high powered lighting or pin them down. I don't believe in killing insects to get my macro shots. Even the thought of it, turns my stomach and mind against people who do this kind of photography.

There are easy ways to get extreme macro in the field. Just get up early in the morning, before the dew dries, when they're still too cold to move.
12-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry I'm answering in the wrong order here, a little confused by the forum. I can't like your posts on computer too. But I greatly appreciate all the tips and the different things you guys prefer.

One thing I love about Pentax is the ability to use old, inexpensive lenses with great glass So the solution of stacking lenses sounds intriguing.

Here is an example of how I've used my Pentax 100 mm macro wr so far. Lovely, sharp lens.