Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #31

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
Sorry I'm answering in the wrong order here, a little confused by the forum. I can't like your posts on computer too. But I greatly appreciate all the tips and the different things you guys prefer.
You can like a post by clicking on the "thumbs up" icon in the bottom left corner of the post

12-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You need a reverse lens mount ring. You have to match it to the filter size of each lens. I bought one, but then never used it. It still resides in my gadget bag for one day when I get the urge to do so.

One thing I never liked about some extreme macro, some people bring the insects inside, put them under a cup with high powered lighting or pin them down. I don't believe in killing insects to get my macro shots. Even the though of it, turns my stomach and mind against people who do this kind of photography.

There are easy ways to get extreme macro in the field. Just get up early in the morning, before the dew dries, when they're still too cold to move.
I definetely agree! That would ruin what I'm trying to do, namely to communicate the beauty of insects.
12-22-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is what one looks like:

FotodioX 49mm Reverse Mount Macro Adapter REVERSE-MOUNT-49MM-PK

But you have to match it to what ever lens you would attach to the end of your 100mm. I think if you use a 1.4x TC it would be your best bet.
12-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
So the filter size of the 100 mm is 49 mm. I have several vintage Pentax 50 mm'ers. But I would like to try the 50 mm f 1.2 reversed. I think the filter size there is 49 too.

So would 49mm to 49mm Male Photo Lens Reverse Adapter Macro Coupler Adaptor Ring 6950291597496 | eBay this work?

What magnification would I then get?

12-22-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine (Amy Horn - teaches photography at the local university) just published a book on macro: Books - Amy Horn

The other author (Bruce Taubert) is into pictures of bugs, including eye close-ups. I have discussed their techniques with them, and they love the Raynox lenses, and the best results require focus stacking.

I have combined my 100 macro with a 2X teleconverter and and extension tube and can get a less than 1 cm wide field of view with my K-1. Depth of field was a millimeter or two. I was practicing for the local museum - they want photos of animal "bones" ranging in size from grain-of-sand size ancient shark teeth to 8-foot dinosaur shoulder plates.
12-22-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I definetely agree! That would ruin what I'm trying to do, namely to communicate the beauty of insects.
Great! Someone who cares about nature like I do. Ya! And thank you!
12-22-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll just aim you at these photos of dead insects and you can decide if it they effectively communicate their beauty Microsculpture - The Insect Portraits of Levon Biss

12-22-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That does not make it right, Brian.
12-22-2018, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'll just aim you at these photos of dead insects and you can decide if it they effectively communicate their beauty Microsculpture - The Insect Portraits of Levon Biss
Haha, those are nice. But you know what I mean. I prefer live insects and animals to dead ones
12-22-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Haha, those are nice. But you know what I mean. I prefer live insects and animals to dead ones
Hah! Yes, I wasn't interested in an argument about live vs dead insects, but I did think it was a great example of using extreme macro to show off the beauty of insects and projects like this one go a long way to fostering an appreciation of otherwise unseen insects with the general public.

Ps. the butterfly example I posted earlier was raised from an egg by me, and photographed just after it had eclosed to a fresh adult (and was then released). This is a great way to get immaculate and patient subjects (they sit pretty still for a few hours before taking flight).
12-22-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Another technique often used is to reverse mount a wide angle lens onto the front of the macro.

Example in this article: Reverse Lens Macro: Close Up Photography Lesson #3 -

Edit* useless post I posted after only seeing the first page.

Apologies
12-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can delete if you want? BTW, reading the whole thread, you might learn a few things more about what's been offered. LOL
12-22-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
It was a good example, Brian!

Kozlok: no need to apologize. Thank you for sharing.

Update: I've ordered a 49 mm to 49 mm reverse adapter (is that the right name?) off eBay. Considering the low price paired with the opportuinity to use lenses I already have ( such as the 50 mm vintage lenses), this seems to be the sensible point of start Can't wait to try!

Thanks to everyone.

If there are other inputs, keep on posting. It's an interesting thread!
12-22-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't give up on extension tubes with that lens. I have a set branded as Jessops that have the contacts to communicate/control aperture with the DFA 100 WR that you have. I picked them up off eBay.
12-22-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think they should explain which lens should be on your camera and which lens should be on the front. Your 100mm doesn't have an aperture ring so you can't set it wide open like vintage 50mm lens. It's always wide open til you hit the shutter button.