Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Don't give up on extension tubes with that lens. I have a set branded as Jessops that have the contacts to communicate/control aperture with the DFA 100 WR that you have. I picked them up off eBay.
Sweet! What price are walking about?

---------- Post added 12-22-18 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I think they should explain which lens should be on your camera and which lens should be on the front. Your 100mm doesn't have an aperture ring so you can't set it wide open like vintage 50mm lens. It's always wide open til you hit the shutter button.
I assumed the 100 mm would stay closest to the camera so I could set aperture on the camery body and use manual aperture on the outer 50 mm lens?

12-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is interesting. Red light is 700 nanometers wide. At 2:1 a 23.5mm apsc sensor that is 24mp has 6016 pixels which must each represent .oo19mm or about 2.7 red waves across.
12-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your 100mm doesn't have an aperture ring so you can't set it wide open like vintage 50mm lens. It's always wide open til you hit the shutter button.
I'm confused. Do you mean the DFA 100/2.8 WR with the Jessops tubes with electrical contacts? I loose the screwdrive autofocus, but the aperture control is the same as if the DFA 100 was mounted directly - I can do a preview of whatever stopped down aperture with my K3II by rotating the on/off ring around the shutter release to the stop down preview position. What am I missing, or are we talking about different things?
12-22-2018, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
Sweet! What price are walking about?
They were right about $50. it took a few months of watching, but a set finally showed up.

12-22-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
They were right about $50. it took a few months of watching, but a set finally showed up.
Sweet 👌😊
12-22-2018, 03:38 PM - 4 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

There are two different ways of reversing a lens, both of which have been mentioned in this thread. Each one requires a different bit of hardware to do it. One way is to reverse a lens onto a camera body or extension tubes. This requires a reverse adapter that has on one side, the male mount for whatever camera system you're shooting. The othe side of this adapter has a male filter thread matching, or adapted to fit, the filter diameter of the lens you're reversing. Focal lengths of 50mm or less are what you're looking for. Primes work nicely (and for 50s f1.7, 1.8 and 2 are reported to be better because of flatter fields than the faster f1.4s and 1.2s). I've actually had good results from reversed kit zoom lens too, which offer variable magnification by zooming, with higher power being achieved with shorter focal lengths.

The other technique involes reversing a shorter focal length lens onto a longer lens already on the camera body, like a 50 reversed on a 100mm lens, which would yield 2x magnification (100mm divided by 50mm = 2, if you want to see the math). The adapter ring used for lens coupling like this has male threads at each end of the appropriate filter diameters for the two lenses being coupled. I've made my own coupling rings using combinations of stepping rings epoxied together.

And while I'm at it here, I'll post a couple of my favourite links that are great resources for macro techniques and ideas.

From right here on the Forums CHEAP MACRO -- Buying or exploiting a lens for ultraclose work - PentaxForums.com

Extreme Macro Photography

More specifically about the use of Raynox lenses (which I have not yet added to my tool kit, but are on the list) which many Forum members have used with excellent results: The Raynox Macro club - PentaxForums.com
12-22-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon 500D and 250D as well as the Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T and 6T are also excellent to pair with a good macro lens - the specific one selected will depend on focal length and desired outcome in magnification. (Note these are just two diopter values and two different filter sizes (3t/4t = 52mm, 5t, 6t = 62mm) (3t, 5t = 1.5 diopters, 4t/6t = 2.9 diopters.)

12-22-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PF member Nass runs an extreme macro site, lots of good information regarding shooting bugs.

Extreme Macro Photography
12-22-2018, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

I can thoroughly recommend this gear

Pentax T9-2X Pentax SMC close-up lens reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

And I disagree strongly with the most recent review. Fringing is not a problem if you focus correctly AND get your f stop right.

12-23-2018, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
@Doundounba is a master of this combo, check out his flickr stream Pascal Gaudette | Flickr
Things like that, are mostly stacked images, that's what Pascal does, the guy Brian mentioned above, Doundounba
Thanks for the shout-outs, friends!

There's already been much good advice upthread, so there's not much to add. Just a couple of points/opinions for the OP then:
  • For the record, Thomas Shahan, whose photo you posted earlier on this thread as an example of the direction you want to go in, is a Pentax shooter. Look him up on Flickr, and on Youtube where he has a few great vids on technique and, for lack of a better term, the "vibe" of his approach to macro. He's an amazing photog, and an inspiration to many, including myself! He also occasionally teaches workshops.
  • If you're going to shoot a coupled reverse lens combo, there's not that much point in using a macro lens as the primary. And close the secondary rather than the primary. (Yes, this will likely make for a very dark viewfinder.)
  • Arthropods vary in size quite amazingly. Whole-body shots of large dragonflies require less than 1:3 magnification and are totally achievable with a moderately close-focus-capable lens. Many others are way too small for a 1:1 lens, even with cropping. (Unless you're happy posting a 2MP image at Web resolution.) So showing the beauty of arthropods is a vast program. But take heart, you are not alone.
  • This may be obvious, but don't expect to get the same shots as someone else just because you're shooting the same lens/body(/flash) combo.
  • Experiment, experiment, experiment! Shoot a lot, and don't be afraid to break whatever rules someone else told you about. In macro, there's usually more than one way to do it - whatever the "it" you're chasing is...
  • As others have mentioned, I do love the Raynox DCR250. I've shot it on a D-FA 100mm (WR and non-WR versions, with and without the HD DA 1.4X tele-converter), a Tamron 90mm (272E), a Vivitar 105mm F/2.5, and various Tamron Adaptall combos (notably the 52BB with 01F and the 01A plus 01F), and I've basically never been disappointed. IMHO, if you want to shoot in the ~0.8:1 to 2:1 range, it's certainly the easiest and possibly also the best option when coupled with a 100mm-ish 1:1 macro lens. A link to my photo stream was posted by BrianR, but if you want just the shots using a DCR-250, they're over here.
  • This above all else, to thine own self be true, err, I mean, have fun!

Last edited by Doundounba; 12-24-2018 at 06:32 AM. Reason: typo
12-23-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You also might want to check out Murray O'Neill's Pentax Bellows eBook. Even more useful information.

The Pentax Bellows eBook - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
12-23-2018, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good thread.

FYI, the K50/1.2 has a 52mm filter thread, so the 49/49 reversing ring won't help....
12-24-2018, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys for all your good suggestions. I'll use the 50 mm f.17 instead of the 1.2. Maybe the 1.2 is too shallow anyway.

So regarding the reversed lens setup: I cant use the 100 mm wr closest to the camera house, put on a reverse coupler and stack the 50 mm f 1.7 on the outside?

I also bought the Raynox since it seems more competent people than me have found it useful The pricing was quite good to at around $66
12-24-2018, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
o regarding the reversed lens setup: I cant use the 100 mm wr closest to the camera house, put on a reverse coupler and stack the 50 mm f 1.7 on the outside?
Sure you can. It's called lens coupling. Nass's Extreme Macro site has a page on that exact subject, complete with a Stacked Lens Magnification Calculator.

Coupling lenses for extreme macro

Also, WPRESTO turned me on to this site for adapter rings, which will be something you'll be needing. They have pretty much everything you can think of, and possibly a few things you can't, ha! Great resource though

AdapterRings.com - Offical Site. The world's largest seller of Camera Adapter Rings.
12-24-2018, 04:40 AM   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sweet, thanks David. I just got confused by Photolady's question about which lens goes first / closes to the camera body