Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR: increase magnification

Hi!

Fairly new in Pentax and photography.

I guess I didn't read up enough before I got the 100 mm macro f.2.8 WR, which by all means is a great lens but "only" offer 1:1 magnification. I find it hard to get good photos of drops and or insects.

If I want to increase magnification, what is the best way to do so? My primary concern is image quality.

What I've gathered so far from reading online is that tubes don't really correspond well with this lens due to it having no aperture ring (Ouch, should not have sold my older pentax 100 mm f.4 macro )

I also read recommendations from forums to use Raynox magnification. But I'm not impressed by those examples I've seen by using this.

Is teleconverter the way to go? Or are there other recommendations?

Thank you very much for any help and recommendation

12-22-2018, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When using the lens, are you using Auto focus? or are you manual focusing? In Macro photography manual focusing works best, IMO. Might be why you're not getting the magnification you're looking for. Let me add this. In macro photography, set your camera on M mode, your switch (you don't say which camera) on MF, and move in and out until focus is achieved, slowly pressed the shutter button. Unfortunately, since this in an Autofocus lens, you can't use what I use with my fully manual lenses, and that is CIF (catch in focus) which helps a lot in macro work.

Btw, I use Raynox adapters, but you have to pair them with the right focal length. The DCR-250 would be the one for the 100mm lens you have where the DCR-150 would be for longer lenses.
Must not have been very good examples you saw because I love using these adapters: a photo of mine taken with one of these adapters:

Last edited by photolady95; 12-22-2018 at 05:49 AM.
12-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
When using the lens, are you using Auto focus? or are you manual focusing? In Macro photography manual focusing works best, IMO. Might be why you're not getting the magnification you're looking for.

Btw, I use Raynox adapters, but you have to pair them with the right focal length. The DCR-250 would be the one for the 100mm lens you have where the DCR-150 would be for longer lenses.
Thank you 😊

I'm using both. Depending on the situation. But the magnification won't variate with using auto or manual focus will it?

Yes I've looked at the dcr 250, but the images from bh video doesn't seem very sharp. But It has a good rating there so maybe this is the way to go?
12-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
When using the lens, are you using Auto focus? or are you manual focusing? In Macro photography manual focusing works best, IMO. Might be why you're not getting the magnification you're looking for. Let me add this. In macro photography, set your camera on M mode, your switch (you don't say which camera) on MF, and move in and out until focus is achieved, slowly pressed the shutter button. Unfortunately, since this in an Autofocus lens, you can't use what I use with my fully manual lenses, and that is CIF (catch in focus) which helps a lot in macro work.

Must not have been very good examples you saw because I love using these adapters: a photo of mine taken with one of these adapters:
Nice shot 😊👍 sharp and with a nice green bokeh

12-22-2018, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
Depending on the situation. But the magnification won't variate with using auto or manual focus will it?
Yes, it will. It changes the view when shooting in autofocus. With manual focus, you set the lens to close focus, the other end from Infinity, but with AF it moves that away from close focus, and you no longer get the close focus but some where in between. In other words, turn the focusing dial to close focus, away from the little sideways figure 8, all the way around to the end. Did that make sense? I hope you understand what I just said.

Nice shot ���� sharp and with a nice green bokeh
Thanks. But you should be able to achieve great macro shots with your macro lens without having to resort to adapters of any kind.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-22-2018 at 06:03 AM.
12-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ah ok, I understand.

Yes but I'm not worried about not getting great macro shots. But I want to have larger magnification 😄 and different macro shots, if that makes any sense hehe, 😊🤔
12-22-2018, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It also depends on what you're interested in photographing too. I do bugs, and flowers mostly. We have a few thematic threads that cover that territory, I'll leave you with a couple of links for you look through. Most are clickable. I mean you can click on them and see what setting the person who took them used, you'll get an idea that way of what you should do.

The Macro Flower club

Tiny flowers

Insects

Those should keep you busy for awhile. And I hope it helps. We're better than what you saw on B&H's video though.
12-22-2018, 06:16 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was shot with my Tamron 90mm adaptall 2, 1:1 macro manual lens: The center of a spiderwort flower that is a small flower in itself.

12-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks 😊 it's insects. My 1:1 magnicifaton is good enough for flowers and similar, but not for insects In my opinion.
12-22-2018, 06:24 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used my dfa100 with my HD DA 1.4x for. 1:1 - the results are sharp.
12-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've used my dfa100 with my HD DA 1.4x for. 1:1 - the results are sharp.
Nice! I've never used a teleconverter. Will the focal length be 140 mm and the magnification remain at 1:1 or will it go up to 1:1.4? Which is 40 % magnification? Or am I wrong?
12-22-2018, 06:39 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another of mine, when I had a Sigma 105mm macro lens. Only 5mm more than your 100mm. So it can be done, you just have to perfect your technique.

Listen to Uncle, he knows what he's talking about most of the time. LOL
12-22-2018, 06:41 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The raynox dcr250 is a terrific companion to the dfa100mm in my opinion. Get a step down ring so you can mount it to your dfa 100mm without the larger snap-on adapter. Magnification with the DCR250 and your macro will depend on what focal distance you set your macro lens to, at the 'infinity' mark, you'll get 0.8x, and at the minimum focusing distance you'll get a tasty 2x (more details, including working distances).

@Doundounba is a master of this combo, check out his flickr stream Pascal Gaudette | Flickr

Here's an example of mine at ~1.8x mag (Vanessa virginiensis):

12-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
Nice 😊👍But can you get a shot like this with a 100 mm lens with 1:1 magnicifaton?

12-22-2018, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I've never used a teleconverter. Will the focal length be 140 mm and the magnification remain at 1:1 or will it go up to 1:1.4? Which is 40 % magnification? Or am I wrong?
Focal length becomes 140mm. The minimum focal distance remains the same at 30cm, but here you'll have 1.4x magnification. I've used the tamron 1.4x convertor with my dfa100mm, it works well. It's a more modest increase in the magnification, but you don't get the working distance hit like with the raynox.