Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
helping those looking for Pentax DSLR cameras

can someone explain the differences between the categories used in the camera comparison tool?

it lists certain Pentax DSLR cameras into 4 categories: " Entry Level ", " Weather-Sealed ", " Advanced ", " Professional "

but does not give any description each of the class ( except " Weather-Sealed " of course )

I have seen queries about " I want a " Pentax DSLR camera " but other than being able to direct them to look at and compare specific separate Pentax Cameras, I cannot find a spot that defines the different classes:

is there a spot on the forum where inquiring minds looking for cameras could find a short accurate description of each class to aid them in their quest for that camera they are seeking?

is the difference body style, physical material, controls, sensors etc ??

if it doesn't exist, can we create it here ?

thanks

12-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How old are those characterizations? And are they still valid?

When I think back to my K10, it was considered ‘professional’ by some folks, in 2006, but I’d grab something else today for a paying job

Today’s K70 is weather resistant and far more capable than, say, a K5, but it’s clearly an enthusiast focused camera with no ‘professional’ pretense (even if it’s used that way occasionally)

And the angst that was bouncing around here when the KP was announced showed that even Ricoh didn’t really get where it belonged in the lineup.

I think it will be challenging to categorize 15 years worth of DSLRs into such fixed categories...

-Eric
12-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
How old are those characterizations? And are they still valid?

When I think back to my K10, it was considered ‘professional’ by some folks, in 2006, but I’d grab something else today for a paying job

Today’s K70 is weather resistant and far more capable than, say, a K5, but it’s clearly an enthusiast focused camera with no ‘professional’ pretense (even if it’s used that way occasionally)

And the angst that was bouncing around here when the KP was announced showed that even Ricoh didn’t really get where it belonged in the lineup.

I think it will be challenging to categorize 15 years worth of DSLRs into such fixed categories...

-Eric
these are the designations found in the forum's comparison tool at the top -

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

when that was created or who created it or who placed what camera into what designation I do not know

I am not making them nor putting camera " A " into one or another

what I am asking is if asked, what do those designations mean ? what do we say when asked ?

they must mean something don't they

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-24-2018 at 07:34 AM.
12-24-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All Pentaxes are weather sealed . That's one of their selling points. There may be the odd camera that is not so check that.

Basically, Advanced have professional features and quality with an APS-C (crop) sensor. The professional are full frame and medium format sensors... and expensive! The others speak for themselves.

12-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

At the time we created the camera comparison page, Pentax had one more product line than they do currently (namely the entry-level segment).

Today, all cameras are weather-sealed. We have the upper entry-level K-70, advanced KP and K-3 II, and then the K-1 II and 645Z. It's a bit hard to categorize them since virtually all of these cameras (save for the K-70) are very well suited for pro work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There has long been a blur as to what constitutes "professional" grade in SLR cameras, going way back to film bodies. It depended on who was being asked. Some said it would have to have a metal body and weather sealing for durability while trekking in the outback. Others said a very high FPS and AF tracking for sports shooting as well. Others said only medium format would produce quality high enough.

The truth lies somewhere amongst all of these stated requirements, because a camera is a tool. If it is fully capable in producing a certain category of paid work, then at that point it becomes professional equipment for that category. I've been to weddings where I was very much surprised at the relatively modest equipment being used by the hired professionals from a studio. They got good results, and were very accomplished at producing framed prints, album books, etc of a high caliber. That is all that counts.

The great thing about the Pentax lineup is even its least model has wether sealing, a good controls set, a sturdy body, and is quite full-featured for making excellent quality photos. So much so, that it is not uncommon for a very advanced photographer, owning the top-level equipment, to also own this model as a backup or secondary body.

But as to the original question, it would be handy to have a comparison chart with a list of features, body construction, controls, etc. for easy reference. A common question that comes up is, why spend more money than for the least model. The common answer is you can hardly go wrong for the least price, but there are added quality aspects, design aspects of controls, and more in-depth features. So a chart of this nature would be of help, and if something is left out, could be updated.
12-24-2018, 12:20 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Entry Level: Can be used straight out of the box in full auto by someone with no experience (all Pentax DSLRs).

Advanced: What entry level becomes when you put everything in manual mode (all Pentax DSLRs).

Professional: What either of the above becomes when you earn your living using it (all Pentax DSLRs).

12-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
. . . it would be handy to have a comparison chart with a list of features, body construction, controls, etc. for easy reference. A common question that comes up is, why spend more money than for the least model. The common answer is you can hardly go wrong for the least price, but there are added quality aspects, design aspects of controls, and more in-depth features. So a chart of this nature would be of help, and if something is left out, could be updated.
the camera comparison tool does allow evaluation of different cameras but is limited to 4 at a time

a chart would be nice I agree so all could be compared on a screen

luckily, my computer skills are limited [ my in laws and younger brothers say all my skills are very limited ] so I am not going to try to make one

right now if I am asked or if I run across a thread where the OP is asking about the issue

I will include this thread as part of my response

please folks, continue to add to it - good stuff here