Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,658
I'd say 77 ltd. looking at what you have and aspirations.

Despite what folks say, the 18-135 and 16-85 are "better than kit but not top tier" lenses especially for the bokeh you like to employ. They are good lenses, just not that much better than what you own for what you want to use them for.
SO, I'm seeing a 31 ltd. or 77 ltd.
The 35 ƒ2 is also interesting but I really think you can narrow this down by sticking with f2 or under.
Those lenses with your 50 1.4 should really give you something to work with.

Is this where I add the jokes about "Fender Benders"?

01-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,964
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . . Is this where I add the jokes about "Fender Benders"?
are you putting that thought up for a vote ?
01-01-2019, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,987
I own the fa31 and 35. Both are very good. Neither will let you down. The 77 also is great. But one small complaint about all of these is the lack of quickshift. If that's something you regularly use it won't be possible with those lenses.
01-01-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,658
QuoteQuote:
are you putting that thought up for a vote ?
I'm restraining myself... and just letting y'all know how good i am at that.

01-01-2019, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,964
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm restraining myself . . .
oh

sorry at first glance

I read that as " retraining "

and thought - about time

wishing all a safe and prosperous 2019
01-01-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,561
Exactly. I also think the Tamron is easier to swing than the Kiron as it's smaller and lighter. I really like how versatile my 90mm f2.5 Adaptall Tamron is and see it as a perfect stand-in for the classic 85mm portrait lenses we hear so much about. The Kiron is good if you're okay with having a stand or tripod to use most any time. I use mine for copying film negatives.
01-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #37
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,658
QuoteQuote:
oh

sorry at first glance

I read that as " retraining "

and thought - about time

wishing all a safe and prosperous 2019
wow, getting a little nasty are we?
Is there a friendly way I'm supposed to read that, that I'm missing?

Sometimes even a smiley can't make up for a really nasty comment.

Or is this your way of remaining on my ignore list? I like to give folks a second chance every now and then. That sure looks to me like a cheap shot worthy of my ignore list. I'll give you another chance next year.

Please don't offer an opinion like that again unless in a separate thread where I might offer my opinion of you in return. Formality is the key here. You're never going to be my best bud.

Last edited by normhead; 01-01-2019 at 08:44 AM.
01-01-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,964
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
wow, getting a little nasty are we?
Is there a friendly way I'm supposed to read that, that I'm missing?

Sometimes even a smiley can't make up for a really nasty comment. . . .
i'm very sorry

it was meant to be humorous

but how I meant it doesn't matter, it is how you received it

so sorry about it, should I delete it?

and my apologies to the OP and others for causing this divergence from the intent of the thread


Last edited by aslyfox; 01-01-2019 at 09:05 AM.
01-01-2019, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,789
QuoteOriginally posted by FenderGirl Quote
Wellll, I didn't bite the bullet! I really need to play with my lens collection that I have now and see what I TRULY NEED in my arsenal. There will always be sales so I'm not afraid that I missed out on something and I also don't mind buying used. I just didn't feel right making a rush decision on a big chunk of change only to have "what ifs" later or "hey what about that lens?" feelings. I hadn't even considered the 16-85, nor the 20-40 and now I'm intrigued and will do research on those. I was leaning heavily towards the 31 limited or the 24-70.

I feel good with my decision to wait and I think I will figure it out before another major sale happens.

Thank you all!!
It is a good idea to wait and research like you mentioned. In the case of the 16-85 or any other lens, the use of a flash to accommodate for light in certain sjtuations may also come in handy. I would recommend the Yongnuo YN585 EX for Pentax. It has PTTL (Pentax through the lens metering) which will automatically meter the subject and disperse the correct amount of light for the scene. A majority of the time it is a very effective tool, and the flash can also be used in manual mode. I know your primary financial objective is a lens first, but I will list a shortcut to the product in case you are interested later. I will also list a modifier flash mount in case you ever need something to hold your flash while using an umbrella or other light modifier. Good luck with your decision.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

Godox S-Type Speedlite Bracket for Bowens S B&H Photo Video

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 12:19 PM ----------

I would not put the 16-85 lens in the category of any other than the HD (high definition) category which it belongs in. It is not comparable to the 18-135 in that way, and is on a different level than non HD Pentax lenses.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-01-2019 at 10:20 AM.
01-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #40
Forum Member
FenderGirl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 63
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
great decision

one option while you are waiting, decide whether you want to run your own trials by getting a rental:



Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

sometimes they offer cheap rentals, you can try out what you might be interested in and see how the equipment fits your style and then start looking for that equipment.
YES!!

Looking at renting the 24-70 from Borrow Lenses. Im super excited! They also have the 77 - maybe I'll rent both at the same time. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner as it is the perfect solution for me right now.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
It is a good idea to wait and research like you mentioned. In the case of the 16-85 or any other lens, the use of a flash to accommodate for light in certain sjtuations may also come in handy. I would recommend the Yongnuo YN585 EX for Pentax. It has PTTL (Pentax through the lens metering) which will automatically meter the subject and disperse the correct amount of light for the scene. A majority of the time it is a very effective tool, and the flash can also be used in manual mode. I know your primary financial objective is a lens first, but I will list a shortcut to the product in case you are interested later. I will also list a modifier flash mount in case you ever need something to hold your flash while using an umbrella or other light modifier. Good luck with your decision.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

Godox S-Type Speedlite Bracket for Bowens S B&H Photo Video

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 12:19 PM ----------

I would not put the 16-85 lens in the category of any other than the HD (high definition) category which it belongs in. It is not comparable to the 18-135 in that way, and is on a different level than non HD Pentax lenses.
Thank you! I will definitely look into this equipment as I do not have a flash at the moment. I do prefer natural lighting.
01-01-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 175
The 24-70 would be a very good option if you're going FF soon - but personally it's not something I find all that useful on APS-C. It's also worth considering some of the other F2.8 zooms in that focal length as well - I have the Sigma and it's very good and can be had a lot cheaper.

Personally if I was going to add a lens to your kit it'd be one of the 10-20mm Sigmas, as that was one of my most used lenses in APS-C. A macro lens would also be nice though and there are lots of options available.
01-01-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,561
The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is very well liked by some folks that shoot with crop bodies. I've never used it. Images taken with it seem good. I would definitely consider that lens over the Pentax 24-70 due to weight, size, and cost advantages held by the Tamron.
01-01-2019, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,964
QuoteOriginally posted by FenderGirl Quote
YES!!

Looking at renting the 24-70 from Borrow Lenses. Im super excited! They also have the 77 - maybe I'll rent both at the same time. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner as it is the perfect solution for me right now.. . .
if you don't mind, please post about your experiences with the company you choose to rent from in this thread:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

your review might help others
01-01-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is very well liked by some folks that shoot with crop bodies. I've never used it. Images taken with it seem good. I would definitely consider that lens over the Pentax 24-70 due to weight, size, and cost advantages held by the Tamron.
IMHO if going FF the difference between a 24-70 and a 28-75 is a big one. I find I really miss 24mm when I only have a lens that goes to 28mm at the wide end, while I've never really missed the difference between 70 & 75 at the long end. Less of an issue on APS-C of course but worth thinking about if FF is of interest.

I used to have one of the Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70 F2.6-2.8's in my film days but found I missed 24mm a lot. With FF I'm using a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 and find that's great as a general purpose lens (plus it's also a lot lighter than the Tokina was!).
01-01-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,987
If you plan to stay with APSC, the DA 50-135 is far more useful than the 24-70 in my opinion.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, category, da, decision, fa, flash, frame, hd, lens, lenses, light, love, macro, pentax, pentax help, people, photography, pictures, price, research, street, troubleshooting, type, yongnuo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Pentax lens will/would be your next purchase? (we need more posts;) taktoon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 104 08-30-2018 01:30 PM
645D ...645Z purchase or not to purchase ??? VSTAR Pentax Medium Format 20 03-09-2017 12:37 AM
Making it all add up... My next BIG purchase... 200 * F 2.8 or 300 * F 4? gm4life Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 39 02-12-2017 09:38 AM
Next lens purchase help nonstopnick Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 09-02-2015 04:56 PM
My next lens purchase should be? Chex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 54 04-11-2011 11:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top