Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fender girl

You are at the very start of your lens buying career. So many choices. Every choice will be right at the time of making it.

Your most enduring choice will be one that closely aligns with the narrative. Candies street and baby portrait. Some things to consider in making that choice

1) speed - your baby shots will be spontaneous in the main and will be in the light that prevails. A slow lens will limit you
2) lens size - candids are best done with smallish lens - short Tele helps as you want to be discrete
3) street - normal to widish angle needed

This seems to add up to a small fast zoom. Perhaps consider the HD 20-40mm?

Have fun in making the choice

12-31-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know it isn't far off from your 50's, but I think it's magic is such it doesn't matter, and that would be the 43. To me, it has a wonderful rendering that doesn't disappoint on either crop or full frame. It is compact and fast, so no reason to ever leave it at home. It's distinct enough I can often pick out photos taken with it easily as I browse through my shots, and i often find myself clicking through images and stopping and thinking I really like that one, and check, and it's the 43. Of course, it needs to be in a range you'd use, and you can't go wrong with the 77 either, but for a lens I can put on either my K3II or K-1 as my starting point to head out on general adventures, it's hard to beat.
12-31-2018, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
DA 35 f/2.4
DA 35 f/2.8 macro
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

on crop that would be my recommendation. 35mm on crop is equivalent to ~50mm on full frame (in terms of angle of view).

That should net you mid body portraits and both are light weight.

DFA 24-70 f/2.8 is a bigger full frame lens totally different from anything you've encountered thus far (in your lens lineup). Actually on crop it would give you some nice focal lengths for portraity stuff and would give you a nice entry into full frame if you should ever decide to go that route with Pentax.

Though personally I'd probably opt for a 30 or 35mm prime for crop. But this is a very personal decision -- what focal lengths you like really do seriously matter in your lens selection.

I'd slap that 18-55mm on your camera and go through the focal lengths to find the one(s) you value the most, then go from there.
This.

The DA20-40 Limited is currently below $500 and is another option. It has the beautiful Limited rendering and gives you 20mm wide angle at f/2.8. Good for street shooting.
It is f/4 at 40mm though, so not great subject separation. But you have that covered with your fast 50's and 135's.
12-31-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I agree regarding the DA 20-40mm Limited. However, one of the few deficits of the K-5 (I still have mine) is a sometimes shortcoming of speed and accuracy of its AF. But this is not noticeable, as I have found, when using my DA 18-135mm DC WR lens. In fact, this lens has one of the very fastest and most accurate AF of all lenses for Pentax, even on the K-5! It can also produce fine image quality in addition to its versatility. Very well built, yet compact.

For the types of uses you indicate, it would be a top candidate. You can zoom in for a candid, or zoom again for a group shot or to include the surrounding scenery. It is very good for portraits. When used at a virtual ideal FL of 70mm, it can still maintain f/4.5 aperture, and at that FL can produce a well-blurred background, with very good bokeh- which is unexpected for such a lens. I wouldn't be without mine, especially on the K-5. Not a true macro, but it can also produce very impressive closeups.

Since you already have a good, fast 50mm, in addition to the DA 18-135mm, you might also consider the DA 35mm f/2.4 as a normal, very sharp prime. The DA 12-24mmm for an excellent wide angle, or as someone else suggested, the DA 15mm f/4 Limited as a compact alternative.

12-31-2018, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FenderGirl Quote
So here's what I have now:

^ Pentax 18-55 kit lens
^ Pentax 55-300 lightweight telephoto (the cheaper one)
^ Sigma 28-105 3.8
^ an old Sears 135 2.8 with the Macro function
^ Pentax FA 50 1.4
^ Pentax A 50 2.0
^ Pentax M 50 1.7

So im thinking about one of the "Three Amigos" not sure which one but I really like the pics I've seen with the FA 77
Also considering a 100mm Macro lens (I have not dabbled in macro at all)
Aso considering the Pentax 24-70 2.8

I like candids, street photography, and after recently have a baby, portraits of my little lady bug

I noticed that holiday pricing ends tonight on these lenses so I need fast Help. Ive been mulling for days!!
I hope I'm not too late.

In your price range or close:

Da 12-24 f4 great ultra wide zoom
Da 16-85 great weather resistant all around lens.
Da 55 f1.4 better performing than the fa 50, but very duplicative of your current gear
Da 70 very sharp, compact, lovely portrait lens on apsc. Essentially fill frame coverage (corners may be so so on full frame).
Da 15 lovely lens,flare resistant, jewel ultra wide
Fa 43... Superb rendering, but overlaps a lot you already own.
Da 35 f2.8. Good normal lens. Also lovely macro for still objects.
Da 21 great street lens.
Dfa 100 can be useful portrait lens but can be too long for some people on apsc. Better coffee for macros of creepy crawled bugs than shorter lenses.
Da 40 tighter street option to close to existing lenses. Nice lens.
Da10-17 fun lens by all reports. Superb wide wide coverage. Fishy at widest end.
Da 18-135 super fun walk about lens. Not as wide... But much longer than 16-85.
Fa 35 f2, fully full frame nice fast normal on the k-5.
Dfa 50 see dfa 100 just shorter.
Da 40xs... See da 40, stealth on street is even better
Da 35 f2.4 slower and more plastic feeling than fa 35.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 12:15 AM ----------

The 20-40 is my recommendation... If you jumped before the price went back up. Current price is nearly $800.
12-31-2018, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I also agree about the FA 35mm f/2. One of the best primes for Pentax. A bit more money than the DA 35mm f/2.4, but still not all that expensive, and you get a better built lens, faster aperture, and comes with a dedicated hood.
12-31-2018, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a used 77 Ltd at B&H right now. Looks a little expensive for a used copy, but they may accept a lower offer (I'd send them a pdf of the "sold" listings from eBay to justify a lower offer).

If you take photos of single objects and want bokeh, if you have room to back up, there is no finer lens for you than the 77 Ltd. Try this, set your 55-300 fixed at around 77mm, go out and shoot the stuff you like to shoot. If that's the Point of View you want, then the 77 is totally going to be exciting for you. Normally, I'd echo the others that suggest a better general purpose lens (the 16-85), but if you're not using that end of the focal lengths, sure, the 77 may be "the one" for you.

12-31-2018, 11:32 PM - 5 Likes   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wellll, I didn't bite the bullet! I really need to play with my lens collection that I have now and see what I TRULY NEED in my arsenal. There will always be sales so I'm not afraid that I missed out on something and I also don't mind buying used. I just didn't feel right making a rush decision on a big chunk of change only to have "what ifs" later or "hey what about that lens?" feelings. I hadn't even considered the 16-85, nor the 20-40 and now I'm intrigued and will do research on those. I was leaning heavily towards the 31 limited or the 24-70.

I feel good with my decision to wait and I think I will figure it out before another major sale happens.

Thank you all!!
01-01-2019, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #24

I have the FA 77, 35f2, 50-135, 50mm f2.8 macro, and the 20-40

Love all these lenses, but often shoot with the 77 and the 20-40 because they are enjoyable to shoot with, more SO than the other very capable lenses.
01-01-2019, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel good with my decision to wait and I think I will figure it out before another major sale happens.
You don't need to be in a rush to capitalise on the current sales. It will happen again soon, you just have to be on the lookout for them.
Soooo much advice here, which is great, but only you will know which focal length you will use most often.

To me, the decision making should start with whether you want a zoom or a prime lens.
Once you've got that sorted, it will be much easier to decide on the focal length options.
The 31 is a brilliant lens. It might be just the right focal length on an APS-C camera for your purposes, and it's easy to find.
Second hand lenses like an FA 35/2 or a new DA 35/2.8 macro would be almost as good.

The 20-40 has some flexibility, but not as much as the 24-70.
Bear in mind the size of these lenses. The 20-40 is relatively small, but the 24-70 will be hefty.
All the best in working this out!
01-01-2019, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Wellll, I didn't bite the bullet! I really need to play with my lens collection that I have now and see what I TRULY NEED in my arsenal. . . .

Thank you all!!
great decision

one option while you are waiting, decide whether you want to run your own trials by getting a rental:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

sometimes they offer cheap rentals, you can try out what you might be interested in and see how the equipment fits your style and then start looking for that equipment.

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-01-2019 at 02:13 AM.
01-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

For me, the idea behind buying a new lens is that it will enable you to do things you can't do with your existing kit. On that basis, I would get the 100mm macro. Flowers, insects and the like can then be photographed on the next level. It makes a good portrait lens as well. It can be a bit long on crop frame, though. If portraits hold more appeal, get the 77mm.
01-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are several places you can rent Pentax lenses from, try a few out then decide. Good luck in your search.
01-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 15 SMC (have to buy used, sorry) for ultra-wide duties - landscapes and tight spaces (it's been useful for me to document new places I have rented before I moved in)
DA 18-135 - One high-quality zoom to rule them all and cover all bases. Alt: Tamron 17-50, Pentax 16-85, Sigma 17-70 & 17-50.
F 28 - Totally normal field of view on crop bodies like your K-5, small and perfect for street work.
FA 50 1.4 - Portrait time! (on crop)
DA 55-300 - The zoom that takes over from where the 18-135 leaves off.

There, boom, there's your kit. You already have a couple of these lenses. A couple of them you cannot buy new. Good luck.

EDIT: You might throw a macro lens in there. Old Tamron 90 f2.5's or the Kiron 105 f2.8 are great, I own both, they are very nice and not expensive.
01-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
. . . Good luck.

EDIT: You might throw a macro lens in there. Old Tamron 90 f2.5's or the Kiron 105 f2.8 are great, I own both, they are very nice and not expensive.
remember that on macro, depending on your style, a shorter focal length may not be very good with some subjects

that is why I use my SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro more than my SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro when I try macro of insects in the field

the Tamron 90 and Kiron 105 would have the same advantage