Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the K1 freeze when I had it at the beginning , it came from compatibility issue with the brand of Sony SD cards I used, the camera would sometimes freeze when attempting to review images. I discarded the Sony memory cards, and never had the issue again with Transcend and Sandisk memory cards. The other case of the K1 weird behavior was after going back from outside cold into a car with passengers, fogging the camera and lens, but also inducing moisture on the mount, after that even I couldn't figure what was wrong with the K1, but after letting the camera in a dry environment and cleaning lens mount, this never happened again.

An important thing I noticed with DLI90 batteries, is that the contacts of the batteries gets some kind of a mat layer over time, occurs with all batteries, and that alone reduces how full batteries are charged because the charger stops charging based on measure voltage level after the contact. And when battery contacts aren't very clean, the camera can't use the full capacity because the battery voltage drops across battery contacts, leading camera to believe that the battery is low when it's not. Cleaning battery contacts with dry paper until the contacts shine, and I get excellent battery life and no issue at all with the camera. The last time I had my K1 freeze was two year ago, it worked 100% flawless since then.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-04-2019 at 12:26 AM.
01-04-2019, 01:42 AM   #17
Lev
Veteran Member

Having ultra clean contacts is vital! Recently I had the flash attached to my K3 and it didn't fire, although it was synced with body because when I was half pressing the shutter it was responding. I removed it and looked at contacts, didn't find any moisture but anyway I cleaned it with alcohol and it worked again. Seems like there was some sort of invisible, thin layer of something.
01-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The black rectangle flashing up once a while means, the camera is going to crop mode very briefly. As Joe Dusel had the same issue and cleared it by retracting the lens, I would suggest to clean the mount on the camera, as well as on the lens and carefully look for any loose screw on the mount. Perhaps try an other lens (if available).
01-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Seems like there was some sort of invisible, thin layer of something.
Fingers exude some fatty substance (you can see finger marks when touching glasses) and that fat substance is an electrical insulator.
Unless you wash you hands every time before handling lens, camera or accessories, finger touch on electrical contacts can reduce contact quality.
Regular careful cleaning of electrical contacts, can reduce chance of camera dysfunction.

01-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I had the K1 freeze when I had it at the beginning , it came from compatibility issue with the brand of Sony SD cards I used, the camera would sometimes freeze when attempting to review images. I discarded the Sony memory cards, and never had the issue again with Transcend and Sandisk memory cards. The other case of the K1 weird behavior was after going back from outside cold into a car with passengers, fogging the camera and lens, but also inducing moisture on the mount, after that even I couldn't figure what was wrong with the K1, but after letting the camera in a dry environment and cleaning lens mount, this never happened again.

An important thing I noticed with DLI90 batteries, is that the contacts of the batteries gets some kind of a mat layer over time, occurs with all batteries, and that alone reduces how full batteries are charged because the charger stops charging based on measure voltage level after the contact. And when battery contacts aren't very clean, the camera can't use the full capacity because the battery voltage drops across battery contacts, leading camera to believe that the battery is low when it's not. Cleaning battery contacts with dry paper until the contacts shine, and I get excellent battery life and no issue at all with the camera.
The last time I had my K1 freeze was two year ago, it worked 100% flawless since then.
Excellent point. I had forgotten that issue during my sabbatical and appreciate your pointing it out.
01-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It has happened to me in the middle for bursts
My K1 has started to exhibit the same issue. Camera jams up and only removing the battery can turn it off. Mine has gone back to Pentax.
01-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'WR' really doesn't protect the lens contacts (if the lens is not removed from the camera)? OP's issue might be because of camera defect developing? new bugs with latest firmware updates?

01-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
Lev
Veteran Member

Fingers exude some fatty substance (you can see finger marks when touching glasses) and that fat substance is an electrical insulator.
Unless you wash you hands every time before handling lens, camera or accessories, finger touch on electrical contacts can reduce contact quality.
Regular careful cleaning of electrical contacts, can reduce chance of camera dysfunction.
Agree! I think bad battery can also create some residue on the contacts which may be very difficult to clean.
01-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #24

Original Poster
Appreciate all the feedback! I just cleaned the lens and body contact areas as well as the battery contact areas. The lens and body contact areas definitely had a little bit of grime on it. I won't know until I go out shooting for a day again but apartment tests seem positive.
01-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olsinglefin Quote
but apartment tests seem positive.
It's good to know because normally by the forum rules, you have to invite for a beer any Pentaxian in your area who supported you for a fix . You are lucky that no one from LA answered your post .

(!joke)
01-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by olsinglefin Quote
I just cleaned the lens and body contact areas as well as the battery contact areas
It solved very similar problem I had with K-S2 and 12-24. As one of posters wrote, isopropyl alcohol is recommended fluid for cleaning of electrical contacts.
01-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #27

Original Poster
It's good to know because normally by the forum rules, you have to invite for a beer any Pentaxian in your area who supported you for a fix . You are lucky that no one from LA answered your post .

(!joke)
haha I owe you guys for sure, Pentax support told me to just send it in when I called them, then told me the same thing when I emailed them.
01-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I have a new K-1 II (2 weeks). Twice, maybe 3 times, it has made a beep of some sort when I pressed the trigger but wouldn't take a photo. In each case I assumed I'd bumped something and, as I was in a hurry to get a shot, I turned it off and then back on and all was good. If it happens again I'll pay more attention to symptoms and settings.
09-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My K1 has started to exhibit the same issue. Camera jams up and only removing the battery can turn it off. Mine has gone back to Pentax.
What did Pentax say about the issue. This has happened to me twice on my last two shoots. It only happened in the beginning but it is very annoying.
09-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
What did Pentax say about the issue
They replaced the main electric board under warranty.