Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

How do you protect yours?

Just bought k-70 with 18-135mm lens after taking some advice from here.

Never owned a DSLR before and want to know how to keep it in tip top condition?

Would you recommend a filter for the lens?

Tools to keep dust off sensor?

Should I always leave the lens on?

Any other advise?

Thanks

01-05-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2

Don't store it in the bag when you're not using it. (and yeah, I'd get a bag for carrying )

Using a filter to protect the lens is a matter of a huge debate

You can buy a blower to remove dust from the sensor, but as long as you are not removing the lens dust will be a minor issue (unless dust otherwise is a huge issue where you live)

I do not know why there would be any benefits in constantly removing the lens from the camera while storing. I keep the lens on while in storage and have never known this to be an issue.
01-05-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
Don't store it in the bag when you're not using it. (and yeah, I'd get a bag for carrying )

So if you don't store it in a bag when you're not using it, do you take it to bed with you?
01-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Neeton Quote
Just bought k-70 with 18-135mm lens after taking some advice from here.

Never owned a DSLR before and want to know how to keep it in tip top condition?

Would you recommend a filter for the lens?

Tools to keep dust off sensor?

Should I always leave the lens on?

Any other advise?

Thanks
Congrats
The only thing that will protect that lens is a ...filter. If you bought it from a photo store and they did not give you one or offer one at a discount...then go back and get one. There are ones made for old camera lenses and are thicker and newer digital ones. Get the proper one and then look at the lens with a flashlight or your cell phone light. Clean the lens if it needs cleaning- dust, smudge, fingerprint. Then look at the backside of the filter and it may need cleaning. Screw it on , not too tightly, and look st the front and now leave it on. Which means..,you also need a lens cleaning kit...little air blower with micro cloth and cleaning solution...or you can spend more on newer carbon cleaning pens.

Always leave lens on to prevent dust and debris getting into camera.

Dust on sensor. Do not worry about it for now. If you bought it from a store then they can show you how to set the camera so you can see the sensor and then one day if it is dirty you can buy a cleaning kit ( buy a good one, check amazon prices) or pay someone to clean.

So for now....buy a filter, lens cleaning kit, and a small camera bag. Otherwise your next purchase is likely extra batteries and charger (amazon/great choices and cheap prices).

Enjoy and post photos!

01-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some quick thoughts

if you are not going to use it for a long period of time consider removing the battery from the camera

I use a " safety " filter that I remove when I take photos. the idea is to protect the lens while it isn't being used just in case

if you remove the lens cover the mount, you do have a front body cap don't you?

example:

Camera Front Body Cap & Rear Lens Cap Cover

amazon.com : (2 PACK) LXH Camera Front Body Cap & Rear Lens Cap Cover for Pentax DSLR Cameras & Pentax K-Mount Lens Fit Pentax DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r/x/m : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

and keep the front and rear of the lens covered
01-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax cameras are tough, so don't let anxiety ruin the enjoyment of your camera. Use common sense, don't put your camera/lenses on unstable objects/tripods, don't change lenses in wet or very dusty environments, don't let kids play with your camera, and don't use it as a hammer to hammer in nails.

Your gear is meant to get knocked around a bit, don't panic if it happens.
01-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate to start the filter debates, but (you know when they say that.... ) in my experience, a filter is likely to supply broken glass which may damage the front element when dropped. And a sturdy lens shade is likely to crumple when dropped, absorbing some impact. So, I am not of the protective filter school. I have found the problems with reflections and other anomalies to be more trouble that it is worth.

Use lens caps on both ends (when removed from camera). Use lens hoods while shooting. Keep the camera is a dry place. Leave a lens on the camera. Only exception might be a long, heavy lens. I'd keep smaller ones on it, but always remove a premium or heavy lens. They might be prone to put pressure on the lens mount depending on how the camera is sitting while not in use. If no lens, use a body cap on the camera. Wherever it is stored should be as dust-free as you can manage. A cabinet, etc.

Change lenses with the camera body opening pointing down so that any dust and dirt stirred up by removing the lens doesn't fall inside.

Most of all, don't store it too much. Get out and use it. Practice everything. Understand all the settings. Learn what you like and don't. Practice getting your images right and learning from the wrong ones. Have fun!!!

01-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I make sure it is not sitting in a puddle of water and the lens cap is on if I have the lens cap. All my problems have come from scenarios unpredictable.
01-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it’s situational. I often use a high quality protective filter or circular polarizer if there is a lot of dust or ocean spray. Indoors I rarely use them. I second the suggestion to use the lens caps and hood. As to leaving in a bag, I hope the OP will use the camera every day!
01-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dont use filters on any of my lenses for protection.

When not using the camera it is fine to leave it in the bag as long as the bag is not subject to extreme humidity or temperature changes. Also make sure you buy some of those big silical gel sachets and throw a few into your bag and anywhere else you keep optical/camera equipment.

I have been using DSLR cameras for 13 years. Never cleaned a sensor once. But do get a good quality rocket blower and never leave the camera mount open and exposed except when changing lenses.
01-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Otherwise your next purchase is likely extra batteries and charger (amazon/great choices and cheap prices).
I would go to B and H and buy some Watson batteries for your camera rather than Amazon. The Watson batteries have a good reputation and are only a little more expensive than the generic/unknown brands available on E bay. I also bought Nano coated clear filters for all my lenses but unless you are in an extreme climate a good cleaning kit and a few batteries are probably the next things to buy.

BTW, sensor cleaning swabs are cheap, and easy to use , but only if you see lots of dust spots that require editing out when shooting at smaller apertures. Shoot lots and enjoy!
01-05-2019, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I use a uv protection filter only if I want to avoid things that are in the air, like if I expect to go through an area where there may be a minor amount of smoke or fumes from sprays like in a hair salon for example. Otherwise, if I just have my lens hood on, that is enough protection, and the image quality is at its best. The uv protection filter is handy to have though. and may prove useful in certain circumstances for protection.

I leave my lenses on my camera to avoid dust, dirt, or any other contamination of the camera or lens. I remove the battery from my camera the same day I am finished shooting. I also store my batteries in separate fold top sandwich bags in a cabinet while I am not charging or using them. After moving a copy of the image files I shoot from my sd card to my computer, I store my sd card in a case, and when next used I format it in the camera it will be used in prior to shooting. As for the camera and lens combo itself, I put it in a large clear plastic bag that can be sealed, then I put that in a sealable plastic container with a towel underneath it. When I bring my camers on a shoot where I am not using a pack, I place it in another sealable plastic bag and place it in the passenger side seat, sometimes with the neck strap over the back of the seat headrest for further security. When I finish a shoot in cold weather, I place the camera in the sealed plastic bag, and when I get home I quickly remove the battery and sd card and put the camera back into the other sealable plastic bag again and back into the sealable plastic container with the towel in the bottom of it to avoid condensation.

I would recommend that you use Pentax brand batteries only in your camera. I tried other brands, and they did not perform near as well.

Below is a shortcut to a 62 mm UV protection filter. It is Hoya brand, which I have found to be an outstanding quality.

amazon.com : Hoya 62mm DMC Pro 1 UV Filter : Camera Lens Sky And Uv Filters : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-05-2019 at 06:26 PM.
01-05-2019, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #13

I put B+W clear MRC 007 filters on my lenses—more for protection from dust and sea spray than physical damage.

Like others, I keep a lens on the camera at all times to keep dust out. I also do quick lens switches and keep the lens opening on the camera facing downward when a lens isn’t attached.

The thing I see that scares me is people who sling their camera over their shoulder with no protection as it swings around while they are walking. If my camera is not in a bag, I make sure to support it with one hand while walking. If I am not carrying my whole camera bag, I bring my Lowepro Toploader so I can put my camera over my shoulder and have it protected against swinging into something.

Another thing to watch out for is using tripods. It is easy to have quick release plates accidentally come off a tripod. I have a double-action quick release plate, but I still would not throw my tripod over my shoulder with the camera attached. Maybe it would be fine without a quick-release, but all my tripods have a quick release so I can take the camera off easily.
01-05-2019, 06:33 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on your purchase, Dan!

The easiest way to store your camera and keep the IQ high is leave the lens on when being put away, and to keep the cap provided with the lens on at all times until you need to actually shoot the scene.

The cap goes right into my pocket, not the ground, a table top or my bag, so it doesn't 'develop legs' and is not seen again.

01-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
When I finish a shoot in cold weather, I place the camera in the sealed plastic bag
Good advice. Don't take a very cold camera directly into your lovely warm house.