Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I store all my gear in a cupboard with the doors always ajar so fresh air can circulate. Filters? Nah!

01-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
. . .

The thing I see that scares me is people who sling their camera over their shoulder with no protection as it swings around while they are walking. If my camera is not in a bag, I make sure to support it with one hand while walking. . . .
there are many ways to carry your camera and lens, and many threads about that.

one thing I think all would agree with. make sure to use any sling or strap if you have one attached to your camera:

I still remember my dad's instruction: don't pick up the camera without putting the strap around your neck, you paid for it, use it

[ I've cleaned that up a little for a " G " audience "

Personally, I am into over kill. I use an Optech USA utility sling with a Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate and keep my hand inserted into the hand grip as I walk along

YMMV
01-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to say, partly tongue in cheek, use the hell out of the camera so it's worn out in a couple of years. Then you can buy the next model that's twice as good.

Your local environment matters a lot. In Hawai'i, I cleaned my sensor every few months. In Colorado, less than once a year.

The only camera part that I've ever worn out (on three DSLRs) is one viewfinder eyecup. I wouldn't drop-test anything on purpose but the gear is pretty durable.
01-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
some quick thoughts

I use a " safety " filter that I remove when I take photos. the idea is to protect the lens while it isn't being used
For that I use a simple thing that comes with every new lens called a lens cap. UV light is not the issue it once was on film so for most situations it would be a needless expense.

01-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
. . . I wouldn't drop-test anything on purpose but the gear is pretty durable.
well, it wasn't on purpose, but I did have a " drop test " of a K 3 and a SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

the K 3 had no problems, the lens very little, damage to a filter and the hood

not going to do that again

I hope
01-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
For that I use a simple thing that comes with every new lens called a lens cap. UV light is not the issue it once was on film so for most situations it would be a needless expense.
very small expense for me since I don't buy the most expensive filters

quality of filter is no problem at all for me, since I remove the filter before taking photos

but I hope we don't turn this thread into the " filter war "
01-05-2019, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Filters are a major source of disagreement but here's the basic way I think of it:

1) protection from x advocates use them to protect against various things like dust salt and impact.

2) optical path advocates say any extra glass is a problem.

3) some people worry that in a damage situation the broken filter becomes itself an issue that a hood would have been less problematical to deal with.

I've seen things that back up all of these claims. My personal view is to go without because I'm rarely in a scenario where item 1 is an issue , and I've seen item 3 up close and I'm very careful with my lenses. And item 2 I have experienced negatively on some telephoto shots. But, my own experience isn't sufficient to really say either way for someone else. My dad uses expensive protective filters on all of his glass. I don't worry about it.

---------- Post added 01-05-19 at 11:16 PM ----------

Oh and if the camera is cold if your bag is good put it away before you come in and let it warm up slowly.

01-06-2019, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I'm not using it, I store my camera wherever is convenient

The Pentax advantage

Notice there is a weather sealed lens mounted. And the hood is protecting the front element. You can't see the lack of a protective filter, but for what it's worth, I never use them. And the water is mostly snow, but we were out on the open ocean in a Zodiac....
01-06-2019, 01:12 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
Don't store it in the bag when you're not using it. (and yeah, I'd get a bag for carrying )

Using a filter to protect the lens is a matter of a huge debate

You can buy a blower to remove dust from the sensor, but as long as you are not removing the lens dust will be a minor issue (unless dust otherwise is a huge issue where
I do not know why there would be any benefits in constantly removing the lens from the camera while storing. I keep the lens on while in storage and have never known this to be an issue.
Why can’t you store it in your bag?

---------- Post added 01-06-19 at 01:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Congrats
The only thing that will protect that lens is a ...filter. If you bought it from a photo store and they did not give you one or offer one at a discount...then go back and get one. There are ones made for old camera lenses and are thicker and newer digital ones. Get the proper one and then look at the lens with a flashlight or your cell phone light. Clean the lens if it needs cleaning- dust, smudge, fingerprint. Then look at the backside of the filter and it may need cleaning. Screw it on , not too tightly, and look st the front and now leave it on. Which means..,you also need a lens cleaning kit...little air blower with micro cloth and cleaning solution...or you can spend more on newer carbon cleaning pens.

Always leave lens on to prevent dust and debris getting into camera.

Dust on sensor. Do not worry about it for now. If you bought it from a store then they can show you how to set the camera so you can see the sensor and then one day if it is dirty you can buy a cleaning kit ( buy a good one, check amazon prices) or pay someone to clean.

So for now....buy a filter, lens cleaning kit, and a small camera bag. Otherwise your next purchase is likely extra batteries and charger (amazon/great choices and cheap prices).

Enjoy and post photos!
Bought it online as no retails shops stock Pentax locally. Doesn’t a filter alter the picture quality? Is there a 62mm plain clear protection filter that just protects it without effecting the camera and lens?
01-06-2019, 01:21 AM   #25
Lev
Veteran Member

I always clean bayonet and lens mount because these are main sources of dust and other particles for the sensor
01-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! There are almost as many variants on this topic as there are users. FWIW my practice is;

No filters,
Four spare batteries in rotation,
Strap around neck even when camera attached to rucksack by b-grip Uno,
Optech D-midsize neoprene cover which houses the camera when not in use, whichever of my three most used lenses is on it,
Lens on all the time,
Camera throat only open when changing lenses, and then for minimal time,
Camera throat facing downwards when lens changing to guard against dust entry,
Lens cap on all the time except when shooting, (less so with the PLM due to the presence of the hood),
Lens cap in shirt pocket when not on the lens,
Ultrasonic sensor cleaning on at startup and shutdown,
Clean the body and lens with lens wipes regularly. It rarely goes near sand or water!
01-06-2019, 03:09 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Neeton Quote
. . . Doesn’t a filter alter the picture quality? Is there a 62mm plain clear protection filter that just protects it without effecting the camera and lens?
" ah, there's the rub "

that is the issue, with modern DSLR, are filters necessary or do they interfere ?

a whole lot of " discussion " on that topic in the forum

Aside from using Neutral Density or Polarizing Filter, I don't have a filter mounted when actually taking photos.
01-06-2019, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Neeton Quote
Why can’t you store it in your bag?

Your bag may become damp or humid and fungus may start to thrive in the bag. So better to leave the camera somewhere dry with fresh air.
01-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I take my Pentax wherever just like Sandy, I never worry about how to protect it. One of our old forum members did a durability test a while back. As long as you are gentler than him, you should be good.

01-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
Your bag may become damp or humid and fungus may start to thrive in the bag. So better to leave the camera somewhere dry with fresh air.
Anything is possible. However... over the past 53 years using SLR and DSLR cameras, I have stored them exclusively in a high quality bags. I have taken my cameras to
rain forests and ocean environments, many times and put them in bags after use. I have never had any problems from moisture and/or fungus. In recent years I have wrapped
the camera w/ attached lens in a clean microfiber towels prior to storing them in a bag.

Works great for me, but YMMV.