Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2019, 01:39 AM   #1

Which type of memory and spare batteries are best?

Just bought a k-70 and there are 3-4 different types of memory card I can use and non brand batteries you can buy (some cheap ones from amazon hold more charge).

Memory... I will get a fast uhs1 which the camera will take but will a sd/sdxc/sdhc make a difference?

Batteries... has there been any testing done on these non branded ones?

Thanks all

01-06-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Every card thats faster then 40 MB/sec will fit.
There is no no brand battery that has a real higher capacity than the original. My oldest batterie for the K-1 ist from my K-5 roundabout 5 years old and still have the full capacity. I've used no names the work fine for roundabout one year, than the loose capacity, some of them significantly. In total - over the lifetime of my cameras - I would have paid the same for four no names as for one original.
01-06-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
San Disk extreme pro. My Wasabi batteries for my K-3 II are over 2 years old and still working like a champ.
01-06-2019, 03:18 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lots of helpful information can be found by going to the " Articles " area of the forums

although done in 2016, this is one of them:

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016

Read more at: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com SD Card Guide for Photographer

I have also read that some folks avoid the mini SD card because of " failures ". I use both and have no problems ( yet )

01-06-2019, 05:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Memory cards are what they are...any reputable manufacturer from a reputable source will do. Avoid ebay and other marketplaces as there are a lot of fakes about (especially for Sandisk). The main difference between types are the amount of support and software that comes with it. I personally use Sandisk Extreme Pro - not for their speed (which is far in excess of what it needs to be) but for their lifetime warranty and excellent support.

Batteries are either extremely expensive originals, or extremely cheap but poorer compatible aftermarket. Personally I have 1 original and 3 aftermarket - the 3 aftermarket batteries added up to 1/4 the price of 1 original and between them have about double the capacity so I went for a value judgement on that. They've lasted well, but I'm happy to replace a £5 battery if it fails. I refuse to spend £70 on a simple 1800mah lithium.
01-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I realize that the OP has a K 70 which does not accept a battery grip but for others who may read this thread with different Pentax camera bodies:

for those models that do accept battery grips, K 1, K 3 and K 5 series ( may be others ? ) a Pentax battery grip for those bodies will come with two battery trays including one that will accept AA batteries.

The KP's battery grip does not but does allow you to use the either original battery [ D-Li109 ] or the larger one [ D-190 ]
01-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Modern SD cards are now faster than the camera can utilize. So, get genuine name brand cards and be good to go.

Lots of opinions about batteries. Ive been shooting with 90 batteries since 2011 with my K5. The OEM Pentax batteries are generally great but not perfect as some seem to believe, I've had one go bad that was not my oldest battery. Of the aftermarket batteries the Washasbi have worked at the same level. Ive had more of them and had 2 go bad, same ratio of dead/alive as Pentax batteries. They cost me $7-8 each and Pentax batteries cost $40ish each. So, I get new Washabi batteries and am very satisfied. They also have the plus of coming with compact chargers (which I know are not as efficient in conserving lifespan but the are a) cheap, b) more portable, and c) allow me to have them in each camera bag to use in the field if needed).

For folks that like 100% OEM and don't care about cost, having 6-8 OEM batteries is great. For me, $64 vs $320 is a meaningful savings for a batch of batteries that work just fine, thanks.
01-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also a K-70. With the weasel words "It has only been used less than a year," my backup battery is a Watson B-3706. Up to this point it has worked as well as the original Pentax.

01-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is my take....
  • Batteries - For me using the K5/K5IIs and the K1, the OEM lasts the longest, but its the most expensive. I picked up several sets of Wasabi batteries. For me, they generally cost 1/4 of the OEMs and last about 3/4, so generally they are a good performer. When I go out astro shooting, I take 5 fully charged batteries and generally go through at least 2 and perhaps 3. However, I use liveview a lot - and that draws down the batteries. Also, I do like the Wasabi chargers with the fold out plugs. The Wasabi's charge substantially faster than the OEM's.
  • SD cards - There are only a few SD card manufacturers that serve everyone. There are also a lot of fake cards. As others have posted, buy from reputable retail and you will be find.

01-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've had good luck with the Watson brand batteries I've bought as extras from B&H. I generally use SanDisk SD cards. With a 24mp camera the file sizes being larger even with JPGEG images, I go with 32gb, or sometimes 64gb, both Extreme Pro.