Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 SD Card write time: gets worse with time?

Hi all,
I might be going mad, but I’m sure the K-1 is taking longer to clear the buffer after a burst of images than it used to. Has anyone else seen performance erode with time?
I’m using the same 32GB Sandisk UHS-1 SDHC ‘Extreme’ cards, writing RAW to each (so I have a backup for card failure). Card throughput should exceed the K-1 internal bus capabilities, I’d have thought. Most jpg custom features are turned off, as I know this slows things down.
The cards are closer to being full than normal though - I can only get another 88 images on them according to the body.
Before I reformat the cards and see if that improves things I thought I’d ask if anyone has experienced similar?

01-06-2019, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Memory cards age with wear and then they also are not completely reliable.

The fuller they get the slower they are.

Start off with completely wiping the card using the official format tool: SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association and then check again writing to the empty card.
01-06-2019, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

In my experience, the cards get slower over the time. I didn't see so much of the effect, because I'm using 128 GB cards - therefore it lasts longer before it happens. I think that is a problem of the wear leveling of data.
01-06-2019, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #4

As suggested above, try SDFormatter. Use the Overwrite Format option. This will format the card as much as possible to factory specs. Be sure to copy all your data off the card first.

01-06-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Perhaps a red herring, but cards can slow down if you delete shots in camera and then keep shooting - it has to do with how the files are written and the file allocation tables. I tend to copy my cards and then format them as a matter of routine.
The in camera format should be fine.
01-06-2019, 03:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting - the cards are indeed a few years old now and currently more full than normal. So that all figures.
Will reformat and test, then replace if necessary.
Thanks for the replies.
01-06-2019, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reformatting the cards should take care of that.

01-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HippyHippo Quote
I’m using the same 32GB Sandisk UHS-1 SDHC ‘Extreme’ cards
You said you use these cards, but what's the write speed of them?

And to the others who have given you advice, could that have anything to do with the slow down of a card?

I don't have that problem yet, I use 128GB cards also.
01-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You said you use these cards, but what's the write speed of them?

90MB/s. I read some time back that the K-1 data bus has a max throughout of around 30MB/s (see attached), so should be ample.

I also found this, which is interesting. It asserts that the two slots are different hardware so there can be issues when formatting in one slot then using in a different slot. I’ve never cared which went in which slot, so might be a factor.

https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-pentax-k-1/

01-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unfortunately, I don't have a K-1 but I have other Pentax cameras, a K-50 and a K-30, and a K-x but all my cards are 90MB/s. I was just asking about speed if it could be part of the case for your slowness for my benefit too. So, in the overall problem you're having, it doesn't matter what speed of the card, the slowness can happen even on 90MB/s cards. Good to know. Thanks.
01-06-2019, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also found this, which is interesting. It asserts that the two slots are different hardware so there can be issues when formatting in one slot then using in a different slot. I’ve never cared which went in which slot, so might be a factor
I swap cards all the time. Never had an issue.
01-06-2019, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok thanks everyone. Completely reformatting the cards has restored performance again.
01-06-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fat32 file system is the culprit. There are better file systems available but fat32 is a widely used standard that makes it very portable but this is one downside.
01-06-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe another reason, why I don't have the problem, is, after copying the pictures to the computer, I put back the card to the camera and format the card there. I don't delete pictures on the card, and the reformatting gives the card the chance of wear leveling the file system.
01-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok thanks everyone. Completely reformatting the cards has restored performance again.
Did you format in camera or with software ?