Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K10D battery issue

Just bought, at a bargain price, used K10D. Vendor specifically mentioned battery issue (showing depleted battery), but felt it might be the battery fitted. I took a risk, but the same thing occurs with other batteries which work in my K20D. Battery obviously being recognised as present, since without it nothing happens at all. Contacts look clean in battery chamber. Has anyone any suggestions (I have no skill - probably negative skill - in DIY repairs) before I try to find out how much a repair would set me back, please ? Or have I just spent £40 on a doorstop for the warmer weather ?

Thanks

Tony

01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that you can access the menu. If so, what firmware is installed? 1.31 is the last update.
01-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Docwrm

Unfortunately, no - nothing works at all. All controls seem to be operative, but no response from the body, with or without lens attached. Don't have mains lead to see if that makes any difference, though I suppose I could get one, as it'll fit K20D as well.
01-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks, Docwrm

Unfortunately, no - nothing works at all. All controls seem to be operative, but no response from the body, with or without lens attached. Don't have mains lead to see if that makes any difference, though I suppose I could get one, as it'll fit K20D as well.

Ok, Now I'm confused. In your OP you said that something happens when you insert a battery - but you get no response from the body? What does happen with a charged battery inserted?

01-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, not explaining myself well.

No battery - no response of any kind. All dials rotate as they should.

With battery - only response is battery depleted flashing. Screen doesn't light up, no indications in viewfinder, no response from menu or any other button. Same thing with or without lens (tried different batteries, different lenses, no lens - always the same).

Cheers

Tony
01-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry, not explaining myself well.

No battery - no response of any kind. All dials rotate as they should.

With battery - only response is battery depleted flashing. Screen doesn't light up, no indications in viewfinder, no response from menu or any other button. Same thing with or without lens (tried different batteries, different lenses, no lens - always the same).

Cheers

Tony
Ah, ok - got it. That doesn't sound encouraging. P47 of the manual covers the optional AC adapter:
01-11-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had that problem with my K-10 a few times with after market batteries. The charger would indicated full while the camera wouldn't operate.

Using Pentax batteries "fixed" this problem.

Another possibility is that, if the camera has been left with no power at all for a significant period of time the internal battery may need to recharge for a while (or replaced). That's the one that keeps menu settings and the internal clock operating even when the main battery is removed.

Good luck, it's a great camera!

01-11-2019, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could also try a battery grip for the K20D on the K10D and see if you can get power that way. They are the same battery grip for both cameras. That way you might rule out if it is your internal battery contacts.

Regards

Chris
01-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

I would try cleaning the contacts even if they look clean. Use a long cotton swab or one attached to a pen or pencil with an elastic band or sticky tape. A little alcohol should do the trick. Better yet use a contact cleaner such as a product in the US called DeOxit in a pen applicator.

Try leaving a fully charged battery in for 24 hours before turning the camera on. This will charge the clock backup battery.

Trying an AC adapter is also a good idea. The current adapters for the KP etc with the rectangular connector will work as well.
01-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
I've had that problem with my K-10 a few times with after market batteries. The charger would indicated full while the camera wouldn't operate.

Using Pentax batteries "fixed" this problem.

Another possibility is that, if the camera has been left with no power at all for a significant period of time the internal battery may need to recharge for a while (or replaced). That's the one that keeps menu settings and the internal clock operating even when the main battery is removed.

Good luck, it's a great camera!
Thanks for the suggestion - tried genuine Pentax and clones. Problem slightly different to yours - camera indicates battery depleted with any battery I've tried, even straight from K20D.

If it is backup battery, any suggestions as to how to sort it, please ? If powered from mains, might that help, do you think ?

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
You could also try a battery grip for the K20D on the K10D and see if you can get power that way. They are the same battery grip for both cameras. That way you might rule out if it is your internal battery contacts.

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris - already tried that too, both with and without internal battery - same result.

Cheers

Tony
01-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would try cleaning the contacts even if they look clean. Use a long cotton swab or one attached to a pen or pencil with an elastic band or sticky tape. A little alcohol should do the trick. Better yet use a contact cleaner such as a product in the US called DeOxit in a pen applicator.

Trying an AC adapter is also a good idea. The current adapters for the KP etc with the rectangular connector will work as well.
Thanks for the cleaning suggestion - I'll have a go tomorrow, when there may (if we're lucky !) be some daylight around.

Tony
01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is backup battery, any suggestions as to how to sort it, please ? If powered from mains, might that help, do you think ?

Tony
Just leave a charged battery in it for a few hours. If it's just a depleted internal battery it should recharge.

If it needs replacing that requires sending out for service since it's not a user replaceable part.
01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
Just leave a charged battery in it for a few hours. If it's just a depleted internal battery it should recharge.

If it needs replacing that requires sending out for service since it's not a user replaceable part.
Thanks very much - unfortunately, it does not appear to recognise a charged battery !

Tony
01-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks very much - unfortunately, it does not appear to recognise a charged battery !

Tony
It may not until the internal battery gains a charge. Can't hurt to leave a fully charged main battery in the camera overnight and see if another fully charged battery can work tomorrow after the internal has a chance to gain a charge. Good luck.
01-11-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It may not until the internal battery gains a charge. Can't hurt to leave a fully charged main battery in the camera overnight and see if another fully charged battery can work tomorrow after the internal has a chance to gain a charge. Good luck.
Cheers - that's what I'm trying now.